Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will I Be Recognized?

Will I Be Recognized?

I saw this meme on Tumblr and thought it was very fitting for those that are scared about going out into the real world dressed as a woman.
    Deborah

My desire is to create an illusion that is a compliment to all women.
    It is meant to uphold and celebrate their presence and beauty.

Banned Read only
    Deborah,
    It's perfectly true even if I don't walk down the High Street in my underwear !!

I've had to spell it out to people I knew and even then it took several minutes for the penny to drop .

The mixed situation is trickier although it hasn't proved a problem , some of my old friends in my painting group also know me in male mode others only know me as Teresa ( or Terri to them ) it really hasn't made any difference . It all depends on how you wish to present yourself when out in the RW .

Platinum Member
    Does that mean "If you can recognize yourself, they can too!"

I would argue anyone looking in the mirror dressed en femme would recognise themselves as they know its themselves even if someone they
    know would not recognise them. x

Banned Read only
    I have yet to see anyone here post a before and after picture where they are unrecognizable en-femme.

The only people I know that can even come close to that is a few of local Drag Queens. But that's just because of the over the top makeup, giant wigs, and all totally changes their appearance.

Deborah,

I posted a little while ago about the dramatic changes to be seen in the Boy Vs Girl section.

One of the replies;

Quote Originally Posted by Suzi Q View Post
    Helen,

I recently started a thread " How easy are you to recognize when dressing" that got 88 replies. I have been within five feet of a longtime former employee and his wife who all know me, face to face and they didn't recognize me. I've walked past other employees at car shows and they haven't shone any signs of knowing who I am. If you are not with someone they would associate you with (spouse or friend), or in a highly recognizable vehicle, or in a location they associate you with, your transformation will fool most people.

Suzi Q
    When we look in the mirror even with significant transformation achieved we still know it's us so not recognizing ourselves is difficult. We may like what we see and we may be aware of just how different we look but it's only once we test it in the RW that we really know for certain.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

Platinum Member
    Pretty sure that anyone who knows me would recognize me regardless of how I am dressed. My iPad does.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I ran into my daughter and son in law one time and they walked right past me.
    A lot of it has to do with the people you are worried about.
    If they know you dress then yes if they don't know they would never expect to see you dressed enfemme so more than likely they see what looks to be a woman so therefore it couldn't be you.
    Back in 2010 I was having dinner with a GG friend and a man I worked with and his wife sat two tables over.
    All thru dinner he would glance over not a stare just a normal glance.
    Never a word at work was ever said so my guess is he didn't recognize me.
    Last edited by Tracii G; 03-11-2020 at 06:54 PM.

Whether you are recognized by a friend or relative really depends on how carefully you have dressed and made up yourself. How you carry yourself and how you walk. I have always believed, but not tested, the idea that even my wife would not recognize me if she sat 10 ft. away. A few weeks ago I was in a fine hotel lobby in line and I was standing behind a young woman who glanced at me and whirled around and said,"You rock....I mean it you really rock.". Had I been dressed up nicely as I usually do as a guy, she would not have even glanced at me for more than a microsecond.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I think it may be implying trans r delusional!?
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I was shopping last Saturday afternoon at a local upscale shopping center and as I was walking around inside an Urban Outfitters looking for skinny jeans I saw my neighbor and her daughter. Although my natural hair is currently down to the middle of my back (thus no wig), my biggest concern was the purse I was carrying which is a distinive tooled leather that I use in all modes of dress. I quietly walked around to the other side of the store and out into the obscurity of the street. Would she have noticed me? Not sure, but at 6' 1" (186cm I think) I do stand out a bit! Maybe, in some ways, I wish she had seen me.

Someone at work and who worked with me personally, just met my sister at a restaurant. She jokingly said "she looked like me in drag. My facial features must be very familiar and something I dont notice in myself or in my sister.
    Escapism isn't necessarily bad, but is definitely unhealthy in the long term. While helpful in the short term, things will degrade over time. At some point, the escapee will have to face the issue. Things simply blowing over isn't really going to happen in many situations.

Reality Check
    I think it's possible to do the crossdressing thing to the point where you are not easily recognizable. That is, people who know you wouldn't recognize you walking down the street or shopping in the mall.

