Just about all of us would agree that we encounter little if any serious negativity in public. Maybe we just don't notice, maybe people are just polite, maybe we choose our venues to increase the likelihood of a positive experience. I've only recently stated using Yahoo. I'm sure I checked some box that indicated I'm interested in LGBTQ issues, so I see new ones every day, and I usually read some of the comments. Despite my own personal belief that we've made a lot of progress toward acceptance, that's certainly not what's indicated in those comments. They're nearly 100% extremely anti-gay, anti-trans. I'm aware that there are very identifiable individuals, groups, settings where we'd likely get some negative reaction or worse, but the overwhelming hate in these comments is surprising and worrisome.

Another thing. Just as I must have clicked some box indicating that I wanted to see LGBTQ content, I suppose these people did, too. They wanted to see this content so they could get mad about it and comment on it. Are people that motivated to keep their level of hatred continuously stoked? I've often thought that the people who hate the loudest and the men who are violent toward women are actually gay, and scared to death that somebody will know. They lash out violently as an outlet, and to try to prove what a righteous bad ass they are.

I go out a lot either full fem or some mixture (usually a mixture). I think about it a little more and am a little more aware since I started reading those comments.