Thread: Progesterone.

Progesterone.

I know there had been other threads about this topic but I want to share my own experience on it.
    I just started las week and have so far taking 2 pills if progesterone.
    The reason is even thought my boobs had grown near B cup the shape is not exactly the rounded femenine boob but kind of gynecomastia, not exactly but that's the way I feel it.
    With bra or even without it with a tshirt boobs look great but I read and did my research and progesterone works as when women are pregnant making milk granular growth, that bugs the more rounded shape but is a limited growth doctor advise me about side effects as mood changing, again sensitivity on the breast and nipples etc but as my research and doctor confirm no risks of cancer or other illnesses development.
    Any thoughts about it?

Devi
    HRT 042018; Full time 032019
    Orchiectomy 062020; gender& name legal changed 102020
    Electrolysis face begins 082019, in genitals for GCS 062021
    Breast augmentation surgery 012022
    GCS 072022; BBL 022023; GCS revision 04203;END TRANSITION

In the normal female cycle, progesterone is secreted from the spot in the ovary left after ovulation, the corpus luteum. The role of progesterone is to prepare the lining of the uterus, the endometrium, so that is receptive to a fertilized egg. If there is no implantation, progesterone levels drop and the cycle ends. The increased progesterone is associated with varying degrees of skin oiliness, acne eruption, mood swings, increased appetite, fluid retention, etc. These are all symptoms similar to androgen effects to which progesterone is closely related. If pregnancy occurs, the progesterone levels remain elevated and human chorionic gonadotrophin (HCG) levels start rising to support the pregnancy.

Not being disrespectful, Devi, but a good plastic surgeon could get things done quicker, more effectively, and without risks of hormonal side effects.

Aspiring Member
    Hi Devi,

I am not sure how much research you have done. When I did my research on this topic just a little over a year ago, before I started taking it, I found that it is very easy to go down the rabbit hole when it comes to reading about side effects for 2 reasons: there are different kinds of estogen, and there are different kinds of progesterone. There are a lot of risk documented for some, and none for others. Also, effect on AMAB and AFAB is different. I summarized my finding in the thread I wrote a year ago. Instead of repeating myself here, here is the LINK.

To use this opportunity, I can throw an update that after another year of progesterone, my breast are very feminine like shape as was expected due to more retention of fluid in them. Also, I think it contributes to the soreness that doesn't go away. I mean it is not like at the start of hormone treatment, but for example, it hurts to press on the nipples from a side despite being on hormones for 2.5 years. Also, despite running 20 miles a week, it is very challenging to keep the weight off. It creeps up slowly but surely and this is after of almost 6-7 years of stable weight. That's about it. I am planning to stay on progesterone for the rest of my life because until research will prove otherwise, I believe it protects me more than harms.

Good luck.
    Katya

Aspiring Member
    I use Androcur as my t-blocker, and my endo says that Cyproterone Acetate (Androcur) is actually a progestin, a synthetic progesterone. So I guess I'm getting a "two-fer": a t-blocker and progesterone at the same time. So hopefully if there are any benefits to taking progesterone, I'll get to experience them. As for my HRT, I am simply stunned at the speed that my desire and ability melted away. I'm very happy about that as sexual frustration was a big distraction for me, on the transition path.

Aspiring Member
    Many men on testosterone also use low dose progesterone to help increase testosterone. It's a very top level hormone that can help with down stream hormones

I don't want to look like I'm bragging of my knowledge but I'd read all the posts here and the suggested links and the mentioned out resources now and I found that several were my own sources and match with 45 minutes on the meeting with my endo, btw, he's not just a regular endo but he's part of a team of professionals dedicated mostly to trans people.
    I asked him like 3 or more months ago and he told me to do my own research first (I mention that in the thread mentioned here about same topic) so this time I met him we re discuss again cons and pros and I decide to assume the risks, that are not bigger than be in estrogens or spiro, which I'll stop soon because I'll hot orchi.
    I really thanks all the time you ladies dedicated for this thread because there's a lot if wisdom in this web.

