Thread: On GGs and Scots

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

On GGs and Scots

Reading again the Ask a GG: Part 2 thread, I stumbled on this masterpiece from MoGG, written a little more than a year ago. It made me laugh my ass off the first time, and once more today (the "frolicking around the heather" passage is just grand), and my wife adores it too. I thought it deserved to be brought back into light (actually it should be a Sticky with title "How to press GG's buttons".,.).
    Reading it as a CDer requires some sense of self-derision as we are the target.
    Here it is in all its original glory. The "whole thing" at the beginning of the text refers to crossdressing.
    Quote Originally Posted by MoGG View Post
    ... the whole thing can feel a little weird to a GG. It's like being Scottish and finding your American boyfriend likes to wear kilts - unisual, but completely OK, and then he tells you he gets turned on by pretending to be Scottish and doing the accent and everything. It's harmless, but as a real Scottish person, it does feel strange. Especially because he's got no interest in Scots history, or politics, or books by Scottish authors, nope, just the kilt and the accent - and that can feel reductive, like he's reducing being Scottish to some decorative bits that a lot of Scottish people enjoy but isn't a central part of their lives. And then you go on line and find some Scotts-dressers who complain that Scotts people don't wear enough tartan these days, or they have it so easy because they just spend their lives frolicking around the heather - as if they don't have the same job problems as Americans, or claim they do a better accent than Scotts people or say that Scotts people should stop complaining about the British government because at least they get to wear kilts and on and on.
    Does that help?
    Last edited by DianeT; 03-29-2020 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Minor rephrasing