Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did you have any famous crossdressing inspirations when growing up?

Did you have any famous crossdressing inspirations when growing up?

As a young teen in the early 70's my most memorable crossdressing inspiration was the fabulous Jim Bailey when he appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show several times. His female impersonations of Judy Garland and Phyliss Diller were excellent but it was his transformations to Barbra Streisand and Peggy Lee that totally amazed me. The attention to detail, the extra long fingernails, thin eyebrows, and cleavage was extremely intriguing and I found it exciting that a male could convincingly present as female. Of course, the slight problem was when I was watching was not to look too interested to my parents.

Growing up in Latin America, there always was a great emphasis on machismo, even though there was a strong undercurrent of homosexuality.

I was too caught up trying to fit in to even think seriously about cross dressing seriously. I couldn’t let go of it until two years ago, even though I had been living in an LGBT friendly area for two decades.
    When haters hate, I celebrate!

hello Danielle,
    my mother was fond of watching Danny La Rue on the television; she thought he had lovely legs.
    stay healthy,
    luv J

Banned Read only
    The only regular character I can recall seeing is Flip Wilson and of course Geraldine Jones.
    Last edited by Robertacd; 07-02-2020 at 08:37 AM.

No, I don't think there was anyone that could have counted as inspiration.

I'm not sure if they were inspiring, but Tom Hanks and Peter Scolari's situation, in Bosom Buddies, was a dream of mine.

Hugs
    Meesh
    I'm not a woman trapped in a man's body.
    "not that there's anything wrong with that"-George Costanza
    I just feel pretty in pink

In my mid teens The Ugliest Girl in Town TV series premiered (1968). I remember it in that it featured someone crossdressing in a, more or less, normal everyday way, and seemingly passing. It was a comedy, so passing was in the eye of the beholder. It lasted two seasons and was later ranked by TV Guide as one of the 50 worst TV shows of all time, but there I was in front of our portable B&W kitchen TV watching it every week while the rest of my family watched TV in the living room. My mom had to wonder what had gotten into me (or maybe she knew).

ugliest girl in town.jpg

[edit] You can find the premiere episode in decent quality on YouTube along with three or four later episodes, in really poor resolution.
    Last edited by Taylor186; 07-01-2020 at 02:11 PM.

I never had any real life inspirations, but I was a huge comic geek growing up and I?m sure seeing that type of femininity and costumes and things like thigh high boots had some effect on my psyche at an early age.

Aspirations, no. However, I do recall watching old Looney Toons episodes where Bugs Bunny would wear women's clothing.

My mother's younger sister was a real fashionista. I always wanted to wear what she was wearing.
    Last edited by Sometimes Steffi; 07-03-2020 at 11:17 AM.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

I wouldn't say it was an inspiration but I loved watching Monty Python's Flying Circus when I was a kid. Still watching it.
    I'm a man. I like being a man. I also love wearing women's clothing. It's my way to show honor, respect and solidarity with them.

The only ones I knew were crossdressers on talk shows like Maury or Jerry Springer which actually were part of the reason I pushed away my crossdressing and stopped for nearly 20 years.

George Jetson. He was always pushing the HER button on the auto closet on purpose and getting to wear Jane's Dresses and Lingerie !

UNIBLAB 6.jpg

Silver Member
    I did not have any crossdressing influences that I recall, but Audrey Hepburn! I wanted to be like her!

Well, since I grew up being allowed to explore my femme side during those formative years, women on TV like
    Barbara Eden, Marlo Thomas, and Marsha Brady were very inspirational, but not crossdressers.
    Back then, CDers were something you seen at a adult man club that sold booze to older people or in the tabloids doing something seedy.
    So I never put 2 and 2 together that, what I was doing was crossdressing.
    I was being a girl like those I saw on television.
    Sure I knew I was a boy but it didn't mean I couldn't grow my hair long, wear jewelry, support my growing breasts and play act like a girl.
    During my last years in grade school, I could not wait to get home and curl my hair, take off those guy shirts and pants and dress up, and watch my fav girl shows.
    Last edited by candykowal; 07-10-2020 at 03:21 PM.

There was also Chris Morley. He was in that episode of "Too Close for Comfort" when Monroe fell in love with her (this is a looooong time ago lol). He was also in an episode of Vega$ and many other things too. I couldn't wait to see that episode in syndication lol.

I remember Entertainment Tonight did a segment of drag queens in the mid 80's - that almost blew my mind.

Christopher Morley in "Freebie and the Bean". I love the dress he wore.

Christopher Morley on some show called Partners in Crime. A rare thing back then, multiple amazing oufits, somewhat sympathetic character, not a murderer or murder victim.

I totally forgot, but Lauren Bacall taught me how to put on stockings.

I was watching a movie, and she pulled up her stockings by rolling them up and pulling them up her legs slowly.

I just had to try it!
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

I, too always envied Tom Hanks in Bosom Buddies. Not that it matters at all, but he did such a great job, I?ve wondered if he isn?t one of us. Same with Tony Curtis in Some Like It Hot. Dustin Hoffman in Tootsie. I loved his last comment in the movie.
    There was another movie where guys dressed up to get into a sorority. I would have done that while in college...but...

When I was very young female singers often performed in long gowns. It seemed fascinating and yet completely forbidden at the same time.
    I am a vessel of the goddess. Let me express my calling to a feminine life through nurturing love and relatedness.

Christopher Morley was hands down my favorite.

Karen Sue

Quote Originally Posted by NancySue View Post
    There was another movie where guys dressed up to get into a sorority
    'Sorority Boys' from 2002?
    People try to put us down
    Just because we get around

Banned Read only
    Danielle,
    I agree with Jacques , Danny La Rue made the impossible look possible .

Taylor,
    Just goes to show what a minority audience we were then , it still make you wonder how many were closeted and enjoying the show and how many were gievn the confidence to take their needs further .

Sorry, I had no real inspirations. I was always intrigued by the crossdressers who appeared on the Phil Donahue Show.
    - Robin

Because life is too short not to.

It's ironic ... I finally found a group of guys I fit in with. Funny how they all enjoy being one of the girls.

Wife: Why do you fold your panties? Me: I don't like my panties in a wad!