Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting the dressing journey later in life.

Starting the dressing journey later in life.

Hi all
    Just wondering did many only realise they were dressers sat an older age and if so what what started them? I was 21 before I wore any garments and that was encouragment from a gf. So happy she did now

I was 12 the first time I wore women's clothing and the thoughts were always there but I never dressed fully until I was around 50. Raising kids, lack of privacy, shame and confusion, and limited access to clothes all contributed to holding me back. A few years ago it hit me one day that I had been holding it at arms length my whole adult life. Now I have accepted that I have some kind of gender issues going on and am on a quest to find out my place in the gender confusion spectrum and where it will take me. Not to be overly dramatic but I have always been a logical person who wants to weigh the pros and cons, evaluate and make informed decisions. This is the only thing in my life I haven't been able to control and evaluate the way I have with everything else.

For the first fifty plus years of my life I never really even considered the idea of wearing or enjoying women's clothes. I always enjoyed taking my wife clothes shopping. She loved having a huge wardrobe and wore everything well so we both won in the deal. There were a lot of times that I'd think to myself that "If I were a woman..." I'd choose this or that, but never went farther than that...

I did try on an occasional item from her drawer or closet just out of curiosity. Her clothes were typically fitted for a very feminine figure and didn't show well in the mirror on me. But, I never considered wearing those things on an ongoing basis. There was never any identity attached to trying them on. It was just a momentary indulgence.

In my mid-fifties, while home alone one day, I picked out a pair of panties from my wife's drawer and put them on. At that point, I decided that i wanted some of my own. Since then, half of my closet has become storage for guy stuff and half for girl stuff. Same for my drawers. When at home now, I am much more likely to be in a dress or girl shorts than in guy stuff.

I'm a man-in-a-dress and have no sense of wanting to be, or pass as, a woman. I just enjoy the clothes.
    To be loved but not known is comforting but superficial. To be known and not loved is our greatest fear. But to be fully known and truly loved is, well, a lot like being loved by God. It is what we need more than anything. ~ Timothy Keller

I started dabbling in women’s clothes in college, but I didn’t start in earnest until I was close to 40.

Eleven was the age when this turbulent story of curiosity and trouble began. However, I was 20 when I first bought any women's clothing for myself.

No way Micki, you dont even liik close to 40 yet

Not me. I was interested from the beginning.
    I am a vessel of the goddess. Let me express my calling to a feminine life through nurturing love and relatedness.

I knew that I wanted to wear women's clothes and hang out with the girls at 5 years old.
    Feedback from adults convinced me that I was wrong, so I fought the desire, causing myself much angst.
    It took me about a half of a century to acknowledge that it wasn't going away, and that although it may not be typical, but it's not wrong.

Hi Sophie,

I have had a desire to don women's clothing for as long as I could remember. I never really did anything about it. By the time I turned 56 the desire was so bad I couldn't think straight. I gave into it and never looked back. I'm much happier now and more at peace with myself.

On a side note ... Micki, there is no way you are over 40.
    - Robin

Because life is too short not to.

It's ironic ... I finally found a group of guys I fit in with. Funny how they all enjoy being one of the girls.

Wife: Why do you fold your panties? Me: I don't like my panties in a wad!

I don't feel I have "gender issues" I just love dressing up!
    I also stopped dressing for about 20 years while my children were growing up.
    "This is ME" I am not CRAZY, I'm just a GUY who likes dresses!
    Since allot of men dress up in woman's clothing that makes it a manly thing to do!
    Much more fun than fishing.
    I do construction like house building and I love CD-ing, what's the difference?

I wore panties around preteen to teen years and into my 40s! Did not fully dress until I was 64! Yes a naive late bloomer! LOL Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Aspiring Member
    I can't remember a time in my life when I didn't have urges to wear feminine clothing. I remember cross-dressing when I was 3 years old. Then again, as a small child I did go through gender dysphoria.

Sorry i was always interested in soft silky and nylon closings by the time i can remember in my moms nylons by the age of 6!

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sophie p View Post
    Hi all
    Just wondering did many only realise they were dressers sat an older age and if so what what started them? I was 21 before I wore any garments and that was encouragment from a gf. So happy she did now
    I'm sorry Sophie. No offense intended but u have NO CLUE what "later in life" means! You're in your 30's? U began dressing at 21?
    I was just beginning having real sex at 21!

