Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Missing the Physical Shops

Missing the Physical Shops

Hi,

I was in the local Sainsbury's Supermarket with my wife today for my food shop and I passed through the ladies clothing aisle taking a quick browse as I passed. The tiny selection, left me feeling a little bit despondent.

Then it hit me how much I am missing going to the big clothing shops, browsing the dresses, skirts, tops and everything else a girl could need. Yes, I am sort of getting my fix by looking on-line, but (for me at least) there's nothing quite like seeing and feeling the clothing before purchase. I have bought a handful of things from eBay and Amazon, including a rather pretty pair of pink leggings. The only thing is, if I had been able to look at them physically before buying, I maybe would have left them alone as they are somewhat see-through...my knickers are on full show through them...guess I'm wearing a skirt over them then! I could return them, but to be honest, I can't be bothered for price they cost.

I know it's horses for courses and some will prefer on-line, but for me it's the actual process of seeing the goods, feeling the quality of the materials and manufacture that counts.

Andrea. x

Same here Andrea, missing just browsing in the women's clothing section, especially the sale rack. Last week was a 25% discount promo in Sainsburys, but my local store had put in a one way system around the clothing section to keep things moving, and I couldn't really stop and have a good look.
    "She snuck up on me from behind. You'd think women would make more noise with those big high heels, but they don't, they've got this stealth thing going..."

I too miss being able to go to a shop to check out the merchandise before I buy, not to mention going shopping crossdressed. I think the only fem things I ever bought online so far were my first wig and all my breast forms.

As bad as things are for customers like us, Imagine how bad it is for folks whose livelihoods depend on these businesses being open. I hope they can stay above water until this whole thing blows over.
    When haters hate, I celebrate!

Reality Check
    I suppose it depends on where you live. Where I live, many of the restrictions have been lifted or modified. I was able to go to Ross the other day and find some nice things.

They have to limit the number of people in the store and the aisles are marked as "one way" to promote distancing. Unfortunately, most of the customers were not able to figure that out.
    Krisi

Banned Read only
    I miss shopping more than dancing, as I can dance as home. I really miss browsing the racks, finding that treasure cute dress, trying on tons of clothes while chatting with the SA in little boutiques.

Online shopping is just not the same experience.

For all of you still afraid to shop and try on in the store, you don't know what you are missing.

I also miss going to the shops, being able to pick things out and try them on before you buy
    is just a wonderful experience

There is no substitute for in store shopping. Trying clothes on is critical. Too many styles just don't "look" the same on the body as they do in a photo. So many items that I have purchased on line have to be returned because quality,fit, shape, etc just is not what I anticipated. I've put aside some money from each paycheck so I can shop once things reopen. Nikki
    Last edited by char GG; 05-28-2020 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Borders on being political, not going to have that discussion here.

I miss shopping - but I am leary about browsing the clothing racks (both social distancing and worries about surface contamination - I suppose neither is real)

I certainly miss shopping. My last trip was at the end of February. It was my most empowering trip since coming out and I was so looking forward to my next trip when everything was shut down. I really miss engaging with the SA's and browsing the racks. Shopping on-line doesn't have the same appeal. I am fearful the face of brick and mortar retail will be forever changed once things open back up again.
    - Robin

Because life is too short not to.

It's ironic ... I finally found a group of guys I fit in with. Funny how they all enjoy being one of the girls.

Wife: Why do you fold your panties? Me: I don't like my panties in a wad!

Banned Read only
    Andrea,
    I'm not sure if you're in the UK or the US when ypu mention Sainsbury's . I totally agree with you , online shopping rates a poor second for me , I have snapped up some bargains but I prefer to wait until the shops open their doors again .

I have bought some items from Sainsbury's but not been that impressed with the quality for the price , I wouldn't buy any of their tights again . I did have an Email informing me Matalan are re-opening , I have to admit the quality for the price is amazing , also John Lewis are re-opening but the guidelines say no changing facilities , I'm not sure if you could sneak into the toilets for a quick try-on .

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    When will the THRIFTS re open?
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Some of the physical department and clothing stores in my neck of the globe have started to re-open, but it's not all that it's cracked up to be. There are still many restrictions in place on the usage of fitting rooms, not to mention what protocols to apply when handling clothing on racks that have already been handled by other shoppers or previously tried on by them. Many of these protocols are still a work in progress and being developed on the fly since there are so many details, variables, and exceptions to be considered here. One size doesn't fill all...pun definitely intended . Social distancing is only part of the equation, and adequately sanitizing clothing is a real challenge. Maybe rolling the dice and opting for the "herd immunity" option is the ultimate answer.

Bottom line..."normalcy" (if ever) is still a long ways off, and even "shopping 'till you drop" has become one of those things nostalgia is made of.

Silver Member
    Sherry, they are probably open now but with restrictions.

Bridget, wear gloves. I do. They also cover my painted nails when I'm in drab.

