Thread: I've got plenty of money to update my wardrobe, but shipping slow thanks to COVID19

I've got plenty of money to update my wardrobe, but shipping slow thanks to COVID19

I truly consider myself very blessed and very lucky. While millions have been laid off or lost their jobs because of the Coronavirus, I am in a field of work that is deemed essential.... Pizza Delivery Driver because hey, food is important and people still want pizza now more than ever. As such, we have not lost any business, in fact quite the opposite. I'm making a little more than usual. As if this was not enough, I also got a $1200 stimulus direct deposit into my account.
    I had recently spent a small portion of my tax refund on some things. Seeing as how I am making more money and got $1200 from the government, I've spent more on clothes. For those of you worrying, fear not. I've got pretty good self control and have already put about $1000 of my $1200 into savings. Plus I always make a little more than I need at my job, so every week I am able to put on average about $50 into my savings. Still, being able to spend money on clothes and having way more than plenty left over to tuck away into savings is a pretty good feeling. I do feel somewhat guilty about this because others right now are struggling to stay afloat with their finances.
    Now about the post office.... Well, I buy most of my stuff online in order to ensure I get the right size, since I often need to get plus size. The only place I really shop in-store is Victoria's Secret, which obviously I cannot do right now until stores open up again. A lot of things I have bought come from overseas, which slows things down enough. But the Coronavirus has made it to where I am getting my things very late. A lot of stuff I should have already gotten long ago.
    A lot of items are handmade, so without the right material to make them, it gets put on hold. A lot of stuff has been delayed countless times by customs. Shipping labels have been wrong or misprinted. And today I received word that an item I want is suddenly no longer available until winter, even though I ordered it in early March. As if that were not enough, yesterday I got a FAILED DELIVERY ATTEMPT from the day before. I had been home all day and no one came. Then the next day, I got another FAILED DELIVERY ATTEMPT. I found out the USPS was delivering it, and they do not deliver in our area until about 1 or 2pm. Sure enough, my item came yesterday, but I was prepared to drive the 6 miles to the post office to pick it up myself if I had to.
    Before anyone jumps on me, I just wish to point out that I am aware of what is going on in the world and have patiently and diligently waiting for my items, checking up with the companies that sent them out.
    Last edited by RainbowDash; 04-24-2020 at 01:56 PM.

Hi RainbowDash,

Thanks for the info on deliveries. I also need my retail therapy.

My working group of six has just decided to put me in charge of running the Zoom meeting
    and parceling out work. At least they seem to be listening to my lead after a really productive meeting.

My VS order was placed around 4/9 and received 4/21.
    I just ordered a rose skit, ribbed heather T shirt, and red cardigan in hopes the weather will warm up soon.
    Everything was on sale and they let me use $20 off on $50, $15 Angel Reward, and free shipping.
    I maxed out on the three coupon codes.

Marion
    Last edited by Maid_Marion; 04-24-2020 at 02:24 PM.

I'm glad you didn't waste all of the $1,200 tax free grant, RD.

Here in Canada, we just got a general notice that Canada Post is experiencing Christmas season like volume of deliveries going through it's system. Therefore mail delivery is slower than usual.

I think all couriers companies here have gone with a contactless delivery and no longer requiring a signature for package delivery, so you don't need to be at home for them to drop them off at your door.

Hope things improve for you RainbowDash, and you will be able to model some of your purchases in the Picture & Video Forum.
    If your not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Rainbow, no offense, but I don't think many things from VS r "hand made". By that, I assume u meant "custom made"? Because pretty much ALL clothing is hand made!

If you're ordering from China, things r cheap but shipping can be expensive. And, sizes r not only undependable, returns r an issue!

