My ex lives about a mile from me, we get along well, CD had nothing to do with our split. Our 3 kids go back and forth between our homes, we alternate weeks, but we do not stick to it very well if the kids plans favor one home over the other. My two oldest are in college, and the youngest is at her mothers house this week. Over the years, my closet has always been half female and half male clothing (well maybe 70/30). I never told my kids I CD but I assumed they might wonder about my clothes.
I was working from home today and of course I dress the part. Suddenly my front door opens and my older daughter is asking for me. She is home from college for spring break, which is now three weeks or longer due to Covid-19. I am in ladies jeans, blouse, light make up and pink nails. My daughter comes upstairs and knocks on my door, asks if I could put the bike rack on the car. She is going to pick up my son from college, his school is closing as well. I know she is short on time so I cannot delay her with out raising suspicions. Well, by now I have changed the blouse for a tee and quickly wiped the make up off (Thanks Sephora make up wipes) , the jeans I often wear in drab anyway, but the nails still are gorgeous bubble gum pink. Polish removal would take too long, so I just walked out and told her that I like to CD, especially when home alone. She asked why, and for that I have no good answer except that I like it. She hugged me and said "whatever makes you happy". I proceeded to install the bike rack on the car. She asked if I did my nails myself, and i confirmed. "Wow Dad, you are really good at painting nails!" I actually do think the years of practice paid off, if I say so myself. She left as soon as the rack was on the bike since she knew her brother was waiting for her as his school cleared out, so no time to talk. I did not want to dump this on her like this, she is going through a bit of a dilemma about the school she is enrolled and if it were the right choice. I hope she is taking it in stride like her outward appearance suggests but time will tell.
I actually thought my kids knew something since I assume kids go through their parents rooms. For instance, the other night my youngest was painting her nails and realized she left her remover at her moms house, she casually asked if she could borrow mine. I went to my room and got it for her. I do wear womens casual shoes in drab often and we all take our shoes off in the foyer and leave them there. I have to say, my oldest daughter had no idea about her Dad, and she is really bright. Oh well, for those of you who worry about keeping this from your kids, it appears it is not that hard to do so.