Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beaumont Society

Beaumont Society

Hi,
    Here in the U.K. we have the Beaumont Society ( for crossdressers ) i wonder if any U.K. members on here also belong to the Beaumont society & what do they think of it ?

Banned Read only
    Liz,
    I'm very friendly with one of the area supervisers ( East Midlands ), she's a lovely person for that reason I am considering joining . The old fashioned image was of " Twin set and pearls " but that image has almost gone . Like most of these organisations the age group is in the more mature category , they produce a very useful magazine and hold functions throughout the country . The other important point is they have a separate group for wives and partners so they can be contacted in strictest confidence . As it is a registered charity established in 1966 there is a membership fee which varies depending if you wish to receive the magagzine by post or Email .

It is intended to support evryone within the TG spectrum , I've just checked an old magazine and it doesn't mention " crossdressers" it refers to a " Trans lifestyle " .

Thanks Teresa, Thinking of joining though i do wonder -- on their web page they mention 650 members ,perhaps i have misread it.....
    sorry about the crossdressin bit -- didnt mean to upset anyone !
    Liz

Banned Read only
    Liz,
    I can't answer that one but if it's the case they could do with more , it may sound small but they do have great respect officially .

No problem with your slip up but many members are TS . I'm not sure if you can attend meeting as a visitor , I'll have to contact my friend to check on that one . She keeps nagging me to join but her motive is needing a new area supervisor , I would also like to contribute to the magazine which I can only do as a member .

Hi Teresa,
    Just had another look & yes they say 650 & growing -- that was in 2018.

Liz,

I must admit to knowing about the Beaumont society, it has been mentioned a few times in posts here but that seems a good while ago. I've attended support groups as a visitor, really to see what they were like, but before going I emailed the secretary to ask if it was OK for me to attend really out of politeness. I took a box of chocolates with me to share around as a way of saying thank you and also paid a one off small weekly contribution subscription again out of consideration for their kind welcome.

If Teresa can point you in the right direct then I'd say you have nothing to lose and a great deal to gain.

For info, both groups I attended had changing facilities at the venues and both were in private function rooms in pubs/hotels.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

I'm a member of the Beaumont - i'm Post Op Ts , and i'm just as welcome as anyone else . There is a broad spectum of folk on there forums and in the general membership.
    Be truthful to yourself.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    We have, (had), something similar in the States called Tri Ess. It was for trans and their wives. Single CD's not welcome! I know, I asked!

I know our local branch vanished 10 years ago. Maybe the entire, obsolete, organisation? Kaitlyn Jenner single handedly changed the identity of dressers in the public's mind here.

Since then, dressers appear commonly in public. And, CD's seem to be more acceptable in trans organisations and meeting circles, too!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

The chapter in the Chicago area of TriEss wasn’t “CD and spouse only”... I attended a couple events before I moved to FL... but they definitely lean more towards the full time/ transitioning end of the spectrum now.
    Kelly a.k.a. VS Fan

That sounds like a really lovey organization.

The Beaumont Society has been around a long time.

I chose not to join, as it seemed not to be what I was looking for back then (my pre forum days)

From what I remember any meeting I could attend was a long way away.

They may have improved over the years but i never hear of them outside this forum anymore.

I chose to join a more local support group, and have never looked back since.
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

hi ,
    Shelly,
    How did you find a local group ? i have looked but i am afraid when i looked into them deeper their " activities" were not for me...

Banned Read only
    Liz,
    I would suggest you keep searching , in my area I could attend ( before lockdown ) several different groups all with a different agendas . My local one has about 25% attending with wives/partners which gives it a good mix , it's so good to talk to GGs and get their thoughts on the situation . I also prefer to meet in an open situation in a hotel , at least you can mix with the general public if you feel confident enough and it does help . OK lets be honest some are looking for hook-ups but you will find not many mixed groups accept openly dating .

Nowdays you may find details pinned to notice boards in your local GPs surgery or even on a church noticeboard , these days acceptance is far more open , the facilities are there if you want them , also check out your local PRIDE group , usually details are posted on college noticeboards .

Liz,

There is trans Warrington on Google. I believe Helen has visited the group at Llandudno and speaks well of them.

This group is in Birkenhead Liz: Wirral Transisters - 1st Tuesday of every month, from 6.30pm in Terrence Higgins Trust, 5 Bridge Street, Birkenhead (around the corner from Hamilton Square Station) Might be worth a phone call initially.

On a Beaumont Society note a former President and doyen of our community in the 80's, Janett Scott, sadly, passed away on 20th June. She ran the society for many years and was stalwart in organising the annual ball in Rotherham. RiP Janett and thank you for your work.
    Last edited by Raychel; 07-02-2020 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Phone number not allowed on the forum
    Carole

WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies , projects or any other reasons You DO NOT have permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or forum posts both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a violation of my privacy and will be subject to legal action.

