Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: M.a.s.h.

Crossdressing is weird and funny to many people. It isn't because of TV shows either, it just is. MASH was a great show. Comedy with more intellect than most sitcoms.
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Klinger was not portrayed as a crossdresser.
    Klinger was portrayed as someone who wanted OUT of the Army. He would try practically anything to get discharged and this was one ploy he used.
    It became a joke of course as others would comment on his outfits but he was never presented as a crossdresser.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Silver Member Stephanie Julianna's Avatar
    It had no effect on us crossdressers. He was trying to get a section 8 to get kicked out of the Army. The rest of the characters eventually ignored his dresses and hats on Guard Duty or whatever he was doing. Col. Potter was willing to wait him out until he gave up trying and wearing the dresses. I don't think he ever stopped and Potter never gave in.

I never thought of Klinger as a crossdresser , gay , insane or anything . He seemed to be to be a good guy that just wanted out and he was an excellent medical assistant as well as administrator and a pretty fair shot at that .
    Everyone there knew he was doing this to get out . Everyone totally ignored what he was wearing ,unless he was being silly about it or sarcastic, and went on about their business. It was almost like a costume . Well it WAS a costume I guess .
    IG : Knightress Oxide

I didn't see Klinger having a detrimental effect on me wanting to crossdress even thought I just saw the re-runs or DVD box set. Even when Sydney Freedman first saw Klinger dressed was going to declare Klinger a transvesite and a homosexual for the Section 8 that would follow Klinger into civilian life. Klinger refused saying the was just crazy.

Klinger also tried to eat a Jeep, set himself on fire, glide out of camp while wearing a bathrobe and pink slippers among many attempts to get out of the army.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radar%27s_Report

I used to love MASH, not because of Klinger but because of the whole anti-war ethos of it, but I recently watched several episodes and was struck by how dated it was in its attitude to women. I certainly don?t think Klinger did us any favours but the whole show was quite exploitative of women, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by JennyMay View Post
    I used to love MASH, not because of Klinger but because of the whole anti-war ethos of it, but I recently watched several episodes and was struck by how dated it was in its attitude to women. I certainly don?t think Klinger did us any favours but the whole show was quite exploitative of women, I think.
    MASH was a product of its era. We should not judge it by today's standards. That is how it was, back then. We can learn from it, but we cannot change it.

There was a British film called "Just Like A Woman" that showed crossdressing in a positive light and even had a happy ending! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_l...an_(1992_film)

M.a.s.h.

Hi, thanks for that ,had a look on Youtube &found it ,--
    https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+julie+walters

Quote Originally Posted by Audrey34 View Post
    There was a British film called "Just Like A Woman" that showed crossdressing in a positive light and even had a happy ending! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_l...an_(1992_film)
    That film was really helpful to me.I had been ?out? to my wife for a while but watching that film (on VHS!) helped us talk about it and understand it better. Really dated now, however.

To answer the question . I don't think so.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I heard about Klinger and because of that made sure I didn't watch MASH for a long time until it was a non-issue.

Then if you also have seen Monty Python Flying Circus, they guys crossdressed for the sketches all the time. Of course today, that show would never be made. Just happen to be watching the Best of on Netflix.