Thread: Given some clothes

Given some clothes

A little while back I told everyone a story about my mother in law and a day I spent with her going through a bunch of clothes and a discussion we had about my dressing. Well, the story goes on -

I got a surprise when I came home tonight. I've been out on travel for work for the last week and came in while my wife was still at work. Dumped out my suitcase and travel bag and put my dirty stuff in the laundry and went to my home office to sort through email. When I walked in I found a stack of clothes on the credenza and another in my chair, going through it there were skirts, blouses, a few swim suits, some bras and some shorts and shirts. Some of the clothes looked familiar and one of the swimsuits looked just like one I had seen my mother in law wear so that made me scratch my head.

When my wife came home I asked her about the clothes, she told me that they were from her mom. I told her I thought I recognized some of them, especially that one swimsuit and she laughed and said that her mom had called her and asked her if I might be interested in some of her old clothes. She told her sure and if there were things I didn't want we would donate them so her mom dropped them by for me.

We had a good chuckle and I asked her if that meant she is even more relaxed with my dressing now? Apparently so she said and told me I should call her mom and say thanks. So I did, called her and talked to her for a few minutes and told her I appreciated the clothes. She told me she would have more if I was interested, she was cleaning out her closet and dresser and thought of me right away and that I might want them. She thought I would appreciate the swimsuits since I had joked with her about going swimming with her and wearing a women's suit, now I would have something she would approve of, not too flashy or racy, that I could wear if we ever did. Ha ha (her laughing).

Most of the things are definitely not my style but I won't tell her that. My wife said I needed to ask her to go with us to the nail salon, just might do that. Major step and I love them both for the gift they are - my wife and her mom.

Heather, You are one lucky girl for sure! To have your wife and her mother on board with your dressing is simply wonderful! The fact that your MIL thought to give her things to you is something to really appreciate, I am happy you thanked her. Lucky you!
    Crissy

Yes, it is the thought that counts! Especially in this case!

Beautiful story. Thank you.

That is great! Both of their support is a blessing

Silver Member
    That’s a really lovely read and how nice to have both an understanding wife and now mother in law too, thanks for sharing

You have great women in your life

It great when it all works out

I congratulate you on a great relationship with both your wife and MIL. I used to enjoy my late wife's clothes and her mother's too. It wasn't in the open with the MIL like you are but we were very close. Reading your post broght back wonderful memories. Thanks for sharing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Fran
    It's worth something just being around to Fuss!

Heather all i can say is some girls have all the luck!

Sounds a great next step in your journey!

funnily enough my Mother in Law gave a load of clothes to my Wife, she went through them and put most of them in a pile to be donated, so I went through them and harvested a few.

I see the style I am trying to create is somewhere between my Wife and my Mother in Law, ie in my early 50's I would probably pass easiest as an early '60s woman so looking to be smart, stylish and feminine to blend in

i love the idea that you come home and someone has left you a pile of clothes to enjoy! Sounds a great experience even if they are not your style

That's awesome. I have some of my mother in law's old clothes too (after my wife had first dibs). Definitely don't always pick everything since different styles, but definitely a few keepers and just great knowing the acceptance and support.

That is great to hear! How very fortunate!
    I just want to be me, and be happy.

Platinum Member
    Thanks for sharing your story. You are very fortunate to have an accepting wife and mother-in-law. I do concur with others that it is the thought that counts whether or not the clothes are your style. My personal belief on acceptance such as your relationship is an in-law is able to see her daughter has married a good person.

Platinum Member
    You are very fortunate. I suppose though, that good fortune comes at least in part from being a good person.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Thanks everyone. As I've said before I know my wife is a treasure and her mom is right up there with her.

Despite what my posts might make some folks think, it's been a long, frustrating, weird, and difficult winding road in my journey so I cherish all the positive it contains. Cherish ... foot, I embrace the positive in a MASSIVE bear hug.

What a great relationship.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.