Thread: Anyone into Steampunk?

Anyone into Steampunk?

As our lock down relaxes a tiny bit, I've taken a fancy to steampunk and purchased online.
    While the stuff looked nice, when it arrived today, I found the sizes were many inches bigger than specified (or I got skinny in 24 hours).

I've never seen a cross dresser in steampunk, just wondering if anyone has photos of themsleves in such outfits?
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

Been looking at these for a while especially the victorian dresses

My ts bestie's partner is, does that count? Lol. They attend events in our area every now and then.
    I was given a steam punk corset once. I have a few things that could work with it, just need to find a top I like. I'm really not a fan of lace, so that will probably narrow my search.
    I would dress steampunk-y for Halloween, if I had the chance.

Banned Read only
    Rachel,
    I like painting steam engines when dressed does that count ?

Banned Read only
    I can't say I was ever a fan.

Although I do like the Victorian styles, I don't like the whole "Alternative timeline where pockets where never invented" thing.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I'm into costumes, Rachell. I don't really have to have an exact theme. However, this cobbled together Halloween outfit had some steam punk elements. Including the mask. Unfortunately, other than a ton of photos of me with other incredible costumes at the event we attended? I didn't think enuff of this outfit to get a good photo of me in it!

P1130897 (640x579) (2).jpg
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Ya Doc,
    I knew you would have done it at some time (even if I missed the photo) and slim enough to get away with anything.

Since we're in lock down, I could only mail order.
    The stuff arrived yesterday, felt like 5 sizes bigger than I ordered.
    Hopefully next week I'll be able to visit the shop and exchange the clothes.
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

I have a couple Victorian dresses and suits (Recollections puts pockets in their Victorian clothez) and I have been looking at a streampunk hat on Amazon (I could get interested in steampunk if I had an event to go to)

I am! I have several steampunk pics from over many years!

Teresa: I like painting steam engines when dressed does that count ?
    Yes possibly ... are you a Punk??

Love the shoe style....Victorian Ankle Boot

Mod might move this lol
    Escapism isn't necessarily bad, but is definitely unhealthy in the long term. While helpful in the short term, things will degrade over time. At some point, the escapee will have to face the issue. Things simply blowing over isn't really going to happen in many situations.

Banned Read only
    Thanks for this thread. It gave me a huge chuckle for more than one reason, which including laughing at myself!

The moment I saw the title "Steampunk," I automatically assumed "this had to be about music, right? Outfits like 'The Men That Will Not Be Blamed for Nothing.'" I had no idea it was about fashion. I must be getting old. I'm no longer au fait with the latest fashion trends, "retro" or otherwise.

I enjoyed being reminded of "steampunk" anyway, especially of the delightfully raucous tribute this band played to that great engineer who did so much to kick off the progress of the Victorian age: the "Bloke in the Stovepipe Hat" with the wonderfully uncommon name (here's the song):

So he built me a bridge and he built it well,
    Isambard Kingdom BRUNEL!

Brunel was famous for building the Great Western Railway in England, the Thames Tunnel, the Clifton Suspension Bridge (among many others), and the "Great Western," one of the first steamships to cross the Atlantic.

That was a laugh in itself. Back in those days of the 1830s, a pompous old fellow styled Profesor Dionysius Lardner, who thought he "knew it all" and tried to :blind people with science," was constantly contradicting Brunel, who knew twice as much as Lardner did. For some reason--were they friends and associates?--Brunel permitted Lardner to run "experimental trains" on his Great Western Railway, which more than once resulted in disastrously comic collisions. Lardner declared that Brunel couldn't build a certain rail tunnel on a slope because if a train ran away, it would rush out of the tunnel doing 120 mph (wrong!) and at that speed the passengers would not be able to breathe (doubly wrong!) These glorious blunders are related in L.T.C. Rolt's classic (and beautifully written) book on railway history, "Red for Danger. But Lardner's greatest and most laughable blunder may well be his infamous prediction that "no steamship could ever cross the Atlantic, because the voyage would require more coal than it could carry!" That was just two years before Brunel's "Great Western" ship made it victoriously acoss the Atlantic in 1838. So three cheers for the triumph of STEAM!

Lardner's mistake--he was an expert in ?the Art of Being Wrong?-- belongs in the category of "Famous Last Words." Harking back to to the topic of music, it calls to mind the unnamed executive of Decca Records who in the early 1960s turned down an obscure little "pop" group calling themselves by the curious name of "the Beatles" for a recording contract. His explanation: "We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on their way out."

Yeah, RIGHT! Then there was the schoolmaster alleged to have told a little boy that "You'll never amount to anything... Einstein!"

The whole point of the song was that they told Brunel ?You can't do that!?--but he went ahead and did it anyway.

The moral of this tale: It might be a good motto for crossdressers too! So let's hear it for Steampunk!
    Last edited by Marianne S; 05-13-2020 at 02:38 PM.

while I have never dressed in the style I love it and would love to get out and about in it. Probably to a steam punk gathering or club
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sallee