Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: are you ready to shop again?

are you ready to shop again?

hello,
    here in the UK clothes shops have been closed since the middle of March because of the Covid pandemic. The shops are starting to open again with "social distancing" rules.
    I love shopping for women's clothes (dressed as a man because I do not "pass"), but I am not sure if I want to go shopping again.
    Apart from the health risks, I am worried that the "new normal" will make me more noticeable. And will clothes shopping be such a pleasure if have to follow a one way route? That may be fine if you know what you want and where it is in the shop, but if you are just browsing for something pretty or seeking a bargain will be much fun?
    what do you think?
    luv J

I don?t know what things are like there, but I can say I?ve never had issue with sales staff or other customers looking at me oddly. I shop in guy stuff pretty often and there have been light hearted jokes that I go along with, but no one has ever said anything malicious to me. I find sales staff couldn?t care less and are generally just happy to make a sale. Things were shut down here for months too, but stores are mostly open now with limited hours and I have already bought some new women?s clothes with no issues. I don?t see my buying habits changing anytime soon.

Platinum Member
    As a senior I have no desire to go out to any place which increases my exposure to anyone or situation which will increase the risk of contacting COVID-19. During the lock down I have gone through Wal-Mart and Fred Meyer (Kroger) which were open because they are grocers/variety stores. I have noticed the clothing racks are wanting of clothing. Seems the stores have not been ordering too much because of the prospect of nothing selling. Why buy if you're stuck at home?

I've been taking advantage of the online sales so I have plenty of new clothes.

I've only been grocery shopping in the mornings when the stores are empty. .

While I'm not in a risk group, most of my friends and co-workers are, so why risk it if you don't have to?

You may find it a different experience. Some shops don't allow you to touch the clothes. An SA gets it for you and no trying on.

Other shops are more flexible but there will be fewer people in the stores at any one time.

I use all the early senior's shopping hours, it's less crowded and they just finished "cleaning" and stocking the shelves the only problem now is all the changing/fitting rooms are closed.
    "you are a strange species and there are many out there;shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you ,you are at your best when things are at their worst" ...[ Starman]
    It may of course be a bit disturbing to sense that one is really not so firmly anchored to the gender one was born into.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Get used to it, ladies! Whatever it is now and in the near future? That's the new "normal"!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I picked up something at a local store, but only because I checked online and knew that my item was in stock In my size. I was in and out in under 10 minutes.

Yes, I have already been. I wear a scarf, I have four beautiful ones I ordered on line from Kohl's.

I'm a service tech, I have never stopped working or touring the county as I see it. I meet new people every day. I work alone with no one around so I rarely need to wear a mask.

My social life was been completely shut down.

I start eating at a couple of my favorite places now they are open again.

I went to Fallas last week and bought a dress for 5.99. It had a hi low hem. I cut that off, used that material for the new hem.

Pretty new sun dress I wore to my hometowns first Pride held last Saturday.

I normally keep my distance from people, so in some ways I like this. But they opened the bar a couple weeks ago. I went to karaoke, well I haven't seen most my friends in months. Not only did they all hug me some also kissed me, Zero distance. I haven't died yet, yes the night was more than worth it.

And Halloween this year is in VEGAS BABY, already have a room.
    Last edited by Jean 103; 06-30-2020 at 10:15 PM.

Banned Read only
    If you feel safe pandemic wise, then I think you should put on your big girl panties and get out there and shop!

Who cares what anyone thinks? Before I went full time I shopped for women's clothing in DRAB for over 20 years. Often at stores that only sell women's clothing. I even got bra fittings AND tried dresses and lingerie on in the stores.

All while "dressed like a man"...

Quit making excuses like only being able to walk one direction, the only one stopping you is yourself.

California might be shut down again.

Yes and no. Other then some shorts a few months ago. I haven't really bought clothing in person. In probably two years. Its not because I don't want to, but every thing we had. Has pretty munch went belly up in the last 10 years, or closed local stores.

Yes -- been hard at it ! went to our large Tesco's & visited a consession called " Evans " ( they do clothes up to 32 size ,U.K. ) had a good root round tried on a couple of things . The staff didnt seem bothered by my actions or the fact i was in "male mode"-- i shop all the time in male mode-- i have bought quite a lot from this outlet so i do wonder if i am reconised !
    Three days ago i had a look on line a a U.K. firm ( J.D. Williams ) as they were/ are having a sale -- bought six items of clothing & 1 pair of shoes total,235 pounds sale price -83 pounds.......... so yes we have lost one ladies ( outsize ) chain of shops -- Bon Marche -- but there are others still out there. Problem is being a " indoor" dresser.............

Banned Read only
    Jacques,
    I love my retail shopping , so it's good to be able to thumb through the racks again . I needed to get some idea of what the style is this year but we're seeing such a variety as some shops are trying to shift some old winter stock , the same goes for shoes , summer sandals are mixed in with winter boots . People are desparate to get out so be careful because they want to chat , I had a lovely conversation with a lady in Matalan , the more animated we became the closer we got , we had to remind oursleves we still need to keep a safe distance . The trickiest one is whole famillies shopping together , maybe they should be restricted as the kids aren't being totally supervised .