Quote Originally Posted by Carole View Post
    This group is in Birkenhead Liz: Wirral Transisters - 1st Tuesday of every month, from 6.30pm in Terrence Higgins Trust, 5 Bridge Street, Birkenhead (around the corner from Hamilton Square Station) . Might be worth a phone call initially.

On a Beaumont Society note a former President and doyen of our community in the 80's, Janett Scott, sadly, passed away on 20th June. She ran the society for many years and was stalwart in organising the annual ball in Rotherham. RiP Janett and thank you for your work.
    Hi Carole,
    Thanks for your effort on my behalf -- Bridge St round the courner from hamilton station -- sounds to me you know Birkenhead.... ? Having swaeted tears convincing my O/H i was not gay i dont want to undo all that hard work/ greif by going to a gay meeting -- i was hoping for a C/D group. Perhaps The beaumont Society is it....
    Oh yes -- bit off topic but ,Model railways ?

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE
    Last edited by Raychel; 07-02-2020 at 05:44 PM. Reason: phone number removed

Quote Originally Posted by Helena View Post
    Liz,

There is trans Warrington on Google. I believe Helen has visited the group at Llandudno and speaks well of them.
    Liz,

Helena is correct, I've been to the group meeting on about 3 occasions. Here's the link to their web site. It's a diverse group that meets once a month in a private function room in a sea front hotel. They have the use of their own bar and changing facilities. I've always been warmly welcomed but as I say above, I email in advance out of simple courtesy.

There used to be a thriving group that met weekly in Manchester but many of the member no long felt the need to meet in secret as it were as the pubs and clubs in the Gay Village were so welcoming and numbers dwindled. I believe there's still a few that meet in a pub called the Goose every month but if I were going again I'd go to this web site and follow the contact link and see if you get a reply, nothing ventured eh!

It's been my practice to offer a chance for anyone from the forum the opportunity to meet in a pub in the gay Village one night in November. Depending upon how the pandemic plays out I'll do the same this year but there are various factors that'll influence my options so watch this space.

PM me if you want additional info.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

Hi Helen,
    thanks for that -- had a look at Llandudno -- will have to brush up my Welsh ! As i am well over 70 i am sort of restricted by age as well as trepidation ! the best i have done is try out walking in heels , 3" heels for 3/4 of a mile........
    liz

Banned Read only
    Liz,
    I had to smile at your comment on model railways as the person I mentioned also belongs to a railway society and no she doesn't combine the two , train talk is for the male friends .

Quote Originally Posted by VS Fan View Post
    The chapter in the Chicago area of TriEss wasn’t “CD and spouse only”... I attended a couple events before I moved to FL... but they definitely lean more towards the full time/ transitioning end of the spectrum now.
    I was in Chicagoland years back.I was "invited" to a Tri Ess group dinner. Somehow,sexuality became a discussion and revealing that I was bisexual soon got me "no more invites". Their "TriEss"had more to do with "the second self" in a hetero relationship than what they felt were my personal boundaries. I have been out to the world for 15 years now and I bet the "judges" there are still in the closet and afraid of their own shadow.
    It SURE is my hair ! I have the receipt and the box it came in !

Silver Member
    Tri-Ess always allowed single members, as long as they were heterosexual. I was a member for a long time, and needless to say I have been single my whole life.

I don't know if they even have any chapters still left. I know the one in AZ was still a part of Tri-Ess a while ago.

I recall discussing these sorts of groups with friends, the Beaumont in particular. It was mentioned that they were for blue rinsers, a not very polite term for the old, staid and rusting. They just do not seem to have a place in this world any longer and probably will completely cease to exist within the next five to ten years.

Hi Teresa,
    If you could see my loco -- 7.25 inches gauge @ 4 Cwt & i sit on it to drive... oops ! we are off track .....

Liz,

One of the big drivers for me stepping out in public, for taking those first steps into a shop, for meeting others from our community was I didn't want to get to the end of my days, look back and say "I wish I'd.?..".

Having done those things has added immensely to my life's story. I'm so glad I took those steps. Memories I treasure.

Don't forget, age is just a number and while it can be too late, before that happens if you can still get about then grab those chances.
    Last edited by Helen_Highwater; 07-03-2020 at 09:00 AM.

I am a member of the Beaumont Society, and I find Angela VR's comment about blue ringers and oldies both grossly incorrect and equally insulting. Equally the comment about ceasing to exist in the next 5 to 10 years totally without foundation.
    Lizard, apart from theach main group you will find a number of sub groups and in particular a Train spoilers group. Just the thing for rail modellers.
    Rather than listen to those who only know of the society second hand, I suggest tat you contact your local regional organiser, sorry not allowed to put details on here. Joining the society was one of the best moves I ever made.