Thread: I got ma'amed today in drab

I got ma'amed today in drab

I haven't been out dressed since my daughter's college dorms were closed and she moved home for remote classes. I also have been staying home in general because of the stay at home orders.
    Today, I had an Amazon purchase that had to be returned via UPS. It didn't fit in a collection box so I had to take it to the UPS store. I put on a mask to go into the store. After dropping off the package and talking with the person behind the counter, he said "Thank you Ma'am" as I left.
    I thought about it as I was walking out. My mask covered from my chin to the bottom half of my nose. I pluck and shape my eyebrows. No makeup on, but I do moisturize my face regularly. My hair is a little long (way overdue for haircut while the hair cutting places are all closed down) and I've been brushing my bangs down over my forehead as my hair has been growing and my bald spot is not visible form the front. I had a male flannel shirt on, but it is a fabric and pattern that is also used for women's flannel shirts (one of the reasons that I picked it). I had the top 3 shirt buttons undone, as a woman is more likely to button a shirt, and a scoop neck women's t-shirt visible underneath it. No bra or boobs (except my natural A-cup man-boobs). My voice pitch is a little higher than normal due to light allergies.
    I think that he thought I was a woman. I think of all the dressing and makeup that I go through to get a ma'am, and how easy this was.
    I smiled all the way home.
    Last edited by GracieRose; 05-01-2020 at 11:00 AM.

way to go girl

I was going to type that I was sorry to read about you being misgendered. Then I read your last sentence.

I have probably reached about 50% likely to be addressed as "ma'am" at fast food windows and in checkout lines, even when I'm not trying at all. It even happened when I showed up to vote in our primary election back in March. I think it's mostly due to my long blonde hair (although not worn in a feminine style) and to a lesser extent my long nails. If I put on my girl glasses I can raise the probability to about 75% even with no other changes.

- Diane

I have found that I'm being ma'amed with a mask .

But my mask is one I made from some sports fabric I have bought to make a bikini. Yes I made it. So I have a bikini with a matching mask.

Happened to me at a banquet as I was being served from behind, just my shoulder length hair visible. The server was embarrassed but I just smiled. That was a couple of years ago, now my hair is to the middle of my back. Add in leggings, a gender neutral shirt, hat, shades, and a mask, and it would be hard to figure out who I am.