Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I dress my age?

Should I dress my age?

I think that I need a reality check by someone other than me. I am probably the oldest person on this site. I have dressed as a female for many, many years. I dress elegantly and have fine clothing and beautiful wigs. I keep my body in great shape and have a female curvy figure and great legs. I sometimes go out to fine venues where there is dancing and socialization. On these occasions, between 5-8 women will go out of their way to say, "you look fantastic or even beautiful'. Very occasionally men will do the same. I think they have read me and are being nice. I love the extraordinary feeling of looking elegant, and the mirror most often says beautiful. I often wear an attractive blond wig and well fitting dresses or pant suits. Social mores say that I should wear a gray wig and no body fitting clothing, and no female my age should be out dancing.

What do you think? Should I act my age?
    Kind Thoughts.
    Jacqueline

Banned Read only
    Jacqueline,
    One problem in providing an answer , we don't know how old you are .

I'm 68 so you could say the dress in my avatar is a little too young on me , especially as a girl well over half my age was wearing the same one at our Xmas party . I might be a grandparent but I'm not going to dress like an old grandma . I feel comfortable with a hem line on or just above my knee , I like to wear heels at the appropriate occasion . There's no reason why a woman in her seventies can't still dress nicely but very few dress like a tart .

Well, you don't say how old you are so we can't be sure you are the oldest.
    Anyway, I'm in Teresa's range and my wife always tells me I look about 50 when I go all out. I dress for how I look and how I feel and the heck with what others think.
    If you have the figure and the legs to wear clothing that is meant for lady much younger then why on earth would you want to go grey and dress your age??
    I refuse to dress like an old lady. My heart is young and as long as my body can carry the look then I'm going younger. Of course I'm not going to try to look 30, but I'll be damned if I'm going to look my age.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Banned Read only
    How old are you? I have noticed many CD/TG my age tend to dress like my grandmother. But in general I say no you don't as long as you can pull it off without lying to yourself. I am in my mid 50's and often dress like a woman in her 20's or 30's when I go out dancing.

I was wearing a cold shoulder high/low dress from Torrid with fishnets and wedge booties last night. I got lots of compliments from the younger GG's and was even called a MILF!
    Last edited by Robertacd; 03-02-2020 at 10:09 PM.

Jacqueline, I dress my age and I am a never-pantser. I feel very comfortable in conservative dresses. You should dress however makes you feel best.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

I NEVER go bare-legged! Kimberly A.'s Avatar
    Jacqueline, I am much younger than you, I'm only 36 so all I can do is just reiterate the advice I have read on this forum..... Dress age appropriate. On the other hand, wear what you're comfortable wearing. I mean, I honestly don't believe someone like you would dress in very revealing clothing, something that maybe a teen girl or woman in her early-20s would wear. (I wouldn't either, because I don't have the body for it anyway. LOL).
    My YouTube channel: Kimberly A.

I am 65, and like you, love the elegant look, but i love gray wigs no, and that is all i have now, but i almost never go out anymore. I am six foot six!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Alice Torn; 03-27-2020 at 06:20 PM.

I'm going to be 66 in a few months. I love leggings and tight dresses. I am naturally slender and exercise daily. Perhaps some think I should dress more conservative. That is, of course, their opinion. But I enjoy dressing in more form fitting and tight clothes. To each their own.

Ah-May-Lee
    You should dress and act the way you want to and not what others think you should do. In life you only do things that please yourself, don't try to please others, especially strangers.

I will always dress the way I want. In my life I do dress appropriate, that is what is appropriate for me and not what others think. There is no fun in life if one has to follow a set of rules on what is an appropriate way to live.

Jacqueline, if you enjoy the way you dress and enjoy the way you live then there is no reason to change that.
    In solitude where we are least alone. Byron

“Act your age!” They said... “Fine,” I replied. “Then I will choose 27 as ‘my age’, because I feel that suits me. The fact that my ID says I am 62 is irrelevant!”

Age is a number, not a definition of who you are or how you must behave! I am 62, MtF trans, and have been living full time female for the last 18 months. I started dressing as a woman rather late in life, six years ago. And I quickly discovered that when I am presenting as a woman, most people honestly believed I was in the mid-20’s to mid-40’s age range! I love going out dancing, and have the energy to outpace ladies half my age. I am in excellent physical shape, with long, well-toned legs which my cisgender lady friends are jealous of! Not one of my wigs has ever had a single grey hair. I have a youthful face, with only very small wrinkles at the corners of my eyes. Now that I have a semi-permanently attached hair system, I enjoy having gorgeous dark auburn hair that falls to even with my arm pits. My natural hair is dyed to exactly match my hair system. I buy clothes at Hot Topic and other trendy stores, and they look great on me. Most of my skirts and dresses are mid thigh or higher, showing off my nice legs. I love living an active, energetic life. And I am fully accepted in my community just as I am.

So, why in the world would I want to change my look and behaviors to act more than 20 years older than I feel comfortable with? Most of the people I socialize with are much younger than me, and they feel I fit right in with their crowd. I did try a few social activities with people my age and older, and seriously felt I did not fit in with them at all! Besides, tge female part of my mind was repressed for so many decades that in terms of her own experiences in enjoying life, she is nowhere near my calendar age!

