Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heels and flooring

Aspiring Member

Heels and flooring

Not sure if this should go here or in clothing.

I am thinking of getting laminate flooring for my kitchen, probably at the higher end of specs. Does anyone have experience of if or how heels damage such flooring? Thanks

Unless you have a dine-in kitchen, why would you want to wear high heels in there?

I imagine it would be ok if you must do it, but keep in mind that the average GG is lighter than the average guy.
    When haters hate, I celebrate!

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Patience View Post
    Unless you have a dine-in kitchen, why would you want to wear high heels in there?

I imagine it would be ok if you must do it, but keep in mind that the average GG is lighter than the average guy.
    Because that's what I wear at home. I am also thinking of getting the dining room done in the same flooring.

https://blog.century-tile.com/tag/hi...aminate-floor/
    "Yes, sadly, stiletto shoes can damage a laminate floor. But don't get weepy. There is a way to keep those laminate floors looking beautiful. Step number one is to remember to take off your favorite Manolos at the door."

if you think about the math a 200 pound person( i wish lol) wearing a 1/4 inch stiletto heel is is exerting approx 800 pounds per sq inch thats hard on any floor. Guess i failed math a 1/4 in heel would exert 3200 pounds on the tip 800 pounds would be for a 1/2 inch heel
    Last edited by caryn m; 07-06-2020 at 12:49 PM. Reason: bad math

About five years ago I tore up all of the carpet in the upper level of our spilt entry and put down hardwood oak flooring. It's the real deal and not laminate so it was very expensive. Consequently, I have imposed a no shoes rule for anyone entering myself included.

There is nothing like doing the work yourself instead of hiring it done to remind a person if the no heels rule. I remember every piece of carpet I pulled up and every cut I made on the table saw and my aching body every time I think about it. No problem keeping the heels off when I am the one who would have to repair it.

Banned Read only
    I can't imagine why you would be cooking in high heels to begin with, but whatever floats your boat...

I can't say I have ever seen any damage caused by heels on kitchen flooring. But then again GG's usually don't cook in heels...

Ask the vendor. He/she should know enough about the products they sell to answer basic durability questions. If they don't, stop shopping at Home Depot.
    Calling bigotry an "opinion" is like calling arsenic a "flavor".

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    We have every type of flooring possible in our home. I have heels from 4 to 5.5 inches, all spikes, and have never left a mark on the flooring, and that's after 15 years and many different pairs of heels.

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robertacd View Post
    I can't imagine why you would be cooking in high heels to begin with, but whatever floats your boat. But then again GG's usually don't cook in heels...
    What about June Cleaver? For those of us who only wear dresses and absolutely no pants I would not think of wearing anything other than a heel while cooking and baking. I wear a 3 1/2 inch heels that is not spiked. No problem spending an entire day in heels doing all the domestic chores. One should also consider, if you live in an upstairs apartment unit, your downstairs neighbor may get to hear those heels loud and clear on a hard floor.

I can't believe the number of people her thinking it is weird to wear heels in the kitchen... How else are you supposed to live out your 50s housewife and maid fantasies?

Hi Susan, You should be fine with a good quality floor. The only time I have seen damage is when the person wasn't watching the wear on the stilettos heels and the nail on the end had poked through and ruined the floor from walking on it so much. Sounds like a big job. Good luck.

Hi Susan,

If your heels have metal tips then yes there is a danger of damaging the floor should the heel tip develop a small spiked from catching it on a harder surface. If the tips are a poly type then you should be ok but as said before you need to watch out for the pin than holds the tip in place being exposed by wear.

If you do have metal tips then poly ones can be bought online and it's fairly easy to replace the metal ones.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

We built a house 2 years ago. We but in a product called Luxury Vinyl Tile. It looks exactly like hardwood but is crazy durable. Ours gets hours stiletto time every time my wife goes to work... no damage at all.
    The Pink Fog is thick with this one....

No, heels will not damage a laminate floor. And a big boooo to whoever thinks that wearing heels in the kitchen is strange; I regularly cook dinner in heels and everything else.
    Now, if you install the floor wearing heels we will want pictures of that!

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie47 View Post
    What about June Cleaver?
    A fictional character? What about her?

Growing up nobody ever wore shoes in the house, not my mother, not anyone.

To this day nobody wears shoes in my house.

My wife, son, and I take our shoes off as soon as possible after entering the house.

BTW: My kitchen floor is unfinished cement, so it has nothing to do with damaging the floor.

One more thing. About June Cleaver:

You know times were different when that show was on. They literally had a government agency that made sure television programs and even movies were "family friendly".

June Cleaver probably wore heals inside her house because the government censors thought showing a woman in stocking feet would be "too racy" for television.

Recall during the same time period The Dick Van Dyke Show. Dick and Mary Tyler Moore (his wife) had twin beds in their bedroom. Because it was considered "too racy for TV" to even give the impression that a married man and woman share a bed.
    Last edited by Robertacd; 07-01-2020 at 06:06 PM.

I have hardwood oak flooring all thru my home I rent I?ve never had a problem whatsoever walking on them no have heels caused any damage.

The only problem I?ve had is I?ve got ceramic tile in my bathroom and all one piece vinyl in kitchen they are both dangerous very slippery like ice.

You said they would be high quality I?m assuming they?re like mine really thick Bruce plank flooring. Good luck just watch for the ice lol

Aspiring Member
    Thanks people. I am not going to fit the flooring myself. And I live in a house so no one below. I might reduce the heel area gradually to see what happens or try a spike heel on an offcut. Can't imagine why anyone on this site would think it odd to cook and dine in heels.

Heck, I wear high heels in the garage working on various projects. I have a couple pairs of heels I keep around just for wearing in the shop.

I don't think it is weird to wear heels in the kitchen. What I think is weird is the people that question why someone would. The other day I was helping out in the kitchen, washing dishes, wearing bra and forms, bright red bodycon dress, pantyhose and white platform open toe pumps.

As for flooring it depends, talk to the company you are buying it from or call the manufacturer. I don't think it would be a problem with quality flooring.

I deserve an even bigger boo because I see no sense in wearing heels at home while cooking. Where I live in Minnesota it's the custom to remove ones shoes at the door. That likely goes back to our messy winter's and Scandinavian and German settlers who established that requirement. Leave those heels on where I live and it wouldn't end well. We even bring our slippers along with us when visiting family. That's the way I was brought up.

Star, were you brought up to wear dresses too? High heels in the kitchen should not be too hard to handle!

Heels would definitely damage the floor. Try wearing wegdes.

Some of us do most of our CDing at home. And it's good place to practice walking in heels before stepping out.

Sorry, I don't know about damage to flooring because my kitchen has linoleum that's a few decades old.
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Banned Read only
    I agree with Caryn , do the maths and the answer becomes obvious , sharper heels will mark a floor eventually . I fitted a real wood parquet flooring some years ago , we had a childminder who wore heeled boots I had to stop her wearing them as my floor was pitted with small dents , I had to sand it all down and revarnish to remove them .

Laminate floors can be dangerous with heels but I've discovered a yinyl floor which is non-slip it's great in my kitchen and I can wear any type of footwear , the dog loves it as she doesn't slip and slide on it .

We have solid oak flooring trough most of our home and never a heel dent. You can buy heels with a tiny metal tip that probably would damage most flooring. Heels with a larger rubber or plastic tip would likely be safe.