Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heels and flooring

Check with a magnet. Most spiky heels are made from steel. Then they are covered with vinyl. A soft rubber tip is added later--probably to reduce slips and falls.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Why do u think heels would damage your floors more than regular shoes, Susan?

All my spike heels, 4" and up, have rubber, replaceable tips. I'm VERY familiar with them.
    Because I was an inside closet dresser my 1st 10 years of dressing. I had no idea how to walk in heels back then. So, I destroyed the spike tips on all my heels in no time and I live in a house with all real oak floors!
    (Composite flooring is MUCH harder than natural wood floors, by the way.) Ordering a large bag of replacement tips, I learned how to replace them myself!

Unless your heels have metal bottoms? They won't do more damage than regular shoes!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Albuquerque, NM (SE of there in mountain foothills)
    One level and the stairs at my house have knotty pine floors. They have a few dents due to high heels or dropping something heavy. Only wear heels now that have larger surface area.

Pine is softwood and is therefore likely to mark. Laminates and hardwoods are safe.

And it may boggle the mind for some but you can have a pair of indoor only heels (think retro boudoir style)

Reality Check
    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Kelly View Post
    Ask the vendor. He/she should know enough about the products they sell to answer basic durability questions. If they don't, stop shopping at Home Depot.
    That is the correct answer. Ask the company that makes it. Not the salesman, the company. And ask about the guarantee. Does it cover damage from high heels.
    Krisi

I seem to recall reading that back when spike heels were in fashion ('40s? '50s?) they tore up alumin(i)um aircraft boarding stairs. Depending on the weight of the wearer and the slenderness of the heel, the pressure could be thousands of PSI. I think that they were forced to go with higher-strength alloys as a result.

So step gently.

Silver Member
    An added plus for heels, if desired .. high heel protectors. They can be found on line.

I have to giggle at all the responses.
    Sounds like "it depends" is the answer.
    In my mind, if you can afford it and like it, install it! Damn the high heels!...full speed ahead!
    If your worried and still want that feminine look and choice, place a few kitchen sink throw rugs in key spots and enjoy the kitchen.
    Your number #1 prority is feeling and being feminine while dressing in your cooking best...all else is secondary!
    Life is too short otherwise! OOOH...don't forget the apron...what I loved about June Cleaver was her aprons and cooking while wearing pearls!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferR771 View Post
    Check with a magnet. Most spiky heels are made from steel. Then they are covered with vinyl. A soft rubber tip is added later--probably to reduce slips and falls.
    I would disagree. I have many pairs of heels, and my wife even more yet. Most heels are plastic, with a steel rod up the center for strength, then the plastic tip fits into the heel like a nail. I have heel replacement tips for my shoes.

There are a few styles with solid steel stiletto heels, but they are obvious, extremely thin heels.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    U r correct, Pumped. Looking for spike heels without rubber tips these days is like looking for the Golden Fleece!

I challenge anyone to produce a pair of new spike heels with metal tips!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

We have laminate flooring in living room, hall and one bedroom and I walk on it all the time in stilletos without any damage, I do tend to leave heel imprints in the vinyl in the kitchen though.

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by candykowal View Post
    Your number #1 prority is feeling and being feminine while dressing in your cooking best...all else is secondary!
    Life is too short otherwise! OOOH...don't forget the apron...what I loved about June Cleaver was her aprons and cooking while wearing pearls!!!!
    Yes, of course, an apron to keep the dress from getting splatter from cooking or baking. I have several "retro" bibs style aprons which are available from ebay sellers. Offered in many sizes. Many very nice designs for the homemaker.

we have vynl on the kitchen floor. I have been working in the kitchen this evening in stilletos--leaves marks but come morning they have gone, seems we have self healing flooring.....

Quote Originally Posted by caryn m View Post
    if you think about the math a 200 pound person( i wish lol) wearing a 1/4 inch stiletto heel is is exerting approx 800 pounds per sq inch thats hard on any floor. Guess i failed math a 1/4 in heel would exert 3200 pounds on the tip 800 pounds would be for a 1/2 inch heel
    Since your weight gets distributed between the heel and the much larger ball of your foot (Which actually supports more of your weight, your math would be significantly wrong.

I find that stilettoes can damage my floors, scratch my chair legs and ladder my stockings.

I wear wedges, which give the same leg lift as modest heels, but are so much safer and comfortable, permitting all day wear.

Aspiring Member
    It always seems strange to me that people wear shoes indoors - especially if they wear the same shoes outside. Very unhygienic.
    (Although I guess a lot of CDs don't go out)

Just put new oak flooring down in the entire first floor of the house.

I've worn my modest heels, 2", and loved the sound of them clicking across the floor. I'll be doing more of that.

Of course I wore my apron and pearls!

Life is more fun in heels Genifer Teal's Avatar
    You will probably be okay as long as you're not intentionally trying to do damage. I suggest wearing the heels to the store to test out the material before purchasing. Some are better than others. To those who say take your heels off in the kitchen, what if you have them on not in the kitchen and need to get something from the kitchen to then be out of the kitchen again? Do you take them off walk in the kitchen leave the kitchen and put them back on? I think not. LOL