Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going old in fashion

Going old in fashion

Do not think I am being ageist or insulting that is not the aim of my thoughts by any means and I am 65 so I do know a bit about going old, so if you are going old / older do you dress for your age as in sometimes older people may dress a little dowdy when there are still some wonderful styles out there or do you still dress as your younger self because there are some beautiful fashions there for the younger ladies.

I myself still dress a little younger but then seeing me dressed is like the proverbial bull in the China Shop and would never pass in a million years

Thanks in advance

Julie

I don't go out so I dress as I like but in general I think my style is age appropriate late 40s/early 50s.
    When I bought some shiny front leggings last year my SO was not convinced until she noticed that all ladies around my age (and much older) were wearing them; she still doesn't like them but hadn't noticed how popular they were.

If you don't go out you can suit yourself what you wear as you don't need to blend in.
    Lots of Love Lilly xx

Not me in the avatar but the lovely Jenny Powell who I loved so much

Julie,

I'm the same age as you and I don't view it as dressing older more as dressing with style, having a sense of class.

If you've ever watched the BBC thriller Killing Eve, Eve's boss Carolyn, a mature woman, always dresses with such style. Now while her costumes are probably designer wear and out of my price range it is possible to find things on the more budget end of the High St that enable you to look good, appearing you have a better bank balance than you actually have while looking classy.

There are certain fashions that stay current. Stilettos have been around for over half a century and show no sign of disappearing any time soon.

I wear things to make me look good, not because they're this year's on trend.

Julie, I dress my age. When I was younger I even dressed a little older. My wife once asked why I always dress like the mother of the bride.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Banned Read only
    Julie,
    I'm 69 , if you take a cross section of women my age some will dress older and some will dress younger so really there are no rules . There are so many variables to consider , do you want to blend in or integrate or do you want to make a statement . I accept I dress younger than my years because I'm continually told I don't look my age , I take care of my figure , that's an important point as some women often give up trying because they hate their figure .

I can relate a funny story with dressing and wearing makeup . I was chatting with a dog walker , she's widowed with two grown up sons and we got onto the subject of makeup . I would call her a " handsome woman ", she doesn't wear makeup and she admitted that if she started now her sons would think she was looking for a new man !

It really comes back to how we see clothes and makeup as TGs to how a woman sees it , I'm gradually seeing it that way but it is taking time .

I dress young because the fit of clothes in the Junior's department perfectly matches my figure.
    I think there is some sort of validation in wearing perfectly fitting clothes after years of not being able to find guy clothes that fit.
    I could buy very nice professional clothes but that would be over the top for what I've been doing at work.
    Though they do want me to take on more management responsibility so maybe I could do that going forward.
    Everyone already knows I wear heels and florals to work when I feel like it.

Marion

I have always loved wearing leggings and while they previously were marketed to young people I now see many women my age, 65, wearing them. So do I dress younger than the average 65 year old? Probably, but its all relative. For me style and comfort are most important.

Platinum Member
    I try to dress situation appropriate. Being past 65 myself, I look at styles that work for women in a broad, mature age group.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Julie -

My response is much like Helen's. I would describe I as dressing more appropriately for the situation as opposed to dressing older. Years ago, my dressing often involved staying at home. Possibly an evening drive or walk. The shorter skirts were fun, and I did have a better figure for it back then. Now going out and about, running errands, shopping, I try to blend in more. I quickly found that wearing a mini and high heels while grocery shopping draws attention. And navigating those wet tile floors in heels is also a problem!

I just love the older style of clothing, guess it is because I love the old 40s & 5s0 movies too. So, because of that, I tend to dress in older fashions. I like the Mother of the bride stuff... I think it is because the top layer usually hides my arms (I have manly arms) and a 40s style ladies suit with a pleated skirt and jacket with a wide brim hat tipped to the side... to die for! So if your style is older styles, then in my opinion, "style" never goes out of style.

With a lot more boomer women reaching their seventies and eighties while still active, wearing granny clothes just makes one look old fashioned or out of touch. Contemporary clothes are just contemporary clothes.

Unfortunately for us cross dressers, that means a lot of pants.

I look for contemporary clothes on the feminine side, but it can be a real challenge to get it right.
    I am a vessel of the goddess. Let me express my calling to a feminine life through nurturing love and relatedness.

Silver Member Majella St Gerard's Avatar
    I wear what looks good on me, age has nothing to do with it. My purpose is to dress as an attractive sexy middle aged woman not a granny. Some people can pull it off, some can't. We have to know our limitations and be truthful with ourselves. Everyone has their own reasons for dressing. I dress to look and feel sexy and I know when I achieve it, believe me I am my own worst critic. I do not dress to look like someones grandmother, I go for the cool sexy aunt. But to each their own. Dress the way you feel comfortable. If it works for you, great. You can grow old and still be stylish and fashionable.
    Age is just a number. I'm 57 but when I'm dressed up to go out for the night, most people assume that I'm in my early 40's. I take care of myself and try very hard to stay in shape and WORK on my presentation. That's just the way I feel about this subject. But I am merely a hobbyist crossdresser.

