Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: de stress

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

de stress

Do you ladies ever use crossdressing as a way to de stress? For a while i have been stressed due to work and with Covid going on my stress is a lot worse. When i start to dress i feel a weight lifted off my shoulders. and i was wondering if you all feel the same sometimes.
    I'm just a simple someone trying to figure life out.

Often, it's a way to escape all the stuff going on in my manly life
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

Teresa, the exact process of how this destressing process works is still a bit of a mystery. And obviously very complex. In the parts of the brain that produce emotion, mainly the amygdala, stress may be seen as a threat and therefore a stress response is provided to prepare the body and the brain for defensive action. That increases certain hormones produced in the brain that increase the fight or flight response system and those hormones get much of the brain really excited and very active.

But there is a counter process that is able to tune down all of that if, through more rational processes in the pre-frontal cortex, it is determined all the excitement is unwaranted. It can then cause the release of endorphins and other chemicals like serotonin that can counteract all the chaos the amygdala and other places are causing. But that response is evidence based and tied into our conscious perceptions which includes your sense of self and the clues to your identity that are received through the senses.

In one way of looking at it, distracting the brain with something that is pleasant can cause a release of endorphins that flood the brain and calm things down, at least for awhile. Thus showing a different view of yourself, in combination with a mountain of coping and adaptive neural networks established to provide you with a sense of gender identification and sensations can distract the brain from trying to figure out all the stressors and make sense of it all. The endorphin release provides a calming effect similar to the effect of something like Valium but instead of a drug it is a natural response of the brain to "tranquilize" things a bit so the brain can get a break before going back to work figuring things out with a more stable process. Well, that is one way to look at it. But the kinds of reactions we have are similar to listening to calming music, reading poetry, eating an ice cream cone or anything that can divert the brain's attention to something simpler and more pleasant than the chaos that is producing so much stress. The brain can handle a huge number of calculations in finding solutions to problems, but everybody has their own limit (your "breaking point") where continuing to work on the problem becomes a bit dangerous. So, we all develop adaptive behaviors that can reduce the stress and those more or less automatically kick in and produce a break in the problem solving process to a more pleasant functioning that push the problems into the "reserve bank" to be dealt with after the brain takes a refreshing bath in a flood of feel good chemicals.
    Last edited by GretchenM; 07-20-2020 at 09:02 AM.

Yes! I have an imense feeling of calm and peace when I am dressed, as I step away from my day to day stresses.

I have struggled during Covid with little opportunity plus the promise to my Wife not to (which i broke once but owned up)

the work stress has been peaking lately along with some home stress and I almost reached breaking point on Sunday, I so wish I could escape to Jemima at the moment!

Banned Read only
    I have to agree with Gretchen's (#27) analysis. There are many processes to destressing. Cross dressing is one of them. Cross dressing itself can be stressful if one is barred from cross dressing. When I was new to this "stress" game (work and war) it became very stressful to find the time to destress. To me it was akin to a dog chasing its tail. I usually named it on this site; "catching crumbs of time. That usually meant waiting for Sunday morning while my wife took the kids to Sunday school. Then I had maybe two hours to engage in cross dressing. Needless to say my needs were not satisfied. Other thoughts were stress inducing; war related PTSD. I think part of the problem with stress is finding some activity to divert attention from the stress inducing factors. I find it a little unsettling that society views stopping off at a bar after work and having one too many as a more acceptable method to destress than slipping into some fem attire. Even smoking a joint rates higher than wearing a woman's nightgown or snuggling PJ's.

I have been through ten years of counseling learning how to deal with war related stress. It has been helpful with dealing with other situations that arise in life. How do I know? I was not one of those people searching endlessly for stacks and stacks of toilet paper or hand sanitizer.

Christina,

I think many here find the same. It's that moment when you hear, "And breath". You've moved to the real you. Your chance to escape and just feel good about yourself.

Absolutely

That is a big yes from me also!!

I find it's a great stress relief.
    - Robin

Because life is too short not to.

It's ironic ... I finally found a group of guys I fit in with. Funny how they all enjoy being one of the girls.

Wife: Why do you fold your panties? Me: I don't like my panties in a wad!

YES! the most relaxing feelings and times I have.

Certainly. It is a great tool to de-stress and this effect is well documented in the scientific literature. It is viewed as either an escape from the bald reality of life during stressful times, but it is also, and more significantly, viewed as a connection with a different part of your identity than you usually utilize in such abundance. As others have said, it is part of connecting with the most significant part of your identity and leaving behind the piecemeal use of identity characteristics that is the norm during stressful times. In other words, your brain is using so much of itself at those times that conflicts between brain functions are weak or gone. In my view, if it works to help you get some relief from stress then, by all means, use it for that purpose because stress is damaging or even deadly. But keep in mind that it may be connecting with a deeper and more complete part of your sense of self, your identity, or who you are in a more complete picture of yourself. Either way, you win.

For me crossdressing is often a streight way to the other world - when I'm in my femmine look I don't think about my male life, about my worries and duties.

It's a yes here too. It always amazes me that the "hug" that a bra gives me is so calming.

