Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Going old in fashion

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alwayshave View Post
    Julie, I dress my age. When I was younger I even dressed a little older. My wife once asked why I always dress like the mother of the bride.
    Interesting, I thought I was the only one who did that when they were younger. In my 20s I was often told I dressed "too old". I liked the "mother of the bride" look, I didn't care for what the young girls were wearing at the time. I always preferred wearing skirt suits, fancy blouses, classic style heels and vintage style clothing and accessories. Now that I am middle aged, it works well for me. People tell me I dress nicely, not that I am physically attractive, but that I dress nicely and have class.

I think that part of this is that we all love to feel our appearance is attractive and to some extent that means we don't look our age.
    With all this "stay home" stuff the wife and I have been watching a lot of youtube of late and with that a lot of makeup videos. The other day she pointed one out to me where the model was 86. She looked 86 before the makeup and hair were done. After she was gorgeous! You would never have guessed she was that old. Before she sat there and everything about her said OLD. After she beamed, she glowed. Her smile was wider and brighter and it totally changed her.
    I related as sometimes I feel like that. It could be a drab dreary day and things are ok, but then I'll do my face and fix my hair and I could still be wearing my bathrobe but I will FEEL so much better and more alive.
    I don't ever want to look my age until they put me in that pine box. Till that day I want to look younger and feel younger and more alive.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Banned Read only
    Tracii,
    I'm a little confused by your statement , if you go out in the RW why does blending become boring , I'm wondering why you bother to do it in the first place especially when you go onto say it's a pretence wearing the clothes to be a woman . I assume your reply is describing your personal perspective and does not apply to other members .

I am a plus size lady with no purposeful attempt to change that! I have accepted it! I buy clothes that are comfortable and fit MY sense of fashion! It must be pretty good! When I wore my new gold dress with leopard accessories and black booties to work to pick up my paycheck, all the staff FAB wanted to steal my dress and boots! I have made a few mistakes but generally I am right! Age appropriate-do not care but am any way! I am 68 and probably dress 40ish! Yes I wear my jeans and tee shirts most of the time but dresses and skirts for doctor and counselor visits pre-pandemic! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Banned Read only
    Lana,
    I had to smile at your comment , " I have made mistakes !" but haven't we all , as long as we have a sense of humour and can laugh at oursleves .

Silver Member
    Micki Finn, thank you for your comments. That's how I feel. At 85, I'll wear what I like if it looks good on me. I will never dress my age!

Even when I was as young as 10 I always felt women look best in there 40s and 50s.

Now in my 60s it takes a lot of effort to look good enough to enjoy dressing.
    Two weeks ago I dressed up with a dress, wig, and minimal makeup and I ended up deleting all the photos. Very Bad!

Maybe I can learn to due the age appropriate makeup and enjoy the look.

I haven't tried, and at this point I'm thinking that if I can't look good enough to enjoy dressing I'll be able to stop Cross-Dressing and PURGE!
    Last edited by Judy-Somthing; 05-04-2020 at 08:08 AM. Reason: TYPO
    "This is ME" I am not CRAZY, I'm just a GUY who likes dresses!
    Since allot of men dress up in woman's clothing that makes it a manly thing to do!
    Much more fun than fishing.
    I do construction like house building and I love CD-ing, what's the difference?

No offence intended but this is certainly the old fogies page I love it

Thank you all so much for your comments

Julie

In boy mode, i can pull off looking 15 years younger than my driver's license. So, why shouldn't I do it in girl mode.

While I don't have much of a waist, my weight is well in proportion to my height.

I was en femme in a Dressbarn before they closed, and I got a really wonderful comment from a GG. She said, "I rally love your skirt, without any sarcasm in her voice.. No big deal you're thinking. I was wearing a leather-look mini skirt more than half way up my thigh. On a 67 y.o.? As you might guess, I kind of floated out of the store.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Amanda dresses older she is real life 39 but she enjoys dressing if she was 89. She is an old sole and enjoys the grandma look. Always has.
    Amanda

Totally agree, at 54 I wouldn't want to be mistaken for a hot young trendy babe
    Even though most of my clothes are "hand me up" from my daughters

20190505_063013.jpg 20190903_152554.jpg
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

I never thought about going out dressed until I started taking this forum seriously. I'm a private, low key blend in type person so I would be age appropriate if I were to go out in public. In guy mode I wear jeans and a pocket t-shirt (the pocket to carry reading glasses) so I don't see myself in dresses and heels if I went out. The desire to have the talk with my wife so I can have more freedom to dress and make purchases online is becoming overwhelming. When that happens assuming it goes well my purchases would be geared more towards sitting at home in comfort feeling good about myself than the urge to go in public. My feminine desires would not suddenly make me a flamboyant public person and I wouldn't take up clubbing and shopping. My shopping is limited to groceries, building supplies and music gear and I go right to what I want and get out of the stores as quickly as possible. My dysphoria might someday cause a transformation but if it does my personality probably won't change.

Reality Check
    My goal is to look like the sister I never had and the daughter my mother never had so I do dress my age. I do want to say though that women my age sometimes wear stylish and attractive clothes and others dress as "Granny" from the Beverly Hillbillies. I'm the former.
    Krisi

Davina Katherine Davina Katherine's Avatar
    I don't know if I dress my age (65) or not. Mostly I take cues from my wife who is also 65 and likes skirts and dresses.
    But for a GNO, I tend to dress inappropriately!!

Julie, I dress my age. When I was younger I even dressed a little older. My wife once asked why I always dress like the mother of the bride.
    That is a cute look Jamie! I am dressing more my age these days. I even went with a wig to match my former prematurely gray hair. My hair started changing to white/gray around 25. My mom said I would be totally white by 50 and she wasn't too far off. Durn her. Just like the more mature look on me. Seems more genuine.

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl T View Post
    I may be older but that doesn't mean I have to look it.
    My idol in that respect is Raquel Welch. Do you know she's going to be 80 !! I mean look at her. She's beautiful and you would never guess she's that old.
    I don't want to look my age and my wife tells me I look much younger. I don't dress like a 20 something but I'm not going to look like a grandmother either.
    You look stunning by the way Cheryl. She is one of my favorite femmes to emulate. Wish I could pull it off. Dolly Parton is so hot too.

I'm 83 and don't go far away from home dressed en femme. Some years ago my wife realised that anyone coming to the house thought nothing of my skirts and tops. I wear skirts of all styles, short, mid and long depending on the season and circumstances but my memory of what my Mother wore in the 1940s and 50s when I was growing up.

I'm 72 but I don't feel that old so I dress the way I feel somewhat younger then I am. I don't go out dressed that some one could tell so it doesn't matter dose it.
    Angie

I am 69 so I prefer dressing younger than my age.

My wife once asked why I always dress like the mother of the bride.
    What was your answer to her?

I think my preferred styles of clothing fits the range from mid-late 20s to, I dunno, 60s and beyond. If I were an exclusively at home dresser, this would be a non-issue, but as I like to go out, I hope my look will make people take me seriously. One does not get that looking like a hussy.
    When haters hate, I celebrate!

I tend to dress younger then my age. some times much younger. Hay why not who wants to be a old lady.
    Angie