I like to dress to fit in with the age group that I belong to, but that being said a lot of women will push those boundries and I seem to belong more to that group. The older I get the more I feel that I should dress to please myself and not those around me, and I have given up with trying to create what I consider to be a more perfect female body with padding etc. as I just want to be comfortable more than anything. Diet and exercise are high on my priority list these days and those two things go a long way towards creating a presentation that I feel is acceptable when I look in the mirror.
    Transtronaut

You must first find yourself before you can discover your future-

I may be older but that doesn't mean I have to look it.
    My idol in that respect is Raquel Welch. Do you know she's going to be 80 !! I mean look at her. She's beautiful and you would never guess she's that old.
    I don't want to look my age and my wife tells me I look much younger. I don't dress like a 20 something but I'm not going to look like a grandmother either.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Platinum Member
    Dowdy: (1) not stylish, drab (2) not neat or tidy; shabby old fashion.

I had to look up the definition as I have not heard the term for a very long time, and, never on this site. I am 72 years old. I'd say the last time I saw any woman who fit that description was my grandmother who died in 1979. Old European woman who wore probably what she was accustom to seeing on aged women in the "old country."

It really comes down to the endless discussions on aged appropriate attire. In a woman's life I think there is a time when the mini skirt and tight dresses do become a thing of the past. I am not referring to some who are living in a fantasy life of years gone by. Somewhere along the timeline of life most women have achieved their goals and are comfortable with themselves. They get what they want on their terms. Maybe that's where age appropriate comes in play. It's a mind set and not just a visual to display herself.

One of the things that seems to perpetuate some societal stereotypes is the models used to depict clothing. I just perused JCPenny's site for dresses. Just about every model seems to be young; maybe in her thirties at most. What's a sixty or seventy year old woman to wear? Anyway, so much for the rambling. For me it is knee length day dresses, =/- two to three inches at the knee. Or a mid calf dress. I prefer prints, especially floral prints. I really don't know what a woman in her seventies is suppose to wear when it comes to dresses?

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I'm 77. And, Sherry is 23. But, she looks ageless!

So, I dress in whatever I like. Preferably pretty, sexy, and/or feminine!

DSCF3259 (3) (640x609).jpg
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I have a neighbor who is 86. She puts on makeup everyday dresses nice cloths. I tell her she looks nice. And she tells me she not going to let her self get old looking like those younger gals at the home.
    I myself am 72 the avatar is me last year.
    GLENDA
    I FEEL LIKE A WOMAN

Platinum Member
    Hi Baldy , I am 77 and I an knock off 10 to 15 years with the proper outfits, wigs & make-up. >Orchid ..oO..
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Silver Member
    I dress every day and only wear women's clothes. Have a few male items for doctors, and other functions. I now have a casual life as most of the people in our neighborhood. When I talked to a few neighbor women today we all had on jeans and tee tops just different colors. Ironically we all had about the same busts.
    Last edited by lingerieLiz; 04-30-2020 at 09:27 PM.

I dress like other women my age. I believe that it helps me to blend better.
    However, women in general always look younger than men that are the same age. Estrogen, makeup, moisturizing and hair coloring all create a younger appearance.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I'm 67 but dress like a normal 45 to 50 year old.

if you’re comfortable in a “blue collar” look, then that’s great, but I think a lot of the girls here hold themselves back unnecessarily. The problem is the thinking of “I can’t pull that off” or “women my age don’t wear that”. Well guess what? Jlo is 50. Madonna is 60. Cher is 70. Liz Taylor was almost 80 when she died. You can be as fabulous as you want at any age. It’s just about finding looks that work for you.

Jamie

I think most of use could make a similar comment in our earlier days of dressing

Thanks for commenting

Julie

Out and about crossdressing to blend can get boring but I do it anyway. When I am pretending to be a woman I will wear clothing that is both classy and feminine, and if that makes me look younger, I will not be upset.

I am -- shutter -- 72 and I dress how I feel like it. Nothing too far out. Usually skirts and dresses just above the knees. Nice heels 2- or 3-inches. Tops that aren't too tight (yes, I know why that is and I say I will start soon to remedy that). In other words, I dress in what I feel looks good on me which makes me feel good. If I look younger than I am, hey, that's all right, too.
    Sherrie Lynn Pall

Sometimes I make sense and that frightens me.

Please don't let me be the last post on this thread