Devi
    HRT 042018; Full time 032019
    Orchiectomy 062020; gender& name legal changed 102020
    Electrolysis face begins 082019, in genitals for GCS 062021
    Breast augmentation surgery 012022
    GCS 072022; BBL 022023; GCS revision 04203;END TRANSITION

Aspiring Member
    Hi Devi,

You're welcome. While many of us in some parts of the US are fortunate to be treated by trans dedicated doctors, many more have doctors without the proper knowledge and experience in the trans healthcare or not supportive doctors at all. I always think about those who struggle with access to the proper healthcare services. While forum is not the best place to get a medical advice, some links to scientific studies can be useful and help all with their own research.

Little Mrs. Snarky! Nadine Spirit's Avatar
    Hiya - here is my experience.....

I went 2 years on lower levels of estrogen, about low-normal for cis-females, and using spiro. No progesterone. I didn't think much of it as where I live the doctor I was working with is the only doctor doing trans care within about 2-3 hundred miles.

I worked with her at the recommendation of my therapist, however when my therapist changed who she was recommending, I followed her advice and switched right after I had my orchi done. I now drive about 4 hours to see my new doctor.

Her thoughts.... my body was estrogen starved. I began using implanted estrogen pellets giving me a much higher dose. Obviously I stopped the spiro. And I also began using progesterone. My old doctor never brought up progesterone ever. My new doctor's thoughts are that progesterone helps to stabilize one's mood with higher levels of estrogen. Thus my dose was doubled when my e went up and I began to cry at the drop of a hat.

I have been on it now for about a year. It has for sure improved everything. It is hard to tell for sure, however, mood wise it definitely helped when I doubled the dose. I think it is hard to single out the progesterone effects as lots changed for me at the same time, more estrogen, adding progesterone, having the orchi, stopping the spiro. But, according to my doctor, the rounder breasts I am now experiencing are due fully to the progesterone.

Overall, I am the happiest I have ever been with my chemical adjustments, and I wouldn't change a thing!

I messaged my endo about what she thought of Progesterone! She said we would discuss it at mt next appointment in July! What questions should I ask her? Thanks! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Aspiring Member
    Lana Mae,
    Read this study, and then ask your Dr. why can't you be on micronized progesterone.
    https://academic.oup.com/jcem/articl...qCVhhtz7oUTm-k

Hi Lana Mae
    I too read the link on progesterone therapy listed by other poster here and my endo jumped right on it I am on mono therapy of estriodol and when I combined it with prometrium progesterone my libido has taken off in a wild way !!! the report is a good read and the info others have provided is good too especially as to the typical internet info is all over the place
    hugs phylis

Saw endo today! She started me on micronized progesterone! Yeah! She said I am healthy! I also lost 7 pounds in 6 months-185! Yes! Life is good even during a pandemic! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Across this country many doctors are still using treatment plans that are woefully out of date. Here in Detroit we have an amazing young doctor named William Powers. With nearly 1000 trans patients his hands on experience has led him to some state of the art treatments in HRT. I encourage you to seek out his online YouTube and Reddit postings about his findings. But here is one specifically about progesterone.

https://youtu.be/JYHvSISDh3E

Aspiring Member
    By the way ... might just as well mention here. I tried progesterone rectally for 3 months, same dosage as I did orally. My breast became more sore at the start again, but hard to tell if they got larger
    or not. My nipples are still not as big as I hoped. When I checked progesterone level 3 months later, it was only 2.2 ng/mL. My levels were 1.9-4.6 on oral before, so no improvements from rectal for me. I wrote about this on Powers' sub-reddit and he commented:

"I can say that overall, patients seem to get superior progesterone levels using rectal but there are certainly exceptions to that rule. The patient that has the highest progesterone levels in the whole practice takes it orally and has higher levels orally than they do rectally. Per usual transgender people are weird and have strange enzyme polymorphisms. That being said the above graph compares between vaginal and rectal which only works with cisgender vaginas or those created from peritoneum or colon.

Lately I have been giving people one oral and one rectal simultaneously just to mix up the metabolites and the absorption duration to keep levels up higher for longer. Sometimes that works as well. It's sort of a your mileage may vary situation"

I reviewed my bloodwork with my endo, and he said that he prefers me taking progesterone orally, to which I agreed. However, he agreed to let me double my dosage, and split it in two - taking twice a day. This way, I can maintain higher level longer in my body due to short half-life of micronized progesterone when taken orally. Next lab check is in November. I will be watching for physical changes for the next 3 months.

Katya