Thread: Yahoo comments

Yahoo comments

Just about all of us would agree that we encounter little if any serious negativity in public. Maybe we just don't notice, maybe people are just polite, maybe we choose our venues to increase the likelihood of a positive experience. I've only recently stated using Yahoo. I'm sure I checked some box that indicated I'm interested in LGBTQ issues, so I see new ones every day, and I usually read some of the comments. Despite my own personal belief that we've made a lot of progress toward acceptance, that's certainly not what's indicated in those comments. They're nearly 100% extremely anti-gay, anti-trans. I'm aware that there are very identifiable individuals, groups, settings where we'd likely get some negative reaction or worse, but the overwhelming hate in these comments is surprising and worrisome.

Another thing. Just as I must have clicked some box indicating that I wanted to see LGBTQ content, I suppose these people did, too. They wanted to see this content so they could get mad about it and comment on it. Are people that motivated to keep their level of hatred continuously stoked? I've often thought that the people who hate the loudest and the men who are violent toward women are actually gay, and scared to death that somebody will know. They lash out violently as an outlet, and to try to prove what a righteous bad ass they are.

I go out a lot either full fem or some mixture (usually a mixture). I think about it a little more and am a little more aware since I started reading those comments.

Sadly in this world we live in hate is becoming the new norm. It is not just the LGBT group that is having hate directed to it. Your hated by some for you religious beliefs, your political beliefs, racially motivated hate. The list can go on and on.

Fortunately hate is not something we are born with. Unfortunately hate is something that some people are taught.

If everyone would treat others the way they want to be treated the world would be a beautiful place to live in.

Reality Check
    I don't think "hate is becoming the new norm", I think society has always frowned on people who don't fit the norm like gay and lesbians, crossdressers, transexuals, etc. The difference is that with social media, people can hide behind their keyboards and post comments that they wouldn't normally say in public. Also, there is a lot more awareness because some of these people are publicizing their behavior.

It's a shame, for sure, but times change and we have to live with the changes.
    Krisi

Comment sections on web sites draw the most extreme of people on both sides of the political spectrum. I usually discount them.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

“Conversion therapy” tortures kids into saying they’re straight and you’re surprised about vitriol on the internet?

Look, the internet doesn’t amplify the most common voices, it amplifies the most extreme. What you see there is NOT reflective of real life.

Banned Read only
    Don't take "comments" on stories seriously. The anonymity posting provides lets people be rude a-holes just to be rude. In fact just don't bother reading them unless you WANT to get upset.

Back in the day, before social media we used to meet in person, in bars and places like that. There someone might say something daft, hurtful even, at which point they'd suffer a tirade from the group as to how wrong-headed they were being. And they'd think, yeah, I am daft aren't I. Nowadays, with social media, that social element has gone, so people, in the privacy of their own screen, say what they think and instead of being cast down, someone pops up and agrees with them, and so a viscious circle ensues. The easiest way to deal with it all is simply rise above it and ignore it.

Platinum Member
    I rarely read the comments below any article. I noticed several years ago many news outlets stopped the comment page. Many times I am asked to offer a review of a product which is published after it is reviewed. It's easy for a person to hide behind a computer screen. This site and others my wife and I peruse do have moderators to delete crap.

These people will also make hurtful comments towards others in person. I have a tendency to let people ramble on and on when he or she directs hostility towards others. If you do not immediately say something to the contrary, they believe you believe as they do. I sort of let them hang themselves, and, then hammer them. I do not want them in my circle of friends.

Rhonda,

You also have to be aware of how many of these social websites work. They use algorithms to note what you've previously looked at and then give you more of the same. If you find places, sites that are offering positive responses to LGBTQ issues the chances are you'll then get more positive articles and comments.

The downside is as you've alluded to that small minorities can gravitate together and then create a self indulgent feeding fest of bile and venom. Add to that as others have said that it's easy to be brave behind an anonymous user name and in the company of like minded idiots.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    We r not allowed to discuss politics or religion here or I would rant on this subject!

Let me just say my 10 year old Face Book Page, along with 5,000 Friends, was deleted because some FB "Friend" or "Friends" complained about my topless photos to Face Book! When all they had to do was not look or just unFriend me! And, they'd never see another rubber nipple pic from me again.

