Thread: Resource availability

Resource availability

I understand that with the coronavirus situation that many therapists are currently closed. Even if that weren't the case, however, being a single parent, I dont really have much by way of financial resources to be able to afford seeing a therapist, however, my dysphoria is really starting to get to the point of almost a physical ache. I have been trying for a couple of years now to see a therapist, but largely due to monetary reasons, I haven't been able to get more than a few appointments in before I start running into trouble, they start pushing a bit of a religious slant, or they dont seem to know what they're doing with regard to trans patients. This is starting to get out of hand. I'm unsure if I want to go with an informed consent type of situation, because I do have my doubts and fears, but I need to get this addressed. My question is, does anyone know of any resources available, particularly in N. Texas that I could use to be able to start seeing a therapist regularly without bankrupting myself. I'm also willing to use video conferencing to other areas if necessary, but I really need to do something before this gets even more out of hand. Thanks.

I'll keep my ears open for you. I'm in the same area, but I don't personally know one.

Perhaps in the current crisis, your government will make available to the general public, the services of therapists free of charge, in the interests of the health and well-being of all your county's citizens.

That is what is happening here in NZ. We are fortunate!

Good luck!

Thank you

You could maybe use a book? "You and your gender identity A guide to discovery" by Dara Hoffman-Fox, will guide you to a better point of view, I think. You can also use her website darahoffmanfox.com to explore the services there.
    Marie

Try Planned Parenthood, if Texas allows them in the state. They may have a therapist that is much less expensive, and can prescribe HRT on an informed consent basis. There are also online therapists that may be less expensive and more informed regarding transgender care. Maybe you have to drive to a bigger city to get the proper care. You could also thing about starting a low dose HRT to see if that calms you down. What about your county health service? They usually have therapists to support low income people. Good luck.

The Resource Center in Dallas is an LGBTQ service facility. The offer a variety of services including counseling.

This is one of their locations where the deal with transgender health:

4012 Cedar Springs, Dallas, TX 75219
    Phone: 214-528-2336
    Fax: 214-528-8436

Silver Member
    Sky, Here's an organization in LUBBOCK. Contact them for info. If you are a veteran, contact the VA. If you have Medical Insurance, Therapy may be included. It is in mine. Good luck!

https://pflag.org/chapter/pflag-lubbock
    Last edited by Jenny22; 03-28-2020 at 02:27 PM.

Sky,

I'm in San Antonio and have used Planned Parenthood for my HRT. I did go to a therapist but they do not require it. They use informed consent and are reasonably priced. You may consider checking their website to find if those in your local area also provide the services. Good luck.

Robin
    I'm just trying to find a decent melody
    A song that I can sing in my own company

U2

Aspiring Member
    I second Mary-Jo. The same book helped me a lot. It has a lot of exercise that help you figure out things amout yourself. They have a great YouTube channel too

Silver Member
    Also try Transgender Therapists in Texas

This is why I joined this forum in 2012 because of the smart, beautiful warm people here.... Miss Skylance starting here is the best resource....Plan Parenthood is a good place I have personally used....
    Escapism isn't necessarily bad, but is definitely unhealthy in the long term. While helpful in the short term, things will degrade over time. At some point, the escapee will have to face the issue. Things simply blowing over isn't really going to happen in many situations.

Aspiring Member
    Anne Vitale offers Skype, Facetime and Zoom. Not sure if she offers sliding scale for low income.

http://avitale.com/