Has anyone read any research that suggests there are a higher percentage of men interested in crossdressing now than in previous decades and centuries ?

I realize its way easier to get clothes now but lets face it when we were young when we wanted to dressup we always found a way !

My point is if the percentages are about the same how did guys cross dress in the 1700s, 1800s, and early 1900s, without the help and support of women ? The wives were always at home and with all the crazy layers women wore back then there is no way a guy could get dolled up quickly in corsets and petticoats.

So do we think women made dresses for their men and let them dressup since they were the bosses in the family ?
Or
Do we think the women were too embarassed to expose their husbands that they just went along with it and supported it ?
Or
Do we think the women were just really sweet back then and found humor and fun in seeing their husband in dresses and petticoats.
?
In the frontier or Wild West were there men wearing dresses and bonnets their wives made for them or were they sneaking into the saloons and trying on the show girl dresses ?

I am just really curious how the men that came before us were able to prance about in women's things with so many obstacles ? I doubt there mothers ever warned them that there were men who liked to wear their clothes !

Has anyone ever told their stories ?

Any thoughts or comments would be great !

Thanks as always to the women who have supported us throughout history !