Thread: About one month away from a first major milestone for me (re: hair)

About one month away from a first major milestone for me (re: hair)

As I?ve shared before, I?ve wanted to grow my hair long since I was a young child, but even after 45+ years have never gotten it past the collar. With my wife?s encouragement and some help w/ the Covid pandemic, my last hair cut was November of 2019. I can nearly get all of it into a low pony and if I can get one more month of growth, it will be there. I already have to pinch myself to believe it.

Many of you may laugh, but it?s a big deal to me. The best part is that even w/a full head of thick hair, most people can?t tell how long it is w/how it?s styled. However, my wife has told me...these days are soon to pass.

I currently just wear it swept back w/some product, even though it?s a chin length bob. Pony/hair band for workouts.

One day at a time.

A big step is coming in the next be when I go visit some customers...I will be pressed to cut, but I think I?ll be able to hold back...we?ll see. As of now, I?ve made it thru family and most friends...and it hasn?t been that bad.

As soon as school starts for the kids, I?ll start having fun...and will try some new things.

Thanks for letting me share.

Just one quick thing on hair, it's a fallacy to think that if we don't cut our hair we will all end up with it around our ankles at some point. Our hair both grows at its own rate and it naturally falls out at its own rate. At some point these two balance each other and at that point your hair will not grow any longer. I haven't had my hair cut this century and it is shoulder length. It doesn't get any longer, it doesn't get any shorter. The happy thing mind is that its spot on Goldilocks length not being too long to be difficult to manage and not being too short that it's excessively mannish.

Having said all of that I really hope that you get the hair that you want and that you get a lot of fun from having it 'just so'.

after 4 years of growing mine. Its about nipple length or so. I do get it trimmed a few times a year. I think if I didn't. It probably would be down to my waist.

I find at least with me. That length is ideal. Easy to take care of, and I can do all sorts of things with it.

Reality Check
    Wearing your own natural hair while presenting as a woman would be a really nice luxury. If it doesn't affect your career or social life, I say go for it. Of course long natural hair takes a lot of maintenance to look good. Daily washing, conditioners, drying, etc. If you can pull it off you're pretty lucky.
    Krisi

Quote Originally Posted by DTelia View Post
    As I?ve shared before, I?ve wanted to grow my hair long since I was a young child, but even after 45+ years have never gotten it past the collar. With my wife?s encouragement and some help w/ the Covid pandemic, my last hair cut was November of 2019. I can nearly get all of it into a low pony and if I can get one more month of growth, it will be there. I already have to pinch myself to believe it.

A big step is coming in the next be when I go visit some customers...I will be pressed to cut, but I think I?ll be able to hold back...we?ll see. As of now, I?ve made it thru family and most friends...and it hasn?t been that bad.
    I have been letting mine grow for about a year and 1/2. It is down to my shoulder blade. I got more comments and push back from family and close friends than any body. I work as a construction superintendent and am around customers, contractors and vendors all the time and get "0" reaction. Nobody really cares.

Let it grow and enjoy!

Molly

Quote Originally Posted by Suranne View Post
    Just one quick thing on hair, it's a fallacy to think that if we don't cut our hair we will all end up with it around our ankles at some point. Our hair both grows at its own rate and it naturally falls out at its own rate. At some point these two balance each other and at that point your hair will not grow any longer. I haven't had my hair cut this century and it is shoulder length. It doesn't get any longer, it doesn't get any shorter. The happy thing mind is that its spot on Goldilocks length not being too long to be difficult to manage and not being too short that it's excessively mannish.

Having said all of that I really hope that you get the hair that you want and that you get a lot of fun from having it 'just so'.
    There are things you can do to strengthen your hair so it doesn’t break off and will grow longer than it does without any special care. But this is mostly correct. The other fallacy is that if one grows their hair out long they’ll look like a shampoo commercial. The fact of the matter is that men generally have thinner hair than women, and men’s hairlines (even without any balding) is usually different than women’s. My own hair is basically to the small of my back, but I still use wigs for that reason.

Platinum Member
    [QUOTE=Krisi;4466427 Of course long natural hair takes a lot of maintenance to look good. Daily washing, conditioners, drying, etc. If you can pull it off you're pretty lucky.[/QUOTE]

Boy! That's the truth. My daughter grew her hair out down to the small of her back. Try to get ready in the morning for school with that. Ultimately she had it cut to donate for wig for cancer survivors. I haven't had my hair cut since before corona started. I'm looking real shaggy. With male pattern baldness there is no real end game other than fooling around as a retiree. No hair cut until corona is a distant memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Micki_Finn View Post
    The other fallacy is that if one grows their hair out long they?ll look like a shampoo commercial. The fact of the matter is that men generally have thinner hair than women, and men?s hairlines (even without any balding) is usually different than women?s. My own hair is basically to the small of my back, but I still use wigs for that reason.
    It really depends on the individual. I would agree that most men (especially as they get older, do not have the hair you describe...and even when men have a full head of hair, I agree that most have a hairline that is masculine or set in a way that isnt as flattering or soft around the face to deliver that feminine or even just attractive image.

But some others are blessed w/the locks, and hairline that is closer to a womans. I am blessed to be one of these...I realize how lucky/blessed I am, but its also been a bit of a curse, because Ive wanted to take advantage of it my entire life and haven?t.

Heres my hair last year in April before I cut it...natural color as well, with and without bows (which I also love). Its a lot longer than this now :-)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DTelia; 08-14-2020 at 11:36 AM.