I guess a good compromise is " Click and collect " at the moment .

Liz,
    I found all changing rooms still closed but people are ignoring the restriction and slipping on coats , jackets and cardigans on in the shops , I admit they all offer exchanges but it is a pain having to take items home to try on , it doesn't appear logical as you then have to return to the shop for a credit on the item and risk contact again .
    Last edited by Teresa; 07-01-2020 at 06:13 AM.

Reality Check
    In my part of the world, stores have been allowed to reopen with "social distancing" and masks. Unfortunately, many shoppers are unable to understand the one-way aisles and "social distancing" means "stay away from me", not "I'll stay away from you".

My wife and I got some nice bargains at Ross shortly after they reopened. I'm wearing one of the dresses as I type.
    Krisi

I buy most of women's clothing online now that I know all my sizes, so no need to go the store for it. However I have seen a lot of people shopping around here. The TJ Maxx/Homegoods store that is in the plaza where I work has been packed with cars and people. The store where I work has gotten busier as well (but unfortunately are staffing has not gone up much).

I would say it's safe to shop just wear a mask and adhere to social distancing.
    -Brandi

Follow me on my new Instagram to follow all my adventures as Brandi:
    Instagram: Brandi_sometimes

Aspiring Member
    I didn't buy online so I had been looking forward to the shops re-opening. I had asked one of my favourite boutiques to set aside a dress for me when they had reduced it by 30%. On Monday the shops with street entrances re-opened (though M&S non-food remained out of bounds for some reason) and I went to collect my dress. They had 50% off that day and I pointed out that I had actually bought it at 30% off but they insisted. I was dressed as a man and they offered to let me try it on but it was too hot and muggy. They had had a very successful morning but in the late afternoon I stayed and chatted with the owner and her daughter for an hour and a half and no one else came in. I also decided to buy a necklace that was not on offer but they still gave me 25% off so with both purchase I got ?130 worth for ?72.50. As soon as I got home I showered and put on my new dress which I love. There are various things being done to my house and garden over the next few weeks so don't know when I can next venture out dressed to shop. The boutique owner and I are planning a shopping trip with an overnight in Glasgow - I will of course be fully dressed throughout. So the first day of dress shopping in Scotland was a huge success for my friend and for me.

They also told me they have a young man working in their shop on Sundays who wears women's trousers and tops in the shop.
    Last edited by susan54; 07-01-2020 at 09:08 AM.

Dawn , we still are on lock down.

Only things permitted by the King are allowed. We have not had our freedom restored.

And yes he will probably take some of what he has allowed back.

Still as far as dressing, you can still do whatever is allowed dressed as before, you just may be required to cover your face.

Like I don't think I'm allowed to go and visit my friends at their homes, but I can go to everyone else's house for work.

Our malls are closed but many freestanding stores are open including most of the thrift stores I used to frequent. I have been to all of the open ones in the last month. But since fitting rooms are closed I am way pickier and only picked up a few things.

I am so ready.

I have bought a few things online from hat I believed to be domestic retailers only to find, after weeks and weeks of waiting, that the items were sized differently than what I was used to and all the paperwork was in chinese; DOH...

The stuff from Gap and Old Navy fits perfect.

Anyway, if you're about a size eight, or maybe even a six in once case, I have a couple of really cute dresses available, we'd just need to figure out the postage. LOL
    I am Me and Me is OK!

Shelby

Quote Originally Posted by ShelbyDawn View Post
    I am so ready.

I have bought a few things online from hat I believed to be domestic retailers only to find, after weeks and weeks of waiting, that the items were sized differently than what I was used to and all the paperwork was in chinese; DOH...

The stuff from Gap and Old Navy fits perfect.

Anyway, if you're about a size eight, or maybe even a six in once case, I have a couple of really cute dresses available, we'd just need to figure out the postage. LOL
    Chinese sizes are smaller than ours-- so a ( U.K. ) size 22 is in china somthing like 5XX.....

Don't let the Pink Fog creep in and get a deja vu feeling! I have had to restrain myself because of our new found freedom and with everything open well..... I did get two very nice bras the other day to go with a new outfit I am planning on getting
    I started life a lost man now I am a found woman

Banned Read only
    Bobbi,
    I agree it's easy to let the guard slip , we're still not through this yet and without taking care we could end up back at square one .

Silver Member
    We are always noticeable in public, so get used to it. But most importantly, sales staff are wage earners who have had a break that was much too long. They welcome anyone who comes into their store, and I feel that those of us who can afford it should get out there and spend, thereby helping to restore employment levels.

You look nice enough to get out there and be proud of yourself, even if you feel you don't pass as female. Own it.

I haven't paid much attention to if stores are open in Costa Rica, nor I'm ready to go shopping, even if I had the money.