Thread: Saree Challenge for Facebook (and Almost Got Caught)

Saree Challenge for Facebook (and Almost Got Caught)

I have been dressing up secretly or publicly for about 20 years now, and in all that time, I haven't even come close to being caught. I live thousands of kilometres from my parents, but still this week I almost got caught.

There are a lot of people bored at home during this lockdown, and some have started posting "challenges" on Facebook and tagging others to follow through. One of the first ones I came across was the Saree Challenge, where you have to upload a recent photo of only yourself wearing a saree (for those unfamiliar with it, a saree is a women's garment from the Indian subcontinent that consists of an unstitched drape (~6'x3') wrapped around the waist, worn over a fitted bodice and a petticoat).

Anyway, I asked my best friend if she had participated in the challenge yet, and she said no, but she was going to, and whether I wanted her to tag me (my female profile) for the challenge. I admitted to her that this was exactly what I wanted. Last Saturday, I woke up early and did my makeup, battled for the better part of an hour over the draping, and asked my flatmate to take a few photos. Afterwards I had some chores to do and didn't remove my makeup, but I changed out of the saree into a top and jeans. I was taking down the bins when my mum FaceTimed me. I would normally reject the call and switch to audio, but I was texting a friend just then and accidentally accepted it. The network was way too fast and I didn't have time to realise and turn away the phone before the call connected. My mum saw me before I disconnected the call.

I immediately called her back on audio, and the first question she asked was, "who was that?" I assume she had only seen a pixelated shot so she hadn't recognised me. I told her I was downstairs disposing of the rubbish, and the back camera had been activated. She must have seen the one of the other residents who was there. She seemed to believe me. I came upstairs and had a quick shower and called her with video. Hopefully seeing me dressed normally has belied any suspicions. At worst, she thinks I have a girlfriend I haven't told her about. Oh well, I can live with that.

- Manasi

Manasi, That's a close call. Are you sure your mother didn't know you are a crossdresser? My mother did.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Manasi , wow that is scary. I have wondered about that happening and I have tried to pay attention to rejecting FaceTime when dressed, but I can see how you could accidentally accept a call if you are already typing away.

I think I would start putting a piece of tape over the selfie side of the cam while dressed if you get a lot of FaceTime calls just to avoid another incident. Not that I am in a position to advise having recently been caught.

Sandi

Manasi, Moms do not miss much so she may strongly suspect something but chose to let it go.
    Crissy

Banned Read only
    Living dangerously, aren't you? Another reason for me not to join Facebook or any other social media.

Sandi, the piece of tape is a great idea. I think I'll try something like that next time.

Jamie and Crissy, I am 100% sure my mum would have said something to me or to my dad if she suspected even a little bit. I have seen my mum criticising a singer she liked for becoming more effeminate and wearing pink clothes, and I have seen my dad snorting with disgust at a movie that flipped traditional gender roles. My having a secret girlfriend would be more comfortable to her so she would choose to believe that. My parents are very loving, but having spent their whole lives in India and not having a diverse group of friends and colleagues, they are very conservative.