Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "Public Relations," We'll Call It

Life is more fun in heels Genifer Teal's Avatar
    Interesting comment to follow. My biggest issue (literally) is my height. I'm super tall and love heels. They had to be part of this. There is no way i can enter a room unnoticed.
    I decided early on they're going to know. I could be ok with that if their next thought was, she looks good. I've always strived to keep my look on point and appropriate (maybe not the heels). Cowering in the corner wasn't going to help my situation. I decided I had to push myself to walk into the room like I own it. Not overly so, just like I belonged there. I think what really helped is all the great people I've met and experiences I've had over the years. It makes the few bad experiences or people easier to brush off. If you are afraid it probably shows in your demeanor. Others will sense that and it will hurt your overall presence. It can be a chicken before the egg situation. You kind of have to fake some confidence before you see that it works and actually gain some confidence. I don't think there's any real tips for it other than positive experiences building on each other. Once you get your feet wet in the right way it's easier to jump all in. Until then the water can feel too cold to even attempt it.

Banned Read only
    100% agree. When we are nervous, lurking in the corners or freaking out we are sending out all kinds of mixed signals with our body language and eye contact. We are unwittingly telling others that something is not right in the Matrix. This draws undue attention to us. When you gain confidence, you almost become invisible. Just another woman who may be a little large or ackward or whatever, but just another woman no less. Carry on!

Quote Originally Posted by Sheren Kelly View Post
    Attitude is everything! You must believe in yourself if you want to go out to the world. Others can sense your insecurity and that gives them the opening to demean you.
    If you accept their judgements, then that is on you. I prefer to consider that their reaction to me reflects their insecurities and that allows me to stare them down.
    To restate what Char has said, you can only control your actions.
    As for safety, I stop being a lady once there is a physical threat.

Aspiring Member
    Here's a tip: Make friends with a Drag Queen. They can teach you everything you need to know about attitude, they literally are "Fearless"
    I've seen more than one stare down a bully and force them to back off.
    Last edited by Sheren Kelly; 09-16-2020 at 02:23 PM.
    Warmly,
    Sheren Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by Sheren Kelly View Post
    Attitude is everything! You must believe in yourself if you want to go out to the world. Others can sense your insecurity and that gives them the opening to demean you.
    If you accept their judgements, then that is on you. I prefer to consider that their reaction to me reflects their insecurities and that allows me to stare them down.
    To restate what Char has said, you can only control your actions.
    As for safety, I stop being a lady once there is a physical threat.
    This is a great post and is right on the money. This also applies to life in general. Thanks Sheren
    Crissy