Thread: Unbelievable V-E Day celebration !

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned Read only

Unbelievable V-E Day celebration !

A couple of days ago my neighbour dropped a leaflet through my door announcing a distant V-E Day celebration and street party , in between several have put up flags and buntings in their front gardens and driveways , I have to admit it was a nice sight during this lockdown period . The weather was great so I decided to make an effort and put tables and chairs out for people to chat at a distance . I didn't have any flags so thought I might wear my Union Jack dress , it was so warm I decided on a lightweight cotton skirt and a peach coloured top but I did have my neat little Union Jack hat . It all kicked off at 3.00pm , as some may recall the neighbours across the road still did a bit of ducking and diving and the couple on my left were inproving . Well all that was washed away today, I sat and chatted to the husband and wife from across the road , after two years the wife couldn't have been friendlier . The couple on my left were playing music from that period and I encouraged them to dance to the music on their lawn . I had several paintings of Spitfires in action which they viewed with great interest .

Also by then people from the rest of the estate had started to walk round with glasses of wine and often with their dogs on leads , so I got to chat with many people I'd only briefly seen drive by . I know some on the forum are going to argue the point but I really did get treated like a woman today even having a full conversation with them , the other really nice aspect was my close neighbours didn't have a problem with accepting me as a woman , there were no uncomfotable moments or second glances while they introduced me .

Even after 75 years on V-E Day was still a special one for me to remember .
    Last edited by DAVIDA; 05-09-2020 at 03:43 AM. Reason: Moderated actions are not allowed for discussion.