Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is your smile sincere or just polite?

Silver Member

Is your smile sincere or just polite?

The eyes have it. In the photos forum, people will often praise a sincere smile, and rightly so, as it will also involve the smile of the eyes and light up the entire face! Do you agree? How would you describe your smile?

Banned Read only
    Well it depends on if I am actually smiling because I feel good or I am smiling just because I am getting my picture taken.

BTW: This is one of the reasons I hate getting my picture taken, I can't just turn it on and smile like everything is wonderful in my world.
    Last edited by Robertacd; 07-27-2020 at 03:53 PM.

Davina Katherine Davina Katherine's Avatar
    I just avoid smiling. My friends are always telling to me smile.
    Like Roberta says, if its one of those "smile!" for the camera smiles, it will look bad or smirky.

Banned Read only
    Jenny ,
    Without doubt it's true , as a photographer I had to work very hard at time to get someone to smile and hopefully naturally , I saw so many pictures spoiled because people just refused to smile . I never have a problem smiling , as a child I was told I looked miserable when I didn't smile .

Some of us just have RBF. We were born this way.
    Last edited by Aunt Kelly; 07-28-2020 at 09:38 AM.
    Calling bigotry an "opinion" is like calling arsenic a "flavor".

My sister was trying to get her middle school daughters to smile for a professional photographer, to no avail, nothing but fake "say cheese" smile. Then my sister, from behind the photographer's back, flashed the girls her bra. They broke into huge smiles and giggles. To this day, that was the best family picture taken, and a fun story to tell.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Mmmm, painted on?
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

My smiles on my pics (not avatar obvs) are fake, painted on ones. My natural smile is more of a smirk.

I smile, but sometimes it just doesn't take. My studio smile is almost like my real smile.
    Leslie Mary Shy
    Remember this:
    You do not have to be a man to love a woman, or be a woman to love women's clothes on her or yourself.

Banned Read only
    Emily ,
    I discovered no one is too old for a " Teddy bear " . My trick if I was taking a family portrait , I would use along cable release and pretend " Winnie the Pooh " had climbed up the tripod and was looking through the camera to take the pictures , it worked time and time again . From that if I split a family up , while taking the children I would ask one of the parents to look through the camera , while they were doing that I would gently wave a teddy bear over their heads , kids love me making fun of the parents and always got the results . I really could write a book when I think of the tricks I had to use in my thirty years .

I just said it in one of todays post, of course there our times when your picture is taken and a smile isn't necessary. Most of the time the camera comes out when your feeling good, having a good time, and special events. Your looking great feeling great why not smile.

My smile I would call posed most of the time.
    I laugh and smile all the time, but when I try to do it for the camera I feel awkward. That's why I have the wife take my photos now and I just do whatever and talk to her and she snaps them candidly. My smile is more natural that way and I'm happier with the results.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Platinum Member
    I think a genuine smile has to be spontaneous. Most of the time when someone tells me a joke, whether it is a good one or a bad one, I don't even crack a smile. They'll ask whether I thought it was funny or not because they thought I should have smiled. That is not how it works with me. I will tell them if I thought it was humorous or not, but a don't need to give out a good belly laugh to enjoy a good joke. A positive appreciation of something involves all the features of the face; lips, eyes, muscles.

Aunt Kelly (#5) Thanks for the link. I never heard that phrase. I'll have to remember it.

This thread reminds me of the seventeen years I spent as a part time racing photographer. Imagine a driver, owner, sponsors and family all lined up in front of a race car and trying to get the whole dozen or so that smile and make eye contact in victory lane.

Getting photo subjects to smile, even if it's just one crossdresser, is not my favorite task anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Kelly View Post
    Some of us just have RBF. We were born this way.
    Pretty funny! I do know someone like that.
    Crissy

Platinum Member
    If I smile, its usually sincere, provided there isn?t a camera involved.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Silver Member
    Roberta, you CAN turn it on with a nice smile. Just think, "Roberta loves hot pants." You'll smile!

Polite, sincere, smirk, or grin , Hey I'm happy when I have any kind of smile in my photos as opposed to the unhappy look I seem to have in 90% of my Danielle photos. I do find I am finding more natural smiles in frame captures from videos compared to posed photos.

I never smiled for pictures because I found that it always looked fake, so I stopped trying.
    I figured out that I shouldn't try to smile, but think of something pleasant and let the natural smile show through.
    When taking pictures of children, I try to do or say something unexpected to get a natural laugh out of the group being photographed. This often produces authentic smiles.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny22 View Post
    ....How would you describe your smile?
    I do agree the eyes help confirm the happiness in the smile. I would define my smile as "Playful Glee!"

Banned Read only
    It can be hard to summon up a truly natural smile. Telling people to "say cheese" doesn't work because it only involves the mouth. Some photographers have had better luck by telling people to say "Money" instead. The prospect of profit makes the face light up in delight.

I had never heard of "RBF" before. I assume it means what Acronymfinder says it means?

I believe that a genuine smile, especially with a laugh is heatwarming and good for the soul. Oftentimes these are just spontaneous, so I agree that it's hard to fake a genuine smile, and not all people are "smilers". Certain conditions or even dispostitions make it hard to summon a smile oftentimes, or even hardly ever. I find that it's especially rewarding if you can exchange sincere smiles with a person who rareley smiles at all. It's also been my observation that women smile a lot more than men, and for me, I am made at ease with a person who is smiling.

My smile is usually sincere, but at times can also be polite, and nothing makes my eyes smile more then my grandkids....
    Transtronaut

You must first find yourself before you can discover your future-

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Fran Moore View Post
    My smile is usually sincere, but at times can also be polite, and nothing makes my eyes smile more then my grandkids....
    You have a lovely smile in that photo. So did Candy Kowal before you, and many other members here.

My face isn't built for smiling... at least not the "showing-teeth" kind of smile.
    If I try, it comes out looking more like I'm grimacing in pain.

I think it just depends on my mood as to whether it is forced or not. Catch me when I am happy and I have a pretty good smile.
    Crissy