I had a night out in drag over 20 years ago. I was staying with friends in another town, and one of them made me up and lent me her clothes. We hit a few pubs. There was no nervousness, it was just dressing up. I didn?t relate it to my regular crossdressing at all, really.
The first time out as Charlotte was nearly two years ago. I?d had a few too many shots of Tequila and my partner dared me to go out. I took a walk around the block. I passed a couple of people, but on the whole felt pretty confident. When I got back she said she wanted to go to the local shop (we?d just moved into the area btw) to buy some more alcohol. I suggested we go together. I got my wig torn off and had it thrown to the ground by a fellow shopper. I was ridiculed, threatened with violence, had to take refuge in the shop, while trying to refit my wig, wolf-whistled, and had to endure her hysterical laughter. All in about five minutes. The man in the shop was very sympathetic to my plight the next time I visited in my normal guise.