Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did you have a guiding light ?

Banned Read only

Did you have a guiding light ?

Back in 2013 when I joined the forum I didn't know what to expect or what direction I would take , I was greeted in the Introduction section by Marcelle (Isha ) she did turn out to be a kind of guiding light . She always understood , she never put anyone down , she had so much common sense and a sense of humour very much like my own . We also shared her highs and lows , the worse being when she recounted a story of being attacked . She was a Major in the Canadian Army and persevered and persisted till they accepted her back in the same rank as a female . She was the first to sow the seed in my mind of the possibility of social transition , my last contact before she left the forum was to retire from military life and buy a small homestead to live her life as Marcelle with a very trusting and supportive wife , I truly hope it worked out for her , I miss her input .

To me it's what the forum should be about , if you're lucky, find a guiding light so you can begin to believe in yourself and go onto build a happier life , I'm nearly there .

Aspiring Member
    For me, the closest to a guiding light was gaz. His comments were generally spot on with my line of thinking. With him around I didn't feel so unique in my views and thoughts. And then he had some issues with his wife and has been gone for a while. Bummer

Banned Read only
    Nope, I am on my own here.

Yes. It's interesting that you raise this subject Teresa because it is something that i have been thinking about recently as well.
    Whilst i have generally found this forum to be a fantastic place anyway, there is one long-term member that i have come to regard as something of a guiding light. I regard her input here with particular respect. Someone who will always tell people what they need to hear rather than what they want to hear.
    Over the last year in particular, her comments on my threads have gently challenged my thinking and as a result i have now reached a crossroads in my CDing journey. (But that's a subject for a new thread.)
    As you say, that's what a support forum should be about.
    Last edited by Krea; 03-12-2020 at 10:18 AM. Reason: clarification
    "The only way is onward. There is no turning back."

No one person comes to mind! Through threads and responses I learned and grew! My trip to Houston (courtesy of Jeri Ann) for a few days facilitated a greater growth! OK, maybe she was a mentor but only later in my journey! I was basically on my own! (Oh, and let me mention Keystone as a great experience for learning and growth! Sorry to hear they canceled!) I could mention others but it would be unfair to many others who I can not remember their names or have moved on! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Ah-May-Lee
    Nobody on this forum but there was someone on another forum that influenced me on being trans on the internet, that was CJ from Montreal. I don't know if I am allowed to post the name of the other forum.

Outside the internet I had few people guide me along. The first transsexual I met helped me a lot. Also an older guy helped me when life got rough. But mostly I was all alone.
    In solitude where we are least alone. Byron

Before the Internet, growing up in small town America, I would say it was more of a "National Guiding Light", as TG women like Rene Richards, Tula, Christine Jorgensen and Caroline Cossey blazed the trail, took the hits, and showed us that there were others out there that were intent on changing their bodies to match their brains in spite of "social norms". I believe this was the beginning of the TG movement as others gradually gained the courage to come out and be themselves, whether they be TS,CD,TG or any other definition that fits.
    Transtronaut

You must first find yourself before you can discover your future-

I'm new here, so no, no guiding lights here, but there are a number of people who have helped me along the way. Turning this round though, Teresa, you must be one of the Grandes Dames here, I see since back in 2013, and you've racked up a huge number of posts. I bet over all of those years you've shown a few on here what to do and just as importantly what not to do.

I took the first steps on my own. However, as my journey progressed I've gotten to know more liked-minded people. It's been a good experience, and will continue.

Banned Read only
    Suranne,
    I could have listed other members from the point when I joined but the forum has changed over the years since I've been here . Also had some heated debates but the one elements I miss most is the loss of members from Australia , New Zealand , South Africa and other countries , to chat to people from the other side of the World about TG issues and realise how much we share .

I wouldn't consider myself a guiding light but I always hope I have helped at least one person take the next step on their journey , if I have then it's been worth it .
    Last edited by Teresa; 03-12-2020 at 11:59 AM.

I don’t know about “guiding light” as in mentor, but I do have my drag mother. We joke that she’s more of a sister than a mother as it’s not really a mentor type situation, but in knowing her I’ve come to fully find all the joy in my dressing.

Not a single guiding light, but several frequent posters have said quite useful things early in my acceptance of this that were definitely quite guiding. At my GNOs there is member who feels quite motherly to me especially when I first joined the group.

None for me. I would not mind a mentor. Preferably a woman.

Aspiring Member
    My guiding light is my daughter, who is also trans! She's in her 20s and came out 3 years ago back around the time when I had resumed flirting with the idea. It is she who keeps telling me I can do it, it's within reach if I want it. She's way ahead of me in the process, my pioneer! We often go out together as "mother"/daughter. Last week she took me to my first trans support group meeting, preceded by a nice Korean dinner.
    Last edited by JeanTG; 03-13-2020 at 08:37 AM.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I did have one small guiding light here locally and we are still friends to this day.
    In 2008 when I joined here member Karren Hutton gave some sage advice and helped me a lot.
    I messed up quite a few times and she let me know in no uncertain terms how stupid I was being.
    I guess thats where I get my "tough love" approach.
    Back then your feelings didn't matter as much, if you were headed down the wrong path people would let you know in a hurry.
    Now you have to worry about hurting someones feelings or another member's when they stick their nose where it didn't belong and get their feeling hurt.
    Back then you could be honest and say what you feel now not so much.
    Last edited by Tracii G; 03-12-2020 at 02:22 PM.

Banned Read only
    I remember Karen Hutton, and I do miss her.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Don't hear much from her on FB either but she is there.

Karen Hutton was great, and in IMHO made this board better. I miss her humor and sage advice and wish she was still around. Please pass that along to her Traci if you have contact with her. Thx~
    Transtronaut

You must first find yourself before you can discover your future-

None for me... a couple of co?conspirators ? in Samm and ElizabethG . The forum , as a whole has guided me when I had yet another beard cover or breast form question. Maybe there should be a few guiding lights here..something to consider.
    Last edited by JocelynJames; 03-12-2020 at 06:27 PM.
    If you only knew the power of the pink fog! ~Joss

No single guiding light. I look at the girls on this site as more of a thousand points of light sharing a wealth of experience (both good and bad) to guide me on my way.
    Thanks y'all
    -peace
    -Gracie

No mentor per se, but shout outs to Jewel and Vanity, who operated transformation services in Houston on the early 2000's and had such positive impacts on so many, including myself. Hugs, Michelle

I echo Michelle's comment about Vanity and would add Amanda Richards. I "got my start" with Claire, who had a service here in Houston. She was great and very supportive and I miss her a lot - especially as a friend. However, when it came to putting together different looks, Vanity was exceptional, as is Amanda - both have a wonderful eye for colors and skill in creating different looks. I just wished I had more time to spend with all of them -- they would all have been great mentors.
    I am what I am and also what I am not!

I never had A guiding light, mine are many and distributed throughout the forum.

Little snippets of advice and suggestions, criticisms, guidance, KNOWLEDGE and ideas from others guides me all the time.

Yes Teresa, you have inspired me also.

So! Serves ya right. :-)
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Banned Read only
    Bev,
    Along with Isha ( Marcelle ) you were one of the first to greet me back in 2013 , I was also grateful for that , so I'm now very flattered to read I've inspired you .

My first (and best) guiding light was my late wife. She would show me what to wear, or rather, what not to wear, and was always helpful with my make up. It was only after she had gone that I started looking at the interweb and found this site.
    Whilst I wouldn't say that there has been any particular person that I have followed, there are some who's posts I always read and enjoy, even if I don't always agree with their point of view.
    BTW, it's good to see Beverly Simms back after a long absence.