Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is your decade style? Me? 1950s

What is your decade style? Me? 1950s

I was curious, for some of us who missed puberty as a girl, we dress as we would have liked as a teenager. It made me think that many of us have very distinct fashion personalities, and right now I am absolutely obsessed with the 1950's housewife style. I have been searching the companies that make 1950's dresses and have ordered a few and it made me curious, what are the others girls on here style like? Is it by decade, time in your life or particular style?

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I wear whatever is in style at the moment.
    I'm TG 24/7
    I suppose if you are a CD that has a fetish for a certain fashion time frame its ok.

I have no sense of fashion and didnt follow any trends growing up. Today I ask myself:

1) Do I like it?

2) Do I want it?

3) Do I REALLY need it?

Not asking the third question filled my closet with quinceanera, prom and ball gowns.

Not by decade... I like to be fairly fashion forward with a bit of a rebellious, punky edge.

She COUTURE, b$&@h!

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Irving View Post
    1) Do I like it?

2) Do I want it?

3) Do I REALLY need it?
    Yes and experience has taught me to add:
    4) Does it actually suit me?

I don't try to emulate any particular look, just go for what i like.
    "The only way is onward. There is no turning back."

Resident Polymath MarinaTwelve200's Avatar
    Early 1960s and early 1980s

Reality Check
    Contemporary. 2020.

I try to imitate the sister I never had so I dress like a woman my age would dress in the present time.
    Krisi

I wear contemporary dresses that make me look good (well I think make me look good) - I do like historic costuming and have a couple Victorian and Celtic dresses (still not finding many places to wear them)

Davina Katherine Davina Katherine's Avatar
    I do most of my shopping at thrift stores, so of course not cutting edge fashion.

But the other night as my wife and I are watching Grease, Sandy (before the transformation) appears in a cute pink outfit, and OMG it's just like 70% of my collection!

I feel I love the styles of the 50s and 60s due to all the dresses and clothes I first cross-dressed with were from that era.
    There was a treasure trove of women's clothes in the attic of the house I grew up in.

I guess you could say I spent way to much time in the attic for some reason!
    "This is ME" I am not CRAZY, I'm just a GUY who likes dresses!
    Since allot of men dress up in woman's clothing that makes it a manly thing to do!
    Much more fun than fishing.
    I do construction like house building and I love CD-ing, what's the difference?

Platinum Member
    I've found certain styles stand the test of time. The only thing that really changes for me is the length of the dress at the knees. As a senior I would not wear a mini dress. I have never purged or cleaned out my wardrobe. I still have some really nice dresses I bought in the 1980's. I still see current dresses that are the same in style and fabric. I get a good sense of current styles and fashion by just watching young women/middle age women on television. I see a lot of floral dresses which have been one of my favorites for many years.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Sherry is ageless and timeless!
    I copy every fem look I see!

Someone mention 1950's?
    1950's ladies 6-2011 039-1.jpg
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Banned Read only
    I try to stay current, as nothing screams "man in a dress" louder than wearing something woefully out of style.
    Last edited by Robertacd; 05-04-2020 at 12:30 PM.

I wear what I like in the various catalogs or when out shopping(I miss it so much!)! I guess that would be current styles! According to the compliments I get from FAB women, I guess I do alright! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

I love classic styles from the 40/50s. It’s a period that today makes many women weak at the knees when looking at the clothes, it has nothing to do with “fetish” (why do people have to try and run others down?) and has everything to do with how elegant the lines and tailoring were. I call my look modern retro as it doesn’t look out of place today and it certainly attracts a lot of compliments.

I have tried to stay up-to-date fashion-wise by shopping at reasonably priced women's clothing stores. However, that has changed rapidly in the last year or so as some of my favorites have closed their local retail outlets and then consequently closed all their retail outlets and gone online only. Too bad for them! Anyhow, I do drool over some of the styles from the 40's and 50's as seen on television, the movies, or magazines. I think I would look better in some of them.
    Sherrie Lynn Pall

Sometimes I make sense and that frightens me.

Please don't let me be the last post on this thread

Aspiring Member
    I have had a colour and style consultation and it categorised me as a Classic. I love classic clothes anyway and they change only slightly over time. I have 50s dresses because they are fun but I have only worn them in public for things like going out for dinner in a country house hotel (and I realised I was going to stand out). I started my wardrobe in the 1980s when the styles were awful. Even the classic clothes from that era are unwearable now due to the shoulder pads - almost everything from that era is long gone.

Silver Member
    I love the 40s and 50s styles, and I remember them well. I have two dresses, 50s style rockabilly polkadot types I occasionally wear around the house for fun and mirror looks, with 2 underlying petticoats that make the dresses' skirts billow out, and I love that.

Anything 90s or after and would say I am 90s skater wannabe.

‘50s is what I was imprinted with growing up, but I am also attracted to ‘40s styles too. But I’m no purist. I’ll buy pretty much anything that I find attractive.

Silver Member
    1940s, 1950s and 1980s, especially the 1980s. I love the classy, ladylike fashions of the 1980s, which is what the fashionable adult women wore when I was growing up. (I even love the big shoulder pads!)

I will try on anything. It's fun to play imagine if.

My rule of thumb is how much will I kick myself if I don't buy it??? Then I try to remind myself how many things I've bought I've haven't yet worn out. I tell the SAs I have more clothes than places to wear them. But if it says "buy me" and the price is reasonable I bite the bullet and buy it. But I generally restrict myself to other things I would wear out (thus no wedding dresses, bridesmaids dresses, etc).

Albuquerque, NM (SE of there in mountain foothills)
    With stay-at-home, I have been watching several old television westerns on satellite TV. Those were series that had aired in the 1950s and 1960s. I am enamored by the ladies fashions depicted from the 1870s to 1890s in those programs. The prettiest women on The Wild Wild West program, IMO.

But, such skinny waists. Their corsets must have been pure torture!

I'm current! Got a lot of help last year from my Macy's personal style consultant. Still wear nylons, though, both as my nod to the 50's and because it's the CDers secret handshake. Hugs, Michelle

" for some of us who missed puberty as a girl, we dress as we would have liked as a teenager." That is hilarious. My ex-wife used to say I dress like an off-duty cheerleader from 1986. There's a lot of truth to that.