I have only had one friend suggest I should ‘embrace the grey’ and allow my hair to show the natural silver that would be expected at my age. My response was that my hair will be allowed to go grey when my face and body look like I ought to be going grey, and not until!
    Last edited by Ceera; 03-01-2020 at 12:53 PM.

Platinum Member
    Yes. Age doesn?t mean there are 5 year increments. But think in broad terms. I?d wear what attractive and fit mature woman would wear, and I think that might include women from 50 to 80. For someone much younger, that range might be 20-50...give or take a few years.

Its more important to dress appropriately for the situation. Unless of course, you are home alone. Then have at it.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Well, I am almost 69 and I wear a gray wig! I have had so many nice compliments on my wig from young ladies-late 20 to early 40! I dress conservatively but not necessarily age appropriately! As a matter of fact, I do not even consider it when buying clothes! I feel that my gray wig is appropriate for me! You go with what you feel is right for you! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

As usual, the best (most nuanced) answer is "it depends".
    If your aim is to blend with your feminine peers (as defined by things like age, culture and venue) you should do so. That doesn't mean you have to give up a personal sense of style, but you will have to develop that sense within those constraints.
    If, on the other hand, you don't worry about such things, there's no reason to not dress the way you want.
    For me, it's a bit of a mix. My avatar photo is "full blend", making me look like the old lady I am at last year Unity Banquet, especially when compared to some of Anandrea's entourage, but a casual evening out will see me pushing the envelope of eccentric old aunt chic. It's still age appropriate, but definitely a bit edgy. It's all who I am.

I am 69 and wear a gray wig because my skin is weather beaten enough that I can't pull off too young a look. Nonetheless I try to choose clothes that place me as a relatively fit young thinking older person. I love color too much to succumb to the grays and neutrals that they often advise for older women.
    I am a vessel of the goddess. Let me express my calling to a feminine life through nurturing love and relatedness.

Age appropriate? Ummm...maybe you missed JLo and Shakira's performances (and outfits) during the recent Super Bowl half-time show. Cher and Tina Turner...did they ever worry about age limitations in the way they dressed, and both are in their 70's now? Shania Twain is not quite there yet, but she still dresses on stage like the "hottie" she continues to be.

Maybe the primary fashion choices for GG's these days include skinny, ripped jeans, sweatpants, leggings, oversized baggy tops, runners and/or flip-flops, or conversely, short gray hair, "Mom" jeans, "sensible" shoes and matronly outfits for the older crowd, but not for this "gurl".

I will continue to dress stylishly and elegantly as befits a sophisticated lady of "a certain age", and I will be the one who decides what that "certain age" will be in terms of what looks good on me - and that usually means about 10-15 years younger than my actual biological age (early 70's). As for the grunge-wearing GG's out there who have decided to give up trying to look their best, let me be your "wake up call" and raise the bar for you.

Yes, it can be a thankless job at times, but someone has to do it...

Gold Member
    I am 72, almost 73, and I only dress indoor's. Being Handicapped, with mobile issues,
    I just dress simply, not to any age.
    rader

Ah-May-Lee
    Another thing. Having grey hair doesn't always mean one is old, young people dye their hair grey too.superthumb.jpg
    In solitude where we are least alone. Byron

Silver Member
    Basically, all of the above. I'll be damned if I'm going to dress like a fashionable OLD lady, though I'm 85 years old. I'm told that my face, when made up, is that of a woman 50 to 60 yo. I dress to that age span and love it.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    67 here and I wear what I like and see no reason to dress like a stodgy old dingbat.

Jaqueline:
    You probably have some idea of the age that others especially GG?s perceive you to be when presenting as a woman. That?s the target age you should be dressing to. We can?t get any younger by magic, but some of us have bern blessed by genetics and makeup to look younger than our genetic age. Figure out where you fit in and blend like that audience in the Northeast.

Zoey

Leslie A big amen to your post!! Nothing is more beautiful to me, than a senior classy lady, with longer hair, in a knee length attractive dress or skirt combo and hose, and feminine shoes. Sad so few .

How can I dress my age, I?ve never been this old before.

Just be you. If you have a figure why now show it, I do.

It?s about being accepted just the way you are. This is the feed back you get. Although I don?t know how you look.

So with me at 64, it?s partly some expressing acceptance and I have had them say exactly that, others I guess think I?m pretty, I have my moments I guess.

One of my favorite things about dressing is to fool people as to what my true age is. Granted makeup and a wig only help a certain amount but it does make a difference and many GGs were surprised when I told them my age. so why not dress to look a bit younger. The only drawback is that my body did not handle some of the dance moves a couple of girls had me doing. I was pretty sore the next day but it was well worth it.

Sandi

Thanks for all of your comments and helpful encouragement. It is good to do a reality check occasionally
    There are really a l lot of beautiful looking women who are near my age. Actually one gal who responded is my age, 85.
    Amelie- I think that I will try a stylish gray wig like yours. You look grand.
    Last edited by Di; 03-02-2020 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Removed the pic you were commenting on

If you've made it to 85 and have been dressing for a long time, why do you care what other people think?

Just make yourself happy and go for it.