Where it changes is when there are outside things to connect the female you to the male you. Obviously, walking out your front door and getting into your car world be one of these things. Being in the company of your wife is another. Hanging around places where you hang out as a male would help people to recognize you.

Giving people time to study you gives them a chance to recognize you. Sitting at a table in a restaurant for twenty minutes is an example.
    Krisi

Aspiring Member
    Despite many easy opportunities, no one has indicated that they recognized me as my male self when I am en femme.

How would I most likely get recognized? By my car.

I drive a ?theft resistant? 30+ year old Buick. Many of my friends and employees over the years have told me they knew I was nearby because they recognized my ?distinctive? car nearby.

Banned Read only
    The recognition situation is an odd one , if many admitted it they would love to be recognised , to be told you make a great woman and hope everyone realises it . The problem comes when others aren't so impressed by it so we end up falling off that Pink Cloud with quite a bump !

For me it's gone round in a circle as I progressed from being hidden deep in the closet . Now I prefer not to be recognised as a man but at times I've found I've had to reveal the truth when they haven't realised . When I had new tyres fitted I bought them from a GG who I'd photographed her wedding , the same situation occured when I went for a coffee in a shop owned by another GG who was a bride I'd taken pictures of , even face to face I had to spell it out and then it took a few moments before the penny dropped .

It all depends! My son said he would walk right past me if we met on the street! The other day, a lady who I worked with that was out with complications with her pregnancy saw me in the drug store and said Harry is that you? She then said she saw me and said to herself I recognize that face! She was complimentary and was happy all was going well with Lana! So, it just depends! It also depends on if you are with your wife who people associate you with! As was mentioned, a unique car or something that ties to you! Generally however, people are looking for male you and do not notice female you! Just my $0.02! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

I think if you put up enough makeup, a wig that changes your hair style considerably and if you hide your most recognisable features, like tattoos etc, someone who is passing by, won't recognise you. If they have time to look at you closely, like in photos, hi-res video, or up close in person, you really have to look different not to be recognised by someone who knows you well. I know I can do part one, but not part two, so it's always a possibility to get outed by people I know. I think it happened already, but I was lucky a person didn't confront me and is keeping that secret for her self as far as I know.

Yesterday I had to deliver a package to a friend, who knows about but has never seen Kaye, either in photos or flesh. My friend owns a hairdressers salon, and I took the package there. It was only when I spoke to her that she realised who I was. Later in a text message she said that she had not recognised me at first. I must admit that I was very pleased with her compliments.

I have had double takes but never recognition.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I like to think I wouldn't be recognised, made yes, but hopefully not cover blown, as it were.
    On the other hand, im not confident enough to put it to the test, and that's why I wont post face pics.

mbmeen I was laughing about this the other day. I usually just dress but no make up or wig etc.

The other week i decided to go for it, full make up, wig, nails and toe nails painted, jewellery and clothes of course.

My wife came home and after saying "hiya sexy" which i love she said "OMG you and ??, our youngest daughter look so
    alike when you are done up. She took a pic and we compared myself and my daughter and believe me it was scary how much
    we looked alike. The only thing I can say is my daughter is beautiful so I will take that as a compliment. x

I look like my sister when all dressed up. Fortunately she lives 500 miles from me.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Honestly there is no better disguise... I’ve walked right past family members in the store.
    the only limit that u set, is the one u set yourself.

The fact that a person, any person that the average Jane or Joe sees on the street is a cross dresser is so far down the list of prirorities for them that by the time they've remembered that thing that they had to do which they'd forgotten, you've gone on by and they've moved on to the next thing. To notice someone is a cross dresser, and then, not only a cross dresser but also someone that they know takes so much mental effort that it just doesn't happen (most of the time). Yes, we notice it, because it matters to us, so it's at the front of our mind and not, as with the average Jane or Joe, at the back of the average persons mind. We've been out in the past, me and my partner and when we've got back, I've said to her, did you see the cross dresser in M&S and the answer always is "No".

I think it's incredibly unlikely....that's not to say impossible though. The odds are massively against it