Thread: Good News from West Virginia

Aspiring Member

Good News from West Virginia

Rosemary Ketchum has just won a seat on Wheeling City Council, becoming the first out trans person to win an election in West Virginia.
    She becomes one of only 26 out trans elected officials serving anywhere in the US. Meanwhile, she is only the fourth LGBT+ elected official in West Virginia.
    She said: "I feel excited to represent inclusivity, but I'm not making my campaign about my gender identity."

Rosemary_Ketchum5_sm.jpg

You can read more at: https://www.gaystarnews.com/article/...rans-official/
    Last edited by Sheren Kelly; 06-11-2020 at 09:38 AM.
    Warmly,
    Sheren Kelly

Wow... West Virginia. Yes, I'm coloring my view of Wheeling with a generalization about the entire state, but still. It is an impressive accomplishment for Rosemary and a huge step forward for that community. Congratulations to all there.
    Calling bigotry an "opinion" is like calling arsenic a "flavor".

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    One of these days the fact that an elected official will be "and by the way. . ". But until that rolls around this is a great boost both for our community and the residents of West Virginia. Congratulations to all around.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Great for her and us. Thanks for sharing.

Banned Read only
    Sheren,
    It is very encouraging for the community , she makes claims I hope very much she's allowed to carry through , I guess for her now the hard work starts so I wish her the best of luck . I would like to think more will follow so eventually the trans label may become unnecessary .

Aspiring Member
    And this just in, my friend Mia Mason won the Democratic party primary for Maryland's 1st District! She received 17,734 votes on Tuesday, giving her a sizable margin for a win in the Democratic primary. Even more monumental is that she is the first transgender veteran candidate to ever run for Congressional office. Mia has been working hard to get here, I first met her in 2018 as she was beginning her political career.

This is a picture of that meeting.

Mia and Me_2018_sm.jpg
    Last edited by Sheren Kelly; 06-14-2020 at 06:25 AM.
    Warmly,
    Sheren Kelly

I hope more of our sisters will run and win. I look forward to the day when being trans will not matter.

Robin
    I'm just trying to find a decent melody
    A song that I can sing in my own company

U2

Aspiring Member
    Sheren,
    Thank for your work! To date, my support has only been financial to organizations like HRC, Transgender Law Center, and ACLU. I hope when family obligations with raising small kids will subside, I could help out more.
    Katya

Congrats to Rosemary and Mia

Wonderful news, thanks!
    Crissy

Thanks for sharing, its great to know that voters can see the quality of the person without being distracted by discriminatory preconceptions. The world is changing, I'm glad I am able to participate in that change.