Thread: I admire her courage .

Banned Read only

I admire her courage .

The story relates to the printed photo story books , my daughter uses them as gifts round the family at Xmas time or birthdays . She gave me one for Xmas two years ago , I told her I was very grateful as I now live alone but found it increasingly difficult to view pictures of me in male mode . The story moves on to a couple of weeks ago when I invited my mother for a meal at my home , on that occasion to respect her wishes I was in male mode . I'd forgotten to remove a picture my daughter had given me as a Xmas gift of me as Teresa with my granddaughter sitting on my knee . My mother kept glancing over to the sideboard and eventually asked who was the person in the picture , I apologised for not putting away but then she picked it up and asked was it me , I confirmed it was then she said , " Oh my goodness you look like me !" So I smiled and said , " It's not surprising , you are my mum !" She then added in all honesty she would have walked passed me in the street not realising .

I mentioned this conversation to my daughter and thought no more of it until this week , as it was my mother's birthday . My daughter asked if I would be dropping in to see my mother to give her a card and her present because she also wanted to be there , because she had a present of a new photo album . It had pictures of me in it as Teresa when I spent Xmas day with my daughter and her family . However plans had to be altered as my sister and my wife wanted to take my mother out for a special treat but I wasn't invited so I dropped in earlier that morning to see her .

The next day my daughter dropped in to give granny her gifts but also present were my wife and sister , my wife has seen me once before and my sister hasn't seen me at all . According to the phone call after from my daugher , the room went very quite when the book was handed round , my sister didn't say very much but my wife told my daughter she should have asked granny's permission before having the book printed , she then said what will happen when granny's friends look at the book , with that she left with her granddaughter who she had agreed to look after for the rest of the day .

After two years I've moved on enough not for this to bother me but I had to admire my daughter's courage and her belief and acceptance of me , I really hope she doesn't suffer a terrible backlash from this . I agreed with my son in law , the book was a gift to my mother not my wife , they only went ahead with having the book printed after I told them of the incident with the picture on my sideboard .

My daughter and I agreed my wife's big problem is still wanting to be in control , my daughter thinks she will never accept my situation but she must stop interferring in other people's lives over this acceptance issue . I did reflect that my wife tried counselling once and brushed it aside and yet my daughter and I have had counselling to deal partly with her .
    Last edited by Teresa; 08-08-2020 at 07:07 AM.

Aspiring Member
    Teresa,
    Kudos to your daughter for her courage, caring and love. Perhaps her present will open a door for you, as your true self, to your mother.

My ex-wife was similar to your wife for sure.

Best wishes!

Great story! Allot of courage indeed. 😊

teresa, A wonderful outcome and a lovely example of how accepting ones relatives can be
    I started life a lost man now I am a found woman

You have a great daughter and a great mum

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I'm old and get confused easily, Teresa. U mention a "photo album" and a "printed story book". R these one and the same?

If so, is the book just photos or does in include dialog? How many copies did your daughter have printed?
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Banned Read only
    Sherry,
    Yes I do mean the same thing , sometimes with some fun text included . My daughter or son in law pick out pictures relevant to the recipient , so no two books will be the same normally only one copy will be printed .

DMichelle,
    I usually go for a meal every other Sunday to my mother's home with my sister so I'm hoping it will open the door to finally do it as Teresa . At 92 I feel I must respect her wishes if she refuses but at least there is no more hiding what I look like .

The picture shows what I was wearing in the photo book .

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

THREAD UPDATE

I visited my mother again today to have lunch with her , I explained my daughters reason for having the photo book printed and she fully understood . She also admiitted that she didn't realise it was me in the pictures and neither did my sister , only my wife had a problem with it but in her words , " she'll have to get over it , you're not doing anyone any harm , only being honest with people , you can't be expected to hide something like this ".

She's considering seeing me but needs a little more time , she really does amaze me for being so astute at 92 .
    Last edited by Teresa; 08-08-2020 at 12:48 PM.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I hope that was one of the photos on the album, Teresa? U look stunning!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Silver Member
    Your wife said those things?? Has she 'come around' to more acceptance of Teresa?

Banned Read only
    Sherry,
    Many thanks for your kind comment , no it wasn't one of the pictures but it was used in a newsletter with one of my social groups .

I accept how I look now is probably as good as it gets , I'm very happy and most people are OK with my appearance .

Jenny,
    She's trapped in her own opinion , I doubt she will lose face now and accept how I look . I do feel she has several problems to deal with .

Hi Teresa

Its nice to see your mother is trying to understand with a positive attitude.

Given her age I can see why it cant be easy for her.

Your daughter is obviously happy that you are being yourself.
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations