Thread: Life? Comedy or tragedy

Life? Comedy or tragedy

When I think of my life, especially the last few years on this journey. I think of it being written as a comedy.

This always brings up the scene from Breakfast at Tiffany's. My absolute favorite movie, I cry every time.

It is when Holly visits Sally Tomato at Sing Sing.

So in reference to a book if written about her life.

Holly says "certainly be good for some laughs"

Sally Tomato "No, no I don't think so, this is a book that would break the hart"

And then I think no, Sally's right.

It's all in how you look at it, for me, I still like to think of it as more of a comedy "Living Life as Jean".

Platinum Member
    Its the only life you are going to have, so its best to find the humor in it. As a chronic depressive, I have tried the alternative, and focused too often on the disappointments and despair. Clearly, if is better if you can get the joke.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Clearly, life is both! We all face our tragedies and our comedic episodes! We must take it all in stride and be who we are! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

It started out as a tragedy, then it became a complete joke. Now it's a satire.

Banned Read only
    Jean,
    Perhaps we could consider it a bitter/ sweet experience .

I feel so many of us go through the tragic part of what being TG means , to get through it we do need a great deal of humour , thank goodness I have my humour ! The important point is to get people to laugh with us not at us , I do enjoy living my life as Teresa .

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Life is what u make it! I think me having as much with being Sherry at age 77 is proof!

This weekend I'm shooting a video with some of the sexiest 40 y/o women!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Silver Member
    Now, for me, life is full filling, a truly realized successful adventure, with more to come, hopefully.

Wherever there is a Sale or Macys, but mostly Baltimore MD
    Have to agree with Jenny, Life is amazing, both the Good and the Bad. I understand home the tragedy in life helped me become who i am today. The comedy is just and added bonus. Life is an adventure.
    Kelly DeWinter
    Find Kelly at:
    Kelly's Blog
    Flicker
    [COLOR=#2e8b57

Someone I worked with years ago, who I would not describe as a friend, said my life was like a Coen Bros movie. I agreed then, and still do now.

Jean, I know you well enough, your life is definitely a comedy, a pretty interesting one at that.
    Crissy

Tragedy? Living a life as who I'm not - yes.
    comedy? Sometimes. If you can't find a way to laugh, the pain wins.

On my dark days (I'm prone to depression), I look at my life and think that I'm just "an extra" in my life's story - and not the star of it. Nothing - NOTHING is about me.

On my better (normal) days, I think of the places I've been, The things I've seen and/or done - and realize that my life is more like a travelogue. I'm there, but the real star - the important thing to focus on - is my surroundings and the events going on.

Funny thing - my wife keeps commenting on what an interesting life I've led, but it never seemed that way to me. I was just doing what needed to be done.
    I guess attitude has a lot to do with it, huh?

Like the sign says ... Live, Laugh, Love
    - Robin

Because life is too short not to.

It's ironic ... I finally found a group of guys I fit in with. Funny how they all enjoy being one of the girls.

Wife: Why do you fold your panties? Me: I don't like my panties in a wad!

Truth is you have to laugh at life or sometimes you feel like giving up.

Life is all about up and downs, comedy and tragedy and that is what makes us who we are. x

Aspiring Member
    My life is action romance comedy movie.

I had a friend that had a great dry wit and could always deliver good comic relief. In his eyes all our travails would be seen as sitcom sparklers- engendering sympathy even as we laugh!

The line between criticism [tragedy] and comedy is thin. But comedy is the tried and true first aid for ameliorating the minority stress we share with so many others. Then again, it is not at all certain that our persecutors will join in and laugh, losing a little more of their fear each time.

Drag humor is the model, but it seems to be more a kind of feisty self-mocking engagement with the view of the skeptic. Otherwise, we would just be ordinary people and the humor would be more generic- like a scene of either a man or woman or any gender variant in front of a mirror trying to comb their hair in a way that looks good to them. It is funny because we all share in that problem, rather than funny because it discharges tension that is rooted in stereotyping.
    We are all beautiful...!