I began dressing OUT OF THE BLUE in my 50's. There aren't many like that here, but there r a few. Middle age is roughly 40's to 60. And, I believe "late in life" is generally in your 70's, (like me), or older!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Tomi
    I started it at 27. I lived really stressful and emotionally overwhelming times and I started doing feminine things as fetish to cope with the stress and balance my feminine side which resulted in dressing.

Platinum Member
    I remember moments at age 3 or 4 when i secretively wore my older sister?s slips. I have vague recollections of not being boyish enough to suit my older siblings, which lead to many years of hiding, denial and self-loathing. I really didn?t allow myself to completely transform until I was in my 50s!
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Platinum Member
    I do not recall the exact age I started wearing any of my mother's clothing. I also would not apply any gender issues to wearing my mother's slips. I do remember I was not very tall when I started trying on her slips. I had to stand on the edge of the bathtub in order to take them down off the drying rack over the bathtub. I loved the feel of the nylon. It was unlike any boy clothing I wore. I had no desire to be a girl. It was just the feel of the nylon slips and her nightgowns. It wasn't until puberty that I went further; bras, girdle, hosiery, panty, and, the one dress I could fit into. I did a poor job of using her lipstick and hair spray. This caused a lot of angst as boys were not suppose to wear women's clothing. Back in the 1950's and 1960's any male wearing women's clothing was said to be a homosexual which was very confusing to a teen boy with raging hormones and lusted after girls and female starlets in the movies and on television. It wasn't until my mid 30's that I started buying dresses and shoes and my first wig.

I started very young, then took a 35 year hiatus then started back up again. Much thanks to a accepting wife. We had a dress up day yesterday where we both put on our sexy dresses and did our nails.

I was young maybe 10 or 11 when I tried on my mom's girdle and nylons. I loved how they looked and felt. I had always looked in the sears and montgomery ward catalogs so was interested in shapewear and dresses. It was not until I turned 50 that I started to feel a real urge/need to dress up. I found a place that did makeovers and once I looked in the mirror with full make up and wig I was all in. Other than panties worn daily, I usually do not wear nylons, bra and forms with women's clothes unless I can put on make up and a wig. I love the complete look.

I use to think that after any guy got dress up for some reason would catch the CD bug.
    Over the years when I would see movies where the actor would have a role where they would have to dress fully as a woman and would find they love it!
    "This is ME" I am not CRAZY, I'm just a GUY who likes dresses!
    Since allot of men dress up in woman's clothing that makes it a manly thing to do!
    Much more fun than fishing.
    I do construction like house building and I love CD-ing, what's the difference?

Dealt with it since the age of 5.

Hated every bit of it until I self-accepted at the age of 51.

Love it now and have made it a central part of my life ever since, I am an elderly soon-to-be 59.
    Visit Kandi's Land (http://www.kandis-land.com/) daily! Nothing but positive and uplifting posts!
    Pictures and stories of every time out: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131254150@N06/.

Quote Originally Posted by Judy-Somthing View Post
    I don't feel I have "gender issues" I just love dressing up!
    I also stopped dressing for about 20 years while my children were growing up.
    I feel the exact same way. I have never stopped for more than a short 2 years after my divorce at 19. After that it has been just normal for me and my wife's(3). It is morre than just a game but I like it and that's what counts.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Fran
    It's worth something just being around to Fuss!

Platinum Member
    Hi Sophie , I am 77 and I have been in this program for 73years now,

And I don't see that changing, >Orchid .oOOo.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Like Pixie, I was 11 the first time the impulse overtook me--I simply grabbed my mom's bra and slipped it on! I had some dabbles with it in my teens but I was 26 before I really dressed up head to toe and went for a nerve-wracking drive out. Since then, lots of purges and self hate and crying sessions with my therapist and no matter how hard I try, I still love that woman in the mirror!

11 does seem to be a very common age to develop the urge. I used to take every opportunity I could to get time alone in the house so I could try my sister?s skirts. Even then an absence of over a month would give me itchy feet.

It spiralled out of control very quickly after that resulting in my attending school as a girl by aged 14.

Today, I?m as deep in ?the fog? as ever and whilst I?m not full time, if Heather says it?s ?girl time?, then a day of skirts and heels is all but assured.