Thread: walking

walking

I've recently started to get up the nerve to go out wearing my leggings and women's biker style shorts. I actually biked to a local store in my leggings and went shopping while wearing them .

Well, that's not what I really wanted to discuss here. What I've been noticing is that I walk differently while wearing these clothes. My legs stay closer together. My strides feel like they may be shorter. Has anyone else noticed that clothing makes them walk differently?

Reality Check
    Clothing (except for very tight skirts) doesn't make me walk differently. Walking differently has to be a conscious effort.
    Krisi

Krisi is right, it's your subconscious that's making the changes. Nothing wrong in that, it just shows you have a femme side waiting to get out.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

Very valid points here but what will always be apparent is that men will never be able to walk like a GG simply because of the difference between hip structures. Sure we can get pretty close to a feminine walk but there is a very fine dividing line between walking acceptably and "mincing" along
    I started life a lost man now I am a found woman

I agree. Bobbi is right. I?ve watched many women walk, videos, practiced in front of a mirror, etc, but it?s not quite there, but, I, too notice I walk slightly differently when dressed.

Would think shoes come into it - hight of heel, position of ( high ) heel ( i have a pair of boots , the heel is a fair way in from the back of the foot making my walk -- er--- different ! ) also the hight of the heel must come into it.

Platinum Member
    Of course you should walk differently when en femme. I do. I just posted a comment about wearing heels. I believe women walk differently than men because of the construction of a heel with a shoe. Men seem to just "throw" their feet in front of them and take longer strides. A woman in heels tends to take shorter steps which is necessitated by the heel. There is an aspect of stability when bringing the heel of the foot down first. Narrow heel would be awkward for a long stride. When I see women actually running in a heel it looks totally unnatural. If you're lucky what you practice consciously will become a subconscious reality. Think of others mannerisms you have probably adopted. When sitting, even in legging rather than a dress, do you keep your knees together?

I know I don't walk with that male swagger any more and there's so much more that I've adopted now that I've accepted my position on the gender spectrum. I do not believe clothing has that large of a part in my mannerisms but they (clothes) do feel right and help me stay on an even keel.
    "you are a strange species and there are many out there;shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you ,you are at your best when things are at their worst" ...[ Starman]
    It may of course be a bit disturbing to sense that one is really not so firmly anchored to the gender one was born into.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    No. That's why I wear hi heels, 4" or higher. Because they definitely change my gait and posture to more fem!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Banned Read only
    "Upstate" NY USA.... Site of the first crash of the "Vin Fiz"
    I read that to have feminine gate when not wearing heels ... just imagine that you have a pair of high heels on and walk puttimg one foot in front of the other.

When you have high heels on you place your weight on the balls of your feet.
    Imagining that you have a pair of phantom heels on, you do much the same..
    Try it.. it works .

Reality Check
    I want to point out that women typically walk differently than men regardless of whether they are wearing heels or flats. I've known many women with a feminine walk who wore flats.

Some women don't have a feminine walk at all. I'm not sure why that is, probably the environment they grew up in.
    Krisi

Walking en femme is a part of being female. I definitely walk differently when I am all dresses up even in flats. This is intentional, well practiced and this manner of walking feels fantastic. My gait is shorter, more deliberate and I allow my hips to sway a lot more when dress in a pretty outfit. This must be practiced a lot so as not to be too excessive. It is so much a part of looking and being a girl.

I'd been always the kind of person that walks according tothe clothes.
    But living full time as I meant to be things are more than just walking.
    If you're a crossdresser I imagine your goal is to pass as a woman so some advices:
    As you already mentioned one good tip is to trying to keep your legs together, I mean your inner hips touching.
    You mentioned too make shorter steps,
    Another important feature is that men have the weight over the shoulders so they have to balance to keep on equilibrium, woman have the weight under the waist so they don't balance to the sides as men do. This is a real problem because we learn to walk in a unconcious way so our subconscious mind controls our walking and we don't control our subconscious.
    Women have a very different "structure" they have a key difference in a wider pelvis, a tilt sonthis automatically create a different walk, without mentioning that anatomically the proportion between the lower half is shorter than men.

I can keep mentioning the basic differences between men and woman that incid in the walking but this is not a thread about anatomy.

For all said is very difficult to achieve passing as a woman when walking so my advice is this keep doing what you naturally do (short steps and keep inner tight closer) and the rest, forget about and enjoy the time.
    What are the chances that you will read people's mind, or the chances you will meet known people and if you meet them is not your walking that will trait you...
    Good luck

Devi

Platinum Member
    nothing spontaneous. If I walk somewhat differently, its because I'm making a conscious effort to do so.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Oh to be an English Rose Jane G's Avatar
    I think heels are what make the biggest difference. When my wife is out walking on the high Moors she walks in a similar fashion to me. When I wear heels I change mode accordingly. Not something I think about much any more, but I did when I was younger.

Banned Read only
    Only when wearing a longish and tight skirt. Otherwise I am always trying to "walk like a lady" and you probably are too.

Unless you wear wearing heels, it's not the clothes, it's you wearing the clothes that makes you walk differently.

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    I was alone at work one night, 3 piece suit and all that goes with it. Walking down a long hall I thought of Tina and after a moment of thought I switched personas. It was harder to switch gaits without heels so it was good practice! Since then I've often switched in my head, but I am careful since Tina does have a decidedly feminine walk! Shoes help a lot, but the mind is necessary!

Reality Check
    If you're going to walk like a female but still live a normal life, you have to remember to turn it off in male mode. It could be very embarrassing to forget and do the female walk when in male mode.
    Krisi

Not automatically, I am working on my feminine walk.

I have been told by several people that I have the walk of a woman. One time I was walking with a lady at work as we were walking though the shop towards the parts counter the parts manger said you too have the same walk. The lady said nothing I just turned and walk off

Quote Originally Posted by Krisi View Post
    I want to point out that women typically walk differently than men regardless of whether they are wearing heels or flats. I've known many women with a feminine walk who wore flats.

Some women don't have a feminine walk at all. I'm not sure why that is, probably the environment they grew up in.
    Krisi,

My theory is that a good deal of female behavior is learned, passed on from Mom's to daughters, older sisters and from within their peer group. It's the "Brought up as a little princess" syndrome. gaining those mannerisms is a part of joining the girls club. True, hip shape makes a difference but as you say, some GG's just don't have that little sway in their walk that others do.

For us, getting it just right is one way of blending into the landscape and undoubtedly walking in heels can help the learning process but you still have to make that conscious effort at least in the early days to put all the jigsaw pieces in place to make it happen.

As no-one has posted this link for a while I'll do it. Move the sliders to alter the gender etc.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed