Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Heels?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Reality Check

Heels?

What's the deal with heels? I was reading another thread questioning whether high heels would damage flooring in the kitchen and several people commented that they cook wearing heels. Is it a fetish? A compulsion?

Women I know don't normally wear heels. They might wear heels to a wedding or funeral but not every day unless they are expected for work, and they certainly don't wear heels while cooking or doing housework. My wife doesn't own a pair of heels (I do though) and hasn't for years. Out in public, I rarely see women wearing heels. It's mostly sneakers or sandals. Once in a while, a pair of flats.

So why is wearing heels important to you? Does it make you feel more like a woman? Sexy? Come on, let's hear your reason.
    Krisi

The sound of heels on a floor is kinda sexy to me, and I like the look and feel in general. I actually have more of a thing for sexy boots than just heels in general. But, I suppose wearing heels frequently can help develop more feminine attributes, like more shapely legs and even force a more feminine walk.

It's simple, I like wearing heels.

I have about 200 pairs of shoes maybe twenty of them are flats that a hardly wear or only for work.

Flats feel like in walking up hill. I will wear them to the beach but even here if I'm wearing heels I just take them off when I get to the sand.

A close friend asked me this question a while ago. I told her simply I wear flats and jeans to work, even though they are women's, I think of them as guy clothes, and I only do that for work.

At work I'm up and down ladders every day. Walking on my tip toes is normal for me.

As far as what my friends (GGs) wear. That has little influence on me. Most of the time I'm the only one in a dress and heels in the daytime, nighttime is different.

I don't wear shoes around the house, there was a time that I did. Now I only put on makeup and shoes when I leave the house, but I'm out and live as Jean, so that's sometimes everyday.

As far as everyone here, as you know most are in the closet, so dressing at home is their only opportunity to wear their heels.

As far as women,

my Mom always wore a dress and heels. Mostly pumps with short heels. She didn't even own any pants or flats.

My wife , for the first twenty years she always wore heels, yes even working on the house, gardening, it didn't matter.

My best friend (GG) mostly wears flats during the day and heels if she goes out at night.

Yes some women are like my sister. She didn't have one dress or pair of heels when I cleaned out her place a little over a year ago, after she had passed away.

Just my 2 cents... I could be waaayyy off base.

I think it might go back to the generation we were raised in. From the posts I've read, most on this site are 55+, so that would put us in the era where much of the advertising and movies we saw growing up had women in heels. (yes, advertising and movies are VERY influential on young impressionable minds) So June Cleaver, Doris Day and the like, as we saw them, tended to be our role models (if you were a budding cross dresser back then), and when we saw them, they were dressed to the "nines". So for us, heels are a thing.
    Again just my take on things......
    The Pink Fog is thick with this one....

I?m early 30s and heels are my favourite! They look/feel feminine and really good! Chores are generally done in 4 or 5 inch heels as it?s a good chance to wear them for a while but so far only worn ballet flats outside the house!

I love heels because i think they really complete an outfit and make my legs look long and slender, they also make me feel far more confident. I dont go out while crossdressing unless im wearing heels, I think the trap a lot of people fall into with heels is they buy them solely based on look instead of really considering comfort and it kills their feet and makes people move away from them entirely. While heels will never really be as comfortable as other shoes, they dont have to be painful after a couple of minutes. You have to get to know your feet and what you can comfortably wear.

Even though I am partially out in the world, I probably still wear heels more at home than out. If I doing something like thrift shopping or grocery shopping while dressed, I am typically in flip flops in the summer and booties in the winter, they are more practical for those kind of tasks. I typically only wear the heels out for special events like GNO or attending drag shows. At home, sometimes it is about fetish, sometimes its about pulling together a cute outfit, other times is wearing a new pair of heels I don't have a chance soon to wear someplace specifically.

It is weird to have shoes on in my house since otherwise shoes are off in the house. Granted my in laws wear their shoes in our house (at their house they change into house shoes). Referring to TV shows for shoes in the house doesn't reflect the culture, as my take on it is that wearing shoes is more aesthetic than bare feet or socks so TV would rather the actors wear shoes in the house.
    Last edited by Asew; 07-02-2020 at 09:34 AM.

At the risk of committing an act of blasphemy here, i don't care for high heels. I prefer more practical footwear such as trainers (sneakers) or very low heeled ankle boots.
    My wife seldom, if ever, wears high-heeled footwear either.

Monica, i now identify as NB, but i don't wear grey hoodies, khaki trousers & white trainers. (I know you were only joking, haha)
    "The only way is onward. There is no turning back."

Banned Read only
    The vast majority of women today aren't interested in expressing gender stereotypes and, therefore, dress for comfort and convenience. Hence, t-shirts, jeans, leggings, sneakers, and other mostly androgynous gear. On the other hand, the crossdresser is often (to varying degrees) consumed with expressing gender stereotypes. Hence, hosiery, heels, lots of makeup, etc. Personally, I have been wearing t-shirts, jeans and sneakers my entire life as a guy. What would be the point of attempting to pass as a woman wearing clothes that is indistinguishable from what I have always worn?

Banned Read only
    In the future, everyone will be considered non-binary and will wear grey hoodies with khaki pants and white sneakers. No one will remember what all the fuss was about crossdressing.

Banned Read only
    Wow, Krisi! Did this question hit a nerve! Look how many responses! There must be something intensely "symbolic" about shoes.

My answer is the same as many others'. Granted, I don't wear heels that high, though I'd love to do so, because it would be fun. Also I had an incipient ingrown toenail on my right foot that makes it painful to wear high heels for very long. I have a huge collection of shoes in various heights accumulated over the years in an attempt to find what's comfortable. (I'm a size eleven, which makes the selection more restricted. I hate to think what some males face when they're a size twelve and larger.)

But in the end it's a balance between "femininity" and comfort. I admit I wear women's sandals around the house most of the time when I'm "dressed." I'd like to wear heels more of the time, but they can get uncomfortable after a while.

So what's so great about heels? As others have found, they make me "feel feminine." And what's the point of "cross"-dressing if it's not to "feel feminine"? Naturally we want to accentuate what "feels feminine" to us, even if it isn't what most women wear much of the time. Sure, scads of women sling on a T-shirt and jeans, "unisex" clothing for convenience, just as men do. But in formal contexts we accentuate our masculinity and femininity. No woman would be seen dead at the Oscars parading herself in sneakers. It's high heels for sure. Same with men. We don't wear neckties any more, much of the time, but we do at a formal event; even with a ceremonial sword, where military officers' uniform requires it.

I don't know which is worse: wearing high heels and a tight dress, or having to tote a clanking sword around the house! Anyway we don't have to go to those extremes. We don't have to wear a five-inch heel either. An inch or two is enough. When it come to shoes, there is a compromise between femininity and comfort. The "femininity" part comes from knowing we "look" more elegant, the shoe itself more delicate, the angle between foot and ankle straightened out, like a ballerina on her "points." The whole "different feel" of women's clothing (shoes included) compared with men's, reminds us of our enjoyment of "being women." And of course there's the way "heels" make us walk differently, all the way up to the hips, more the way a woman walks.

An excellent compromise is a woman's high-heeled open-toed sandal, which jacks up the heels in a stimulating way without painfully compressing the toes.

Quote Originally Posted by MonicaPVD View Post
    In the future, everyone will be considered non-binary and will wear grey hoodies with khaki pants and white sneakers. No one will remember what all the fuss was about crossdressing.
    Ain't gonna happen, Monica. And thank HEAVEN for that! Sure, there's been "convergence" between men's and women's clothing, but only on the grounds of convenience and utility. "Utility"--what an ugly, soulless word that is! Who wants to see men and women all alike in those dismal "unisex" uniforms worn in communist China?--the ultimate in "drab"! Where's the fun in that? Boring, BORING!

No, human nature doesn't change, unless it's deliberately suppressed. Men and women will continue to assert themselves in their gender-divergent ways; in fashion above all. Thank goodness! Fashions may change, but differences remain, even if they're annoying at times.

Forty years ago I couldn't wear earrings in public without being thought "weird." Today I can.

Twenty years ago or thereabouts I could wear denim cutoffs as a male without being thought weird. Later, gangs of females invaded that "fashion space" and tight shorts became "girly." So today as a male I wear cargo shorts. It was annoying to be pried out of a comfortable fashion space--was there anything "essentially feminine" about tight shorts that I enjoyed?--but at least cargo shorts have pockets I can use! What we lose on the swings we gain on the roundabouts.

In spite of these changes, differences remain. Could I wear a crop top, or one of those off-the shoulder tops, or women's jeans, without being seen as "feminine"? No--and I'm glad about it. Differences between the sexes remain, and always will--ever since the time "sexual reproduction" first emerged eons ago, the splitting of life into "male" and "female," the engine of change and progress that powered our evolution and advanced us to where we are today: imperfect and conflicted, but sentient and intelligent, conscious and aware, with a future ahead of us, where without the division into "male" and "female" we might still be nothing but germs floating in the mud of some primordial swamp.

So hey, "Vive la Difference!"
    Last edited by Marianne S; 07-03-2020 at 01:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marianne S View Post
    Wow, Krisi! Did this question hit a nerve! Look how many responses! There must be something intensely "symbolic" about shoes.

My answer is the same as many others'. Granted, I don't wear heels that high, though I'd love to do so, because it would be fun. Also I had an incipient ingrown toenail on my right foot that makes it painful to wear high heels for very long. I have a huge collection of shoes in various heights accumulated over the years in an attempt to find what's comfortable. (I'm a size eleven, which makes the selection more restricted. I hate to think what some males face when they're a size twelve and larger.)

But in the end it's a balance between "femininity" and comfort. I admit I wear women's sandals around the house most of the time when I'm "dressed." I'd like to wear heels more of the time, but they can get uncomfortable after a while.

So what's so great about heels? As others have found, they make me "feel feminine." And what's the point of "cross"-dressing if it's not to "feel feminine"? Naturally we want to accentuate what "feels feminine" to us, even if it isn't what most women wear much of the time. Sure, scads of women sling on a T-shirt and jeans, "unisex" clothing for convenience, just as men do. But in formal contexts we accentuate our masculinity and femininity. No woman would be seen dead at the Oscars parading herself in sneakers. It's high heels for sure. Same with men. We don't wear neckties any more, much of the time, but we do at a formal event; even with a ceremonial sword, where military officers' uniform requires it.

I don't know which is worse: wearing high heels and a tight dress, or having to tote a clanking sword around the house! Anyway we don't have to go to those extremes. We don't have to wear a five-inch heel either. An inch or two is enough. When it come to shoes, there is a compromise between femininity and comfort. The "femininity" part comes from knowing we "look" more elegant, the shoe itself more delicate, the angle between foot and ankle straightened out, like a ballerina on her "points." The whole "different feel" of women's clothing (shoes included) compared with men's, reminds us of our enjoyment of "being women." And of course there's the way "heels" make us walk differently, all the way up to the hips, more the way a woman walks.

An excellent compromise is a woman's high-heeled open-toed sandal, which jacks up the heels in a stimulating way without painfully compressing the toes.

Ain't gonna happen, Monica. And thank HEAVEN for that! Sure, there's been "convergence" between men's and women's clothing, but only on the grounds of convenience and utility. "Utility"--what an ugly, soulless word that is! Who wants to see men and women all alike in those dismal "unisex" uniforms worn in communist China?--the ultimate in "drab"! Where's the fun in that? Boring, BORING!

No, human nature doesn't change, unless it's deliberately suppressed. Men and women will continue to assert themselves in their gender-divergent ways; in fashion above all. Thank goodness! Fashions may change, but differences remain, even if they're annoying at times.

Forty years ago I couldn't wear earrings in public without being thought "weird." Today I can.

Twenty years ago or thereabouts I could wear denim cutoffs as a male without being thought weird. Later, gangs of females invaded that "fashion space" and tight shorts became "girly." So today as a male I wear cargo shorts. It was annoying to be pried out of a comfortable fashion space--was there anything "essentially feminine" about tight shorts that I enjoyed?--but at least cargo shorts have pockets I can use! What we lose on the swings we gain on the roundabouts.

In spite of these changes, differences remain. Could I wear a crop top, or one of those off-the shoulder tops, or women's jeans, without being seen as "feminine"? No--and I'm glad about it. Differences between the sexes remain, and always will--ever since the time "sexual reproduction" first emerged eons ago, the splitting of life into "male" and "female," the engine of change and progress that powered our evolution and advanced us to where we are today: imperfect and conflicted, but sentient and intelligent, conscious and aware, with a future ahead of us, where without the division into "male" and "female" we might still be nothing but germs floating in the mud of some primordial swamp.

So hey, "Vive la Difference!"
    dont know if this "fits In " the thread but,--- i am of Scottish background so can ( and do -- full evening outfit ) wear a kilt. Of late i have bought a ---- cargo kilt ! use it for hill walking the only thing is the weight, they are heavy ! Swords ? i carry a small knife in my sock top when in full evening dress though these days its blunted ( by law in U.K. ) might have been handy if someone refered to the kilt as a "skirt" !

Quote Originally Posted by Liz Jones View Post
    might have been handy if someone refered to the kilt as a "skirt" !
    Oh you're going straight to hell for that comment.

"She snuck up on me from behind. You'd think women would make more noise with those big high heels, but they don't, they've got this stealth thing going..."

Heels accentuate the legs and makes me feel more feminine but I don't need to wear them all of the time. In fact, as I type, I am taking a break from tidying up my study and wearing ballet flats because they are just so much more practical for this task.

I do love a high heel (3"-4") but I have problems with the my spine these days and so I need to be sensible otherwise I will pay for wearing my heels.
    My Flickr profile
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/142337725@N08/

I cook ( former employment in the M.N. ) the Sunday dinner as a change from machining metal,knocking nails in wood Ect. So Sunday afternoon i "dress" with heels Ect in the kitchen, do find i have a " normal" heel hight of around 2.5 to 3.00 inches above that its possable for a short while & for you youngsters -- i am 77 years old.....

Reality Check
    Thanks everybody for your replies. I have a couple pairs of 2 1/2" pumps that I wear occasionally around the house, but not when I go out. Why? Well at 5'9" tall, I'm taller than the average woman already and my goal when out is to pass as a woman. Being 2 1/2" taller isn't going to help with that. Also, as a size 12W, I think it's best not to call attention to my feet.

Some folks mentioned the 1950s TV shows, June Cleaver, etc. Well, that's not my thing, I'm living in the present. A lot has changed in seventy years. There was another mention of "looking sexy". At my age, "sexy" has left the building. I don't wear a silicone suit or mask so the best I can go for is "classy".

Obviously, we each have our reasons for doing what we do, I was just interested in people's reasons for wearing heels. Thanks everybody.
    Krisi

I love wearing heels, very sexy! En femme I go for tall heels with open toes. I look for women's shoes with short heels that can pass as unisex for guy mode.

Hi,
    reading this reminds me ---years ago Airlines banned stilleto shoes because they punched holes through the cabin floor of the aircraft........

Life is more fun in heels Genifer Teal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Liz Jones View Post
    Hi,
    reading this reminds me ---years ago Airlines banned stilleto shoes because they punched holes through the cabin floor of the aircraft........
    Guess that was back when they were made of paper mache and balsa wood. Lol only real issue I heard today is not on the safety chute. They could get caught.

went crazy for heels at first, higher and higher..... but they're really not good for the bod, gave them up..... JIJI Xx

Quote Originally Posted by MonicaPVD View Post
    Hahah! I wish the forum had ?reactions? like Facebook haha.... this is funny... and quite possibly true, although I doubt I will live to see it.

Heels are fun because they feel different and yes the clicking of the heels is fun... but for me, being already tall for a woman at 5?11?, it doesn?t really benefit me to wear them... the most I will do is a 2? wedge sandal or something but more often than not I stick with flat sandals.
    Kelly a.k.a. VS Fan

Heels important...yes. Feel more like a woman? Of course...who else wears them? Cowboys? Sexy? Yes. Fetish? Yes. Compulsion? Yes. Comfortable? At first. Cons...my golfing buddy is a podiatrist. He attributes his success and financial comfort to one thing...you guessed it...high heels. Years ago, he explained the damage prolonged wearing of high heels does to the toes, arches, Achilles? tendon, calf muscles and lower back. Really scary. My wife gave away all her high heels. It?s all about comfort now, thus flats, sandals, slippers, etc. 2? heels are the highest I own. Damage to wood floors...yes.

We love femininity and that may be different to each of us, based on our different environments. So the US media/advertisers has shown women wearing heels. So that is one reason. And legs look better in high heels than flats. And I like to show off my legs. But I don't wear them for more than a few hours and don't walk outside in them.
    Hugs, Ellen

I love wearing heels, as they are so sexy with sheer stockings and they seem to project my girls more.

But I don't want them to damage my wooden floors, so I generally wear wedges indoors. I get the lift and shape of a high heel, but much more comfort and a soft footprint. I can wear my wedges all day without stress.

It's tough to get old. I love heels and up until a few years ago I could wear them. Then suddenly, seemingly overnight, my ankles got weak and my balance is off so I can wear only flats lest I fall and break something. I dearly miss heels especially with a long pencil skirt.

Karen Sue