Thread: Unbelievable V-E Day celebration !

Banned Read only

Unbelievable V-E Day celebration !

A couple of days ago my neighbour dropped a leaflet through my door announcing a distant V-E Day celebration and street party , in between several have put up flags and buntings in their front gardens and driveways , I have to admit it was a nice sight during this lockdown period . The weather was great so I decided to make an effort and put tables and chairs out for people to chat at a distance . I didn't have any flags so thought I might wear my Union Jack dress , it was so warm I decided on a lightweight cotton skirt and a peach coloured top but I did have my neat little Union Jack hat . It all kicked off at 3.00pm , as some may recall the neighbours across the road still did a bit of ducking and diving and the couple on my left were inproving . Well all that was washed away today, I sat and chatted to the husband and wife from across the road , after two years the wife couldn't have been friendlier . The couple on my left were playing music from that period and I encouraged them to dance to the music on their lawn . I had several paintings of Spitfires in action which they viewed with great interest .

Also by then people from the rest of the estate had started to walk round with glasses of wine and often with their dogs on leads , so I got to chat with many people I'd only briefly seen drive by . I know some on the forum are going to argue the point but I really did get treated like a woman today even having a full conversation with them , the other really nice aspect was my close neighbours didn't have a problem with accepting me as a woman , there were no uncomfotable moments or second glances while they introduced me .

Even after 75 years on V-E Day was still a special one for me to remember .
    Last edited by DAVIDA; 05-09-2020 at 03:43 AM. Reason: Moderated actions are not allowed for discussion.

I'm glad things went well, Teresa, and that you were able to get to know your neighbours (and they, you) so much better as a result.

That's wonderful! Thank you for posting.
    -Jen

Platinum Member
    Thanks for posting in this section. I posted in the lounge. Glad to see your countrymen and women paid tribute to those who served. I have not seen anything on my local news casts related to the 75th anniversary. I would have thought there would have been some sort of commemoration from The White House.

PS: The NBC Nightly News did mention fleetingly President Trump paid tribute to some WW 2 veterans, but, the emphasis of the story was he did not wear a mask. My local news did mention an aerial fly by by a group of prop planes. I got to check to see if there is a good war movie on tonight or break out my dvd of "The Battle of Britain," 1969.
    Last edited by Stephanie47; 05-08-2020 at 07:45 PM.

Teresa, Good for you and all of your neighbors to celebrate the 75th anniversary of VE Day. I think it was a nice affirmation of you as a good neighbor.
    Crissy

Please remember this is the MtF section and posts should refer to CDing, otherwise, this thread will have to be closed.

Great post about a great day ! And a great celebration!

Aspiring Member
    That's a great story, so glad it went well for you.
    Vikky
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adventure before dementia

Teresa,

What was that saying Mystic Meg (fortune teller on UK tv) used to say, "Think lucky and you'll be lucky".

Well it seems in your situation act normal and you'll be treated normally seems to be the case.

Hopefully these meetings will widen the circle of people who get to know you for the person you are and not base their judgments on outdated prejudices. I think leaving the union Jack dress in the wardrobe was a good call. A bit of modesty and decorum seemed to win the day.

Glad you had such a lovely day.

Banned Read only
    Helen,
    Quite a funny story about the dress , I mentioned I had one to the wife who has done most ducking and diving in the past , I told her I thought it best not to wear it as it is a little on the short side , she said that's Ok you have the legs but then added could she borrow it ? Her husband sat next to her with his eyes nearly popping out !!

Sometime ago an antique and used furniture dealer also had on display service uniforms as she sold them at the special events , I must admit I was very taken with a WRNS officer's uniform , I did try it on on in ther shop but the skirt was too small but the jacket fitted fine , what a shame because I could have worn that .

OK Helen definition of " Normal " ? I do agree with your comment however .
    Last edited by Teresa; 05-09-2020 at 08:26 AM.

That's a nice story Teresa, glad it went well.

Lovely day enjoyed reading about it.
    If you are a Genetic Female (Female at Birth) and would like to join us in the F.A.B. Forum, please follow the link.

F.A.B. Forum Access

Sherlyn,My beautiful sweet girl
    You forever and always will be my one and only true love . ❤️

Administrator

When I read about this , even I thought you made the right wardrobe choice .
    I actually have that same Union Jack dress and have for awhile but I only wear it to go see Def Leppard . That is no joke - I wear it with my Doc Martens with the Union Jack toes also . . Anyway , I am glad you had a good time and were treated normally .
    IG : Knightress Oxide

Teresa, I'm glad that you had a good time at the celebration and your neighbors have become a little more accepting.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Banned Read only
    I would really like to thank you all for your comments . The current situation is advising us to keep a safe distance and yet it's ironic it has brought my communtiy closer together especially for me . It's only a few short weeks ago I was commenting on neighbours ducking and diving and yet the lady across the road even invited me in to show me her jigsaw puzzles she's been doing since the lockdown . I have been told by several people that they now prefer me as Teresa , I certaily wouldn't have expected it from my neighbours , I guess it's a case of watch this space .

Glad that you had a nice time.

It's what I would expect. Some people need time others just haven't had the opportunity. It is what I have found living openly.

It comes down to you as a person. It is when they look past the coverings and see you. That's you opportunity to shine.

Congrats on moving forward on your journey! Well, did you lend the neighbor lady your dress? Glad it all worked out for you! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    U expect us to argue with u about being "treated like a woman"?

I hope u were, if that's what u wanted, Teresa? Since I can't pass on a moonless nite in a blackout, I NEVER expect to be treated like a woman.

The best I ever hope for is to be treated politely and respectfully as an old man in a dress!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

It's not that Teresa passes. It is she is making a statement and people are responding to it.

She is one of them and is being accepted as such. Isn't that what everyone wants?

And Sherry, if you want that experience you should be able to have it. You may not like how you look , but you could be accepted as a woman if you wanted. Like I am, I don't pass, but I have no problem being accepted as a woman. My friends address me as such no matter how I am dressed.

Yes technically they see me as being TG, and use female pronouns. My friends treat me like a woman, are mostly women.

We saw interesting pictures of the garden parties in the UK, here on TV in NZ. Seemed a lot of fun. Saw a woman in a Union Flag dress such as you have, Teresa, and another wearing a hat like yours.
    Interesting day!

Banned Read only
    Jean,
    Thanks for making that reply , the subject of "passing" does pass us by , I think less and less about it , people are not only responding to the statement but accepting it .

Gale,
    On the subject that dress , my hat was commented on by two ladies I hadn't met before , I replied that I also had the dress but thought it was too short , the reply was , " come on GIRL you've got the legs for it !" My neighbour was listening and added , " That's what I told HER !! "

Dutchess ,
    I feel in that case I should buy a " Stars and stripes dress " , thanks for your comment it was a great day .

I think you made a wise decision no to wear the Union Jack dress on this solemn day, honoring so many who gave all for freedom.

Banned Read only
    Alice ,
    It was more a day of celebration in the name of freedom how ironic why we have now lost out freedom at the moment , not through war but a serious health threat .

My neighbours were playing Glen Miller music and dancing on the lawn , the guy across the road was attempting a jitterbug despite his atificial knee joints , in fact he called across and asked if I'd like to dance , I'm not sure what his wife thought sitting next to him .

Teresa sounds like a fantastic day. So glad you had a good time.

Banned Read only
    Connie ,
    I must admit I did think twice about joining in as it isn't that long ago when they were trying to avoid me , so it is now all working better than I expected .