Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are we gifted......?

Are we gifted......?

While working this morning(wood) i wondered--how many of us are"Gifted"in one way or another? By this i mean Artists,photographers,hand crafts ect--does seem that "dressing"&"handcrafts go hand in hand (sorry--could not resist! )your thoughts.........

I have a musical gift. I also have written lyrics and I've taken art classes. What I've learned in art has helped with applying makeup
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

I think it is quite a few, I don't think it has anything to do with dressing.

I have a problem with drawing stick people, but I enjoy building things. Currently I'm working on my wardrobe for DLV that is being held the week before halloween this year. This year my goal is to make most everything I wear, including my costume.

7 days and 6 nights, so it is a tall order, 7 dresses, costume, bikini and cover up. I don't need to do this, it's a challenge, something I enjoy doing. Yes I've already started.

I think everyone is talented in one way or another. It's part of what makes everyone different and interesting.

Hi Liz. There is some marginal evidence that transgender people may tend to be high performing people. But the data is really questionable and the conclusions sometimes have a feel that they were drawn from a process of selecting data that fit the hypothesis better than all the data taken as a whole. It happens a lot, especially in fields where the subject itself is pretty poorly defined. The real problem is finding the neurological networks in the brain that show this kind of neural sequence and cross linking actually occurs. But it certainly appears to work that way. Does it? Stay tuned.

As you point out though, very talented people sometimes appear to have what the muggles consider to have behavioral aberrations and sometimes don't fit well into general society. As transgender is a challenging form of behavior to express in the general public those people (many of us) need to use several extra tablespoons of innovation to move comfortably about in many social settings. The brain loves to solve problems; that is about all it does. As being trans is sometimes an identity that requires a lot of attention the brain develops a stronger ability in solving problems through brain plasticity which is, in many ways, the ability of the brain to rewire itself for specific purposes in problem solving. That, if it occurs in this situation, could spread to other creative pursuits and inspire more achievement in those areas. One important take away from this is that your sense of self which is a major part of your sense of identity occupies a pretty large portion of the brain's daily tasks. We all tend to do things in unique ways that can be thought of as fine tuning the more generalized approach to problem solving that we learn from others. So, it would stand to reason that if your identity requires you to be more inventive in performing and expressing that identity in actual actions, then you might develop extra talent in that and related areas.

All that said, this is mostly just hypothesis and theory and the neuroscience behind this actually happening in this way is a bit sketchy. But it is at least an interpretation and speculation that makes a good deal more sense than many other explanations that tend to be less than flattering to people who are different than what is considered the norm.

Banned Read only
    Liz,
    Maybe being TG helps lose lose our inhibitions .
    We're possibly of the same age group where being , " Arty farty !" was frowned on as being a more feminine attribute. My photography was accepted as I made a successful profession of it , I love my painting now which is lovely to share with people as Teresa , I'm really getting the best of both worlds .

Banned Read only
    Gifted? Some of us are, but I don't think it has anything to do with being CD/TG

As I don't have an artistic bone in my body. I have always wanted to be an artist or musician.

Sure I can take a drawing class or learn how to play an instrument. But without any natural talent I will never be an artist or musician.

Believe me I have tried over and over again throughout my life.

We all have our gifts, but in colloquial parlance, “Gifted” usually refers to an extraordinary talent. What you seem to be asking is how many of us have an artistic, handy, or crafty. Probably a fair amount. More than the general population? Hard to say.

Teresa,
    77!

Artistic? No, but my dad commented the other day that I can fix anything and make it look easy. For example he was having carburetor problems with his mower. He had it apart a couple times, plus took it to a local shop and it still wasn't right. He called me and hauled it 120 miles to my place. I had looked up a parts drawing on the 'net and had a good idea what was wrong before he got here. I ripped it apart and replaced the suspect part and it ran great.

I also do most of my automotive repair including engine rebuilding and transmissions. I also do all of our home remodeling from rough carpentry to finish work, drywall and trim, plus build kitchen cabinets, wiring and plumbing.
    For the first time I hired something done. We are getting about 700 sqft of red oak flooring refinished. I could do it myself but don't want to!
    Last edited by Pumped; 07-15-2020 at 05:17 PM.

