At the beginning of this year before all this madness started I booked a holiday home for a week in the middle of November, a week away on my own, time to be spent as Helen, possibly the highlight of my year.

Under normal circumstances my SO and I would as we?re both retired, footloose and fancy free, spend time away in our touring caravan exploring the many lovely places that the UK has to offer. Well of course Covid-19 has put an end to that for the foreseeable future and it?s quite possible holidaying could be something we struggle to do this year.

Hence I?m faced with a dilemma. It?s possible that the restrictions are lifted in time for us to get away on an extended ?Grand tour?. Four to six weeks living a nomadic lifestyle exploring various parts of let?s say the south of England for arguments sake. Now should this happen then I?ll feel OK about my week away but if for whatever reason we can?t get away then in all consciousness taking time away alone would seem to be utterly, selfishly, the wrong thing to do.

I could move the booking to give us more opportunity to get away but comfortable and well equipped as our caravan is, holidaying in the winter months isn?t ideal as getting out for the day to do the touristy things when it?s cold and wet isn?t my idea of fun.

So there?s a chance that my week away might become a shared holiday with Helen leaving her cases behind and 2020 is a year the world is deprived (or spared depending upon your point of view) of Helen?s company. I can?t deny I would be disappointed but I can book something for early 2021 by which time hopefully the world will be back on an even keel.

So for now it?s a bit of a waiting game I guess and to keep reminding myself that there?re many who won?t make it through this crisis so my problems in the wider scheme of thing aren?t so great.

Better to stay and hide away and live to dress another day.