Oh, Yes. My wife has had a terrible year, health wise, above and beyond the Covid. I have been in the principle care giver role. On some days when If I haven't been able to dress due to appointments or other issues she will say to me "go put on a skirt" because she knows it will mitigate my stress.
    I am a vessel of the goddess. Let me express my calling to a feminine life through nurturing love and relatedness.

AS most of you, crossdressing at home is the best destresser. Bra, breast forms, panties, top and skirt .
    Wanting something is a fantasy which on a long time period clouds your mind and makes you think you need it.

Rayleen

Quote Originally Posted by GretchenM View Post
    Certainly. It is a great tool to de-stress and this effect is well documented in the scientific literature. It is viewed as either an escape from the bald reality of life during stressful times, but it is also, and more significantly, viewed as a connection with a different part of your identity than you usually utilize in such abundance. As others have said, it is part of connecting with the most significant part of your identity and leaving behind the piecemeal use of identity characteristics that is the norm during stressful times. In other words, your brain is using so much of itself at those times that conflicts between brain functions are weak or gone. In my view, if it works to help you get some relief from stress then, by all means, use it for that purpose because stress is damaging or even deadly. But keep in mind that it may be connecting with a deeper and more complete part of your sense of self, your identity, or who you are in a more complete picture of yourself. Either way, you win.
    Despite the many challenges that we often have to deal with as crossdressers...unaccepting wives or SO's, being forced to live in that purgatory known as "DADT", being stigmatized by a society that doesn't "get" us (can you blame them? - often neither do we ), the financial drain to our wallets for having to maintain 2 wardrobes, lives lived in the shadows often accompanied by a good deal of self-loathing, I, too, find it to be a great stress reliever when the chips are down and the "real world" becomes a nasty and hostile place. Yes, it may be a "gift" with some strings attached, but I wouldn't have it any other way, and I am sure that if I were ever offered a pill that promised to "cure" me of my crossdressing desires once and for all, I most likely wouldn't take it.

I've always maintained that as "vices" go, crossdressing is a pretty benign one. Not as hazardous to one's health as smoking, excessive drinking (read: "alcoholism"), or drug abuse are, nor is it fattening. On the contrary, many of us find that it motivates us to keep our weight under control (or even shed some of those excess pounds) so that we can squeeze into that gorgeous dress that we are dying to try on, but is still just a tad too small at the moment . Too bad that many of our wives or SO's cannot be persuaded to see our crossdressing in the same way...

Do I need to breath? Ahhhh...yes. Maybe the world would be better off if....? I de-stress daily. It?s part of my existence...and I love it.

We all read about the stress problems caused from being isolated. While it?s not fun, dressing keeps my stress level to a minimum. I dress daily. My daily routine is automatic and seems so natural...slip on my panties, bra, forms, shorts, or a skort, a top, wash face, apply moisturizer and some makeup, maybe necklace, earrings, comb hair, a flit of perfume, then breakfast. When things change, sadly, I?ll have to make some adjustments, but I?ll cross that bridge later.

I can't add to the conversation about dressing destressing in a pandemic but I can vouch for DADT and a pandemic creating stress. Rumor has it that my wife is going to spend a couple days and nights at the lake home this week. You can place your here on what I will be doing to relieve my stress while she's gone.

I'm probably one of the biggest chickens on this forum when it comes to shopping but I wouldn't be surprised if I did some of that as well.

Banned Read only
    Christina,
    I read GretchenM's reply with interest , I agree there is the element of reducing stress but I wonder what happens in the brain to induce that . It's not just the matter of slipping on the clothes etc. it's what affect it has in the brain .

Some wives /partners might be more scathing by accusing us of escapism , of shunning responsibilities , even running away and hiding in our wigs , makeup and clothes .

Most of us were born with this trait and many realise very early on it's a powerful force which needs to be dealt with , if we don't deal with it it can lead to very destructive stress in some people eventually , I know I've been there and had the therapy for it .

I found the comfortable balance in my life so for me now reverting back to male mode is the stressful part .

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Maybe?

I tend to be easily distracted, absentminded, and even scatterbrained.

But, when I begin dressing? All other random thots seem to vanish!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I accept myself as is Gillian Gigs's Avatar
    People need distractions to take them away from the things that weight them down. Some drink, some do drugs, and then some of us step into an alternate world in which we crossdress. I know someone who is a part of a local theatre group. They love to have the opportunity to be someone else and play a role that they wouldn't normally get to play, or portray in this life. This kind of sounds like some CD'ers on this site.
    I like myself, regardless of the packaging that I may come in! It's what is on the inside of the package that counts!

Since working from Home since early March I dress every day. Make up 1-2 times a week. It definitely is a lowers stress. I now have a new norm of belong dressed not sure what will happen in September if we go back to office?

Dressing is so relaxing, just love it!

Definitely. Every Friday I would go for a drive before the covid, it was something to look forward to almost like a distraction of my male life. When I do get overly stressed my wife would suggest a fem drive. So yes I believe it is a good distraction and stress release.