Thread: On GGs and Scots

On GGs and Scots

Reading again the Ask a GG: Part 2 thread, I stumbled on this masterpiece from MoGG, written a little more than a year ago. It made me laugh my ass off the first time, and once more today (the "frolicking around the heather" passage is just grand), and my wife adores it too. I thought it deserved to be brought back into light (actually it should be a Sticky with title "How to press GG's buttons".,.).
    Reading it as a CDer requires some sense of self-derision as we are the target.
    Here it is in all its original glory. The "whole thing" at the beginning of the text refers to crossdressing.
    Quote Originally Posted by MoGG View Post
    ... the whole thing can feel a little weird to a GG. It's like being Scottish and finding your American boyfriend likes to wear kilts - unisual, but completely OK, and then he tells you he gets turned on by pretending to be Scottish and doing the accent and everything. It's harmless, but as a real Scottish person, it does feel strange. Especially because he's got no interest in Scots history, or politics, or books by Scottish authors, nope, just the kilt and the accent - and that can feel reductive, like he's reducing being Scottish to some decorative bits that a lot of Scottish people enjoy but isn't a central part of their lives. And then you go on line and find some Scotts-dressers who complain that Scotts people don't wear enough tartan these days, or they have it so easy because they just spend their lives frolicking around the heather - as if they don't have the same job problems as Americans, or claim they do a better accent than Scotts people or say that Scotts people should stop complaining about the British government because at least they get to wear kilts and on and on.
    Does that help?
    Last edited by DianeT; 03-29-2020 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Minor rephrasing

Platinum Member
    At one of the Home Depot stores in my area there is a gentleman who wears a kilt and has a full beard...red. I suppose he also practices some Scottish rituals and holidays. Nobody gives him a second look. There are other ethnic groups in my area who wear traditional garb. The are Samoans and other Pacific Islanders. There are also Cambodian Buddhist monks. I think, except for some outright racists, people see the direct connection to their culture. The same connection is not made with a MtF cross dresser otherwise a wife would just chalk it up to some extension of playing as a drag queen or extended Halloween costume.
    Last edited by Stephanie47; 03-30-2020 at 05:28 PM. Reason: spelling

I accept myself as is Gillian Gigs's Avatar
    Having read the post by MoGG, I get their point. Some women could get insulted, while others could care less. An interesting thought for us CD'er to ponder!
    I like myself, regardless of the packaging that I may come in! It's what is on the inside of the package that counts!

Senior Member Read only Allison Chaynes's Avatar
    As an officer in a national Scottish heritage organization, I could not help but laugh at the term Scottsdresser. That's hilarious.
    Life is too short to be boring.

For those who would like to see you the original post in context, it is post #166 here: https://www.crossdressers.com/forums...-a-GG-Part-Two

Quote Originally Posted by Allison Chaynes View Post
    As an officer in a national Scottish heritage organization, I could not help but laugh at the term Scottsdresser. That's hilarious.
    I too, find the term funny, especially because I wear the kilts and play the pipes as well.
    Jon

Aspiring Member
    As a Scot (not a Scott) I find this quite funny. I have my own comparison that usually involves the French but you can make it a nationality of your own choice. Imagine I like visiting France .regularly I like to speak like the French, dress like the French, even smell like the French. If someone actually thinks I am French it means my flattering attempt to emulate them was reasonably skilled. Result. But at no point do I imagine I really am French, I don't want to live there permanently or become a French citizen - I am just a tourist. So that is me - a gender tourist. Being a gender tourist is fun, expensive, and takes skill and application, but it is a hobby and not a lifestyle. You could try inventing a name for the international tourism like Transfrancophile but it is really no more than .... tourism. Harmless, interesting self-indulgence.

Going back to the original kilt-based comparison, my interest in women themselves is actually a bit beyond the usual heterosexual one. I regard women as entirely equal and support their rights. I am more interested than most men in why women dress the way they do and displaying this interest in the wrong situation could give rise to problems so I tend to confine it to conversations with women who know I crossdress. I don't seek this knowledge just to help me dress - I am genuinely interested. I am also a member of a women's style group on Facebook. They know I am a crossdresser. Most of the people I interact with when I am out dressed are aware that I am a man.

Silver Member
    I have a Scottish surname, but like many in North America, there are so many other nationalities in my background, the Scots part of me is just one of many minorities. So it came as a bit of a surprise that my son, his Scottish genes diluted a further 50 percent, chose to wear a kilt on his wedding day. He and his groomsmen looked fine on the day and wore their kilts proudly. Some time later, he told me that he considered asking me to dress the same, but didn't think I'd be keen on the idea, so didn't mention it to me. Little does he know.

Quote Originally Posted by suzanne View Post
    Little does he know.
    😀
    I'm not Scot but I had a chance to wear a tartan skirt once when in high school. It was during Mardi Gras, a single day carnival where everybody disguises (and makes pancakes). My future wife and her girl friend suggested to dress me as a 6"3 girl. My wife had a tartan skirt that she passed me along with a pair of blue tights and I spent a day in town like this. I remember being first uneasy about being dressed as a girl, for one because I never did it in front of others, and second because I was in the closet as a CDer and was worried that I would do or say something and they'd find me out. But in the end of the day it was tons of fun, and the only time in my life I went out "dressed".

Thanks for sharing, I loved the view point and it was hilarious. I would send it to my wife but she probably would get hung up on the turned on part. And that's the same reason I wouldn't send it to my mother in law who is obsessed with Outlander and everything Scottish.