When they open again, I get most of my things at thrifts! They stock a lot of plus sizes, u can try them on there, or do what I do. Measure the waist and chest of the items. Then, I know they'll fit and they r way cheaper and I get things quicker than ordering from China!
    Last edited by docrobbysherry; 04-27-2020 at 10:49 AM.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Banned Read only
    Although I have not order clothing recently from Amazon I did notice non-essential items are being delayed in shipping. In one case I was told my order will be shipped mid May. That made the wait of over one month. For that order it was alright since it was bought as a gift for a granddaughter who will not be home from college until after that date. I have noticed some parcels going through postal hubs with a lot of coronavirus cases lingers somewhat. Detroit was one hub where packages seemed to linger. I also noticed with the tracking number some parcels are not taking the most direct route. Other parcel going from a major hub to my hub have shown up almost overnight. Another thing to consider is a lot of mail is flown on commercial aviation on routinely scheduled flights. In Seattle air traffic is down 95%. If the planes aren't flying there are going to be delays.

As to ordering from China. I have not ordered anything from the Far East; China or otherwise. A lot of the domestically sold garments are made in Asian markets, but, the clothes are made to US retailers specifications. Check the labels of any garment. Fabric made in country X. Assembled in country Y. Right now you also have to consider the coronavirus is also wrecking havoc with labor markets in the Asian labor markets. I've noticed in some things I buy there has been a diminishing inventory. Once it is gone there may be a long wait for additional stock. You see what is happening with domestic meat producers now. Plants closed. A lot of interruptions in the supply chain.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    That $1200 was your money anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracii G View Post
    That $1200 was your money anyway.
    My understanding is that the money was supposed to go to people who were out of work and needed it to buy essentials, like food. If I had been RD, earning more money than usual, I would have declined the money or returned it, so that it could have been passed on to a more needy person who is really struggling to survive. Or donated the money to a charity supplying food parcels to the needy. Or given it to a family in my neighbourhood who I knew needed help. So many ways in which to help others.

But then again, I am a NZer, so my life view is not the same as RD's.

Last edited by GaleWarning; 04-25-2020 at 03:24 PM.

Hi Gale,
    Tracii G is correct. The money was given out to those who made under a certain amount of money based on 2019 tax returns (there were a few other rules) but no rules as to how it is spent. So Rainbow had every right to spend it as she saw fit. If she boosted the economy by buying clothes, that was her option.

To those interested, even though I should not have to explain since its technically my money, I have made a couple of donations to places that help animals, since I care abut them very much.
    Again I probably did not need the money, although I feel its sort of a way of things in your life straightening themselves out. Here's the story.... Last year while delivering pizza, I got into a fender bender which was my fault. My insurance company denied both my claim and the other persons claim, on the grounds that I was delivering pizza and using my vehicle for commercial use. Please people I do not wish to get into a long technicality about this story, so no posts about that please. Anyway, I had to spend close to $900 to get my car fixed and pay for a rental car. I figure this $1200 is payback for that, money that I could have used for other things, even if it is buying another dress.
    As for the things I bought, I had decided to update my Lolita wardrobe. Pretty much almost all of the stuff is made in China (don't worry, I did some checking and was assured I could not get sick from a package form China) so I had to wait for it to be sent overseas. Since the Coronavirus originated in China, I more or less figured things would be delayed, and not just stuff from China either.

Thank you for the explanations. I am sure both the animals and the store owners benefitted from your actions RD.
    Insurance companies get my goat: quick to take your premiums, but very reluctant to pay out. Commiserations.
    Peace.
    Gale

Online stores are experiencing much longer shipping times. My go to store, ASOS , usually ships from the UK to Australia in 5 or 6 days. My April 17 “ISO” retail therapy shopping spree hasn’t even been processed yet and expected delivery is May 14. But in these strange times I’m not complaining.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    The whole thing is to inject some money into the economy so buy whatever you need but please buy local to help the small businesses in your area I am sure they would appreciate it.
    I helped a local small business I have traded with for years.He appreciated it very much.
    I got a call from a friend that gives to a local shelter and he asked if I had any old acoustic guitars I could donate.
    I donated two I had sitting around here I had never gotten around to fixing.
    A little tweak here and there ,new strings and off they went to a new home.

So, shipping is slow.
    With all this virus stuff....where are you going?? LOL

Patience, patience...
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Silver Member
    I work with the USPS on a regular basis. Yes they are experiencing delays all over the country. I wouldn't even try to send things overseas right now, packages will be sitting in customs forever.

Personally, I am pinching pennies like never before. not wasting a cent. Especially since my savings is now worth less than it was before all of this nonsense started, has to be made up somehow.