Thread: The Gas man cometh

The Gas man cometh

...to fit new smart meters to what I thought was going to be just the gas but turned out to be both gas and electric. Both meters are in the garage and I needed to tidy up a bit to make space for the engineer to work. While I was doing so I noticed on the floor what I thought at first was an old tool roll, the sort of thing you put chisels in. Picking it up I realised it was a waist shaper, one of two I'd put "somewhere safe" and then forgotten where that safe place was. In fact I can remember writing a post about being nervous that despite searching high and low through cupboards, wardrobes and under bed storage I couldn't for the life of me find them and was certain it'd be my SO who inadvertently stumbled across them.

So okay, there's one, the other should be close by and there in an old holdall sure enough was the second. Well that was a day made. Why I put them there goodness knows.

Shapers aren't as good as corsets for giving you that hourglass shape but for certain clothing items they do the trick and I'm glad to have them back in the wardrobe.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

Platinum Member
    I can remember a time when I stashed things in the darnedest places, sometimes in the spur of the moment...just to get them out of sight. Those things hastily hidden are the ones that seem to pop up unexpectedly and sometimes with embarrassing potential.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Banned Read only
    Helen,
    I recall a documentary about rogue tradesmen sometime ago , in one example one of them did get taped going through the wardrobe of a female customer . Maybe you should have left them where they were and set up a " Candid camera " , the results might have been very interesting , I'm sure they would have assumed the items belonged to your wife anyway .

It's great you did discover them for your own peace of mind .

Banned Read only
    I suppose he tore all the skirting boards before he found that waist shaper draped over the main? "Gee, no wonder I couldn't find it!"

I wonder what the carpenter will find when he comes!
    Last edited by Marianne S; 08-19-2020 at 03:32 PM.

This reminds me of a Flanders and Swann tune of the same name. Any internet search engine should be able to find it.

Where I live, the electric meter exchange is a five minute job. The technician(s) don't need access to your house as everything is outside. Any electronic clocks will need resetting as the hydro goes through the meter.

The same applies to the gas meter, but it's a little more involved: air must be purged from the gas pipes downstream of the meter.

It’s like finding a bag of sweets in a coat pocket, a little bit of delayed joy! However, I would be mortified to misplace my Rago shapers. I realise that they might not be the best solution for everybody but for an undetectable extra squeeze on a lean frame they are truly amazing.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by giuseppina View Post
    This reminds me of a Flanders and Swann tune of the same name.
    Precisely! It's right here:

Those two sang such great numbers. still fresh after sixty years, like their trademark Hippopotamus song:

Mud, Mud, glorious Mud,
    Nothing quite like it for cooling the blood!
    So follow me, follow,
    Down to the hollow,
    And there let us wallow
    In glorious Mud!

I have done that so many times. It's so much fun finding that cute skirt or bra or bla bla bla

Banned Read only
    Talking about the song I can recall a story about my late father .

He had cental heating installed and to save costs he offered to make good after , so he was placing the floorboards back and nailing them down when there was a smell of gas ! You guessed it he'd just missed the new central heating pipes but managed to nail the gas supply . The plumber walked out the front door and ten minute later he was back !! The words of the song really do ring true .