Platinum Member
    Our stores (Washington State) for the most part are still under lock down. We have a Fred Meyer (Kroger) which is really a variety store with a food section. Its clothing section is increasingly becoming thin when it comes to a lot of bare essentials. I suspect the supply chain from many of the third world countries which produce these garments is having coronavirus troubles. The men's and women's sections have needed to be restocked for over a month. It's not a bad at our Target's, but it's getting somewhat slim pickings too.

Sherry , like never, you live in CALIFORNIA, like me.

With the position they are taking , how can you go into a clothing store and touch things others have just touched and brushed against?

Whatever, there is no replacing being about to see an item before you buy. That's besides the whole shopping experience.

Last week my best friend is telling me about the clothes she just bought. I'm like wait wear did you buy clothes. She is like Walmart.

Platinum Member
    Hi Andrea Jay, There is nothing better then going through the clothing racks >Orchid .oooo.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

I miss shopping also but i will wait for a long time until a vaccine is out! I think i have enough clothes to last me untill then and just think of all the money i will save !

Yes the same here missing the casual adventures to my favorite place and the ladies that work there. I hope they all return when things open back up.

Correction,

I guess everything is open, here. Driving down main street this morning, all the stores have their open signs on , front door open.

I called my best friend, we are going out to see what kind of trouble we can find tommorow.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean 103 View Post
    Sherry , like never, you live in CALIFORNIA, like me.

With the position they are taking , how can you go into a clothing store and touch things others have just touched and brushed against?

Whatever, there is no replacing being about to see an item before you buy. That's besides the whole shopping experience.

Last week my best friend is telling me about the clothes she just bought. I'm like wait wear did you buy clothes. She is like Walmart.
    Actually, CA (or at least most of it) opened up retail on Wednesday. That being said, it was a very sudden announcement and many retailers were not prepared to open that suddenly. Give them about a week and most of them will be open to some extent.

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Kay J View Post
    I miss shopping also but i will wait for a long time until a vaccine is out! I think i have enough clothes to last me untill then and just think of all the money i will save !
    You may be waiting a long time. There are still many diseases that have been around for a lot longer that they still don’t have a vaccine for.

Aspiring Member
    We definitely need the shops. Some things are best determined in person, such as quality, appearance/drape, color, and, all together now, size. We all know that female clothing sizes are standardized by a bunch of drunken monkeys. A size 12 is a different thing from brand to brand and too often even from item to item within a brand. The only way to get it right is to try on the item.

Silver Member
    They just opened up retail stores in large parts of upstate NY. (We have done so well in my region we could have done this over a month ago but whatever...)

I only shop online. I am a very big man, not a very big woman, and finding things that fit correctly in stores in very difficult and inefficient in terms of time and money. Maybe if I was not so disproportional for a woman I would shop in stores. When I shop for clothes I already know what I want and go looking for it, I don't go shopping without knowing exactly what I want and need to look around (am I odd in that regard? A GG friend says it is a very male way to shop.)

Reputable online sellers will give bust/waist/hip measurements, not just a size, which can be used to make sure things fit.

Quote Originally Posted by abby054 View Post
    We definitely need the shops. Some things are best determined in person, such as quality, appearance/drape, color, and, all together now, size. We all know that female clothing sizes are standardized by a bunch of drunken monkeys. A size 12 is a different thing from brand to brand and too often even from item to item within a brand. The only way to get it right is to try on the item.
    This quote gave me such a laugh. It is true that you do need to try stuff on to ensure it fits properly and, whilst you can send stuff back that is bought on-line, it takes so long, removing that instant, enjoyable hit, of knowing that what you have bought is the "perfect" item.

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Teresa;4450711]Andrea,
    I'm not sure if you're in the UK or the US when ypu mention Sainsbury's .

Hi Teresa, yes I am from the UK. I haven't bought too much from Sainsbury's, so I can't comment on the quality too much, but thanks for the heads-up on their tights. I have had a couple of things that have been sized wrong; eg where the store attached tag said size 12 and when I got home and found it didn't fit and subsequently looking at the label inside finding it to be an 8. They swapped it though with no arguments.

Aspiring Member
    Not sure what the problem is with Sainsbury tights. I think they are brilliant and I had a pair of their navy 40d on yesterday - flawless appearance and comfortable.

There is more to B&M shopping than just our personal preferences. Every time you buy online you export jobs and export money out of your local economy. Plus Amazon does not pay its fair share of taxes, taxes we are REALLY going to need from now on. I have never bought anything from Amazon and never will until they pay proper taxes and only once bought any clothes from any online supplier (not via Amazon). If you don't buy from physical shops they will cease to exist. So will the jobs they provide, their business rates to the Local Authority, and the 'multiplier' jobs that are generated by other employment. In local terms you are talking about libraries and theatres and ultimately even rubbish collection - these need to be funded. In national terms buying from Amazon is taking funding away from hospitals and schools. Buy from companies that pay tax and we will all be better off.

I just got an email from a lingerie shop that they are back open starting June 1st. I intend to go there soon!
    See how moods can change fast.
    Crissy