I have to express myself through music in the same way that I have to cross dress. I sing and accompany myself on guitar, ukulele and sometimes keyboards. I do this in private, much like I prefer to dress in private. My playing is pretty rudimentary, and that is all I need it to be to sing the song. I used to design and make furniture, but not primarily to sell, or even use, just to go through the process. I would wrap the items up and store them. If I still had access to a workshop I would still be doing this. I cannot make myself out.
    Last edited by Charlotte Haynes; 07-16-2020 at 04:09 AM.

Not really talents. I can fix things, or put together things. Just buy looking at the parts. No instructions required, and i can count cards.

As for my talents. I can make any thing on photoshop, and I'm not a graphic designer. Use it for my personal uses. I can sorta play the guitar, and drums. I was good enough at baseball. That if I cared. I think my road would be different today.

My family always thought of me as a Special Child.

I think many people are gifted (talented may be a better word) in different ways. Gardener's 7 kinds of intelligences has something for everyone, I think. Mine happens to be musical and logical. How all that relates to crossdressing, I don't know. There are also different kinds of learners as well. Maybe more of us are visual than others--something to think about.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I am musical, artistic, handy, and creative. And, I'm good enuff at those things to know I'm NOT "Gifted"!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

54 and still searching for my gift (think wife stuck it under the bed)
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

Not sure how gifted it makes me, but I can drink a fairly large amount of alcohol
    It may be my superpower

Reality Check
    The ability to put on a pair of fake boobs and a dress does not make one "gifted". I think the word "gifted" was invented by educators as a way to make children feel good about themselves.

Obviously some people seem naturally good at some things. Music for example or drawing, but I don't think that equates to "gifted".
    Krisi

I wouldn't exactly say gifted. My therapist did say once my feminine side is an extension of my artistic side.
    - Robin

Because life is too short not to.

It's ironic ... I finally found a group of guys I fit in with. Funny how they all enjoy being one of the girls.

Wife: Why do you fold your panties? Me: I don't like my panties in a wad!

Four electric guitars, a bass, keys and recording equipment are one hobby. A cabinet full of Nikon camera gear that I used to use for racing photography and submit to publications. Layered digital artwork on the computer, those are a few of my hobbies. None of them have ever made a cent but they provide an escape and a lot of satisfaction. I have written and recorded several songs that refer subtly to my crossdressing but they're on a page that reveals my full identity so I don't want to share the link at this time. Hopefully one of these days I will get past that fear and share some.

I really have no particular gift. I can draw a straight line with the aid of a ruler.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Teresa, I too am a successful, part time landscape photographer who mainly works in the panoramic formats and my photos have been used all over the world in advertising, educational publications, text books, etc. I have recently (last few years) pondered the possibility that the talent in that pursuit comes from a part of my female-like side of my identity. The male side is occupied far too much with facts and figures as "his" profession is in the high sciences dealing with the complexities of environment and environmental change processes. Hardly a motivation to produce emotionally sensitive photographs. I have wondered if it is the Gretchen side of my total identity is the source of seeing the landscapes and composing the photographs, while my more male-like side deals with operating the equipment used to make the photograph. In other words it works as a collaboration.

In reading the writings of Ansel Adams I found hints of that same kind of shift in the sense of self to be able to see the incredible scenes he photographed, but the photographic scientist in him was the one who knew how to bring out the best emotionality in his images. It is an interesting perspective that we both seem to have similar feelings along those lines. Unfortunately, it is something really hard to test or verify because it is not possible to have your head in an fMRI machine to track the neural pathways through your brain while you are composing and taking a photograph. So, I suspect it has to remain unproven, but it is an interesting feeling that may really have something to it.

Silver Member
    Some of we girls have great hobbies as described. Gifted? I think the fact that we dress is what makes us gifted.

Ladies, you are all (artistically) gifted--look at your makeup skills............

Over the years I have tried my hand at graphic arts, needlework. poetry and music. The way I have had to struggle at all of them convinces me that I am not the least bit gifted.
    I am a vessel of the goddess. Let me express my calling to a feminine life through nurturing love and relatedness.

Platinum Member
    I don't believe there is anyway to test your theory. Perhaps, if one feels comfortable bucking societal norms and expectations, it is just a matter of asserting oneself. Many years ago a woman's place in society was in the home. Now women are lawyers, doctors, engineers and entering many professions which were the exclusive domain of men. Gender equality works both ways.