But, that wasn't enuff for the immature, hate filled, person(s). They felt the need to punish me for them looking at my private photos!
    Last edited by docrobbysherry; 03-17-2020 at 11:03 PM.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Trolls are everywhere on the internet. Thankfully many sites are good at keeping them away (through avoiding comments, or having a team of active moderators, a user reporting mechanism, etc). Sounds like you should go elsewhere for LGBT content that doesn't fall so easily prey to these internet trolls.

Quote Originally Posted by Micki_Finn View Post
    “Conversion therapy” tortures kids into saying they’re straight and you’re surprised about vitriol on the internet?
    I don't see the correlation. Yes, I am surprised about the vitriol, or at least the near-unanimous nature of it.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Keep in mind not all the hate is coming from the straight people out there.
    Trans people can be just as bad.

Banned Read only
    Tracii,
    I don't believe it is all straight people making the comments more like screwed up people motivated by so many odd reasons . It's why I don't visit social media sites , it might be called social but most are very anti-social , over the years one or two have infiltrated the forum thankfully they're not around long .

Being faceless means they can also be gutless , it's very sad really .

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    It's why I don't visit social media sites , it might be called social but most are very anti-social...
    Aha! A new term trending now: "Antisocial Media"!

Unfortunately there will always be some haters out there. But to paraphrase what others have said, it's doubtful that the proportion of haters on Antisocial Media form a representative cross-section of the public at large. Politically sensitive sites (among others) are polarized; trolls cluster there along with supporters. Hopefully there isn't as much hate among the general public as these sites would suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie47 View Post
    I rarely read the comments below any article. I noticed several years ago many news outlets stopped the comment page.
    I think that's a great shame. It's often interesting, and downright educational, to read what members of the public think about the news. I can always ignore the remarks from trolls and other morons. Even those are educational in a way: they demonstrate how many idiots there are out there! Fortunately many news outlets still provide for comments; the Wall Street Journal (an intelligent newspaper without many trolls) and the UK Daily Mail, just for starters. Which is just as well; I just read a comment on the latter's web site that had me in stitches...

Banned Read only
    Marianne,
    There are very few "Haters " in the RW , even my wife didn't hate me ! Perhaps you could substitute " Hate " for "Avoidance " Most may not understand but are prepared to accept , " Give it a go " if you like and see how the cookie crumbles . Some choose to avoid because they don't understand but I've found the come round gradually when they know you're genuine , their actions don't make you back down , my neighbours come into that category .

Platinum Member
    I would never place much stock in what people post in on-line comment sections. Trolls are there for one purpose, and that is their own amusement. They seek reactions. So, as the saying goes, dont feed the trolls.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

No matter how hard we try not everyone is going to welcome us with open arms. There will always be those who think anyone that is different from them are perverts and lots of other derogatory things. Just remember that all the laws that have been passed only say they can not discriminate against us. The laws do not say they have to like us. If someone does not like you that is their problem. Walk away with your head held high.

I would like to believe that, in general, people are more accepting that they have been in the past. The problem with the internet is everyone is fairly anonymous so you get more than you bargain for. Also there is so much information and connections available. Thirty years ago you were in you own little word, so to speak. Today we have the whole world at our finger tips.

Thirty years ago if you made a comment just one or two, or maybe a few people heard it. Today you post on the internet and it is read buy hundreds or thousands of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Micki_Finn View Post

Look, the internet doesn’t amplify the most common voices, it amplifies the most extreme. What you see there is NOT reflective of real life.
    Quite so. I manage the Facebook page for a trans advocacy/education group. It attracts haters on a daily basis. Some demonstrate how pathetic they are by posting comments. The rest you can get by viewing their own pages. As I say, most are pathetic, but a few are scary. Even so, there are nowhere near enough of them to demonstrate a significant portion of society as a whole. I ban the worst of them, but just ignore the majority.
    Calling bigotry an "opinion" is like calling arsenic a "flavor".

Platinum Member
    Not so long I was listening to a podcast...think it was TechNation, in which a person managed to track down and confront a particularly cruel troll. The troll was mortified to be confronted with the person he sought to abuse. He (isn?t it always a he) proved to be a predictably spineless creature, venting his own life frustrations through his vile conduct.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Aspiring Member
    We are a pretty divided country with people making hateful comments on every side of a argument. I stopped reading most comments.

I don't put bumper stickers on my vehicles because there will be some Jack who will disagree and damage my vehicle.