Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which bathroom

Reality Check
    It has been mentioned, but I want to point it out specifically:

If you are dressed as a woman and using the women's restroom, turn around and sit to do your business. People can see your feet under most stall doors.
    Krisi

Like most others have said, if you are en femme use the women's restrooms and yes sit, don't stand, it is a different feeling. I like the advice about using the restrooms at the larger store and if they have unisex restrooms use those, that's what I do.

If you are dressed and confident in your presentation use the ladies room.
    If you are a little hesitant then use the handicap/family if one is available.
    If you are neither then just use the mens room.

My philosophy was always that I'd rather risk the Ire of woman than the homophobia of a man.

I've had a few experiences in the ladies room with women and women with children and they have all been pleasant. But that's just me.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

One thing about using the ladies facilities is to not have the "I know I shouldn't be here" look. It's probably one of the most important situations where confidence matters. Act as normally as anyone else in there.

And yes, always sit down, and from experience, don't end up with your skirt tucked into the back of your knickers and walk out into a busy store.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

Aspiring Member
    True story, many years ago (probably around 30), I was at the international airport of my city at the start of a business trip, and needed to go; I was in male mode (I never went out in those days). I had to use a stall, so I sat down and did my business and happened to glance at the feet in the next stall. Nice lady-like feet in open-toe sandals with red polish on the toenails. I was suddenly hit by a wave of panic: oh heck, I've accidentally gone into the ladies'. After I was finished and pulled up my pants, I sat for a long while nervous as can be, looking through the crack in the door waiting for a lull in the washroom traffic to make a beeline for the exit. Finally there was a quiet moment and I flung open the stall door and got set to trot the heck out of there, when out of the corner of my eye, I spotted the urinals... I was in the correct washroom all along. I have no idea if my stall neighbour was a cis woman who went to the wrong one, or a member of our sisterhood. But it was a pretty amusing incident once I figured out I was in the right place after all.

As for the topic at hand, I use the washroom that corresponds to my presentation (male or female), but will use the single-use family one if there is one when presenting female. Haven't been out in ages though. In fact haven't dressed in ages. Long story...

Aspiring Member
    If you come to Yorkdale Mall in Toronto you can use the Family one, Uni sex one, Any Gender one, Female one, good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by JeanTG View Post
    True story, many years ago (probably around 30), I was at the international airport of my city at the start of a business trip, and needed to go; I was in male mode (I never went out in those days). I had to use a stall, so I sat down and did my business and happened to glance at the feet in the next stall. Nice lady-like feet in open-toe sandals with red polish on the toenails. I was suddenly hit by a wave of panic: oh heck, I've accidentally gone into the ladies'. After I was finished and pulled up my pants, I sat for a long while nervous as can be, looking through the crack in the door waiting for a lull in the washroom traffic to make a beeline for the exit. Finally there was a quiet moment and I flung open the stall door and got set to trot the heck out of there, when out of the corner of my eye, I spotted the urinals... I was in the correct washroom all along. I have no idea if my stall neighbour was a cis woman who went to the wrong one, or a member of our sisterhood. But it was a pretty amusing incident once I figured out I was in the right place after all.

As for the topic at hand, I use the washroom that corresponds to my presentation (male or female), but will use the single-use family one if there is one when presenting female. Haven't been out in ages though. In fact haven't dressed in ages. Long story...
    Great story, Jean. Hope you didn't miss your plane, though, what with the unexpected delay in exiting the (male) restroom as you were waiting for the coast to clear.

Additionally, if you use the ladies room Don't Linger.
    Do your business, wash your hands and leave. Don't stay there brushing your hair, touching up your makeup and such especially if you are concerned with how good your appearance is.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Thanks for all the input. Was in winners shopping (Canadian equivalent of TJ Max) when the need came. Was in girl mode so used the ladies. Another lady came in just as I got into the stall but she was quick and was gone when I finished. Had an eventful first time out. A bra fitting shopping for a purse. Through a drive thru and the bathroom. A great day

Ah-May-Lee
    I haven't been to a mall in over 30 years.

The night clubs I went to anyone could use any bathroom they wanted, so it didn't matter which was used.

Some bars and clubs i went to the bathrooms were dangerous to enter. It was safer to leave the bar and go against a dumpster in the street.

When I was a teen I had an androgynous style of dress, think glitter rock. One day in winter while walking the streets in NYC I had to go badly. I went to Washington park and sat on a bench near the bathroom just to see if anyone went in or out. For ten minutes no one went in or out so I went in the men's room. Inside it was like a party going on. Men were at every stall and some hanging about. Some guy called out to me and I left. I went to the lower east side and peed in an abandoned lot near the burnt out buildings, a lot safer than the bathroom. Sometimes it's safer not to use a bathroom at all.

Nowadays I live in the woods.
    Last edited by char GG; 08-22-2020 at 09:50 PM. Reason: There is a rule against this subject
    In solitude where we are least alone. Byron

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leslie Langford View Post
    Hope you didn't miss your plane, though, what with the unexpected delay in exiting the (male) restroom as you were waiting for the coast to clear.
    Thanks! Hah, no, I didn't miss my plane! I'm one of those types if I'm 10 minutes early, I consider that I'm late...

And today for the first time since April, I managed to get out to the supermarket and pick up something for supper, while dressed. Masks greatly reduce the required degree of effort to get ready as well as the anxiety when out and about! They're compulsory here and I had no qualms about complying today! Only a 10 minute drive though so I didn't get to use a WC... In fact with the pandemic it's become an issue. Many establishments reserve them for clients only and the supermarket I use, the one washroom (unisex) is now reserved for employees only. You can no longer duck into a restaurant to use the facilities unless you're very stealthy.

Reality Check
    Masks may reduce the anxiety of walking around town as a woman, but the sight of that strange woman walking out your front door, getting into your car and driving away won't be changed by a mask.
    Krisi

The Gents or the disabled. I'm quite strongly against men using the Ladies. If we get some grief from other users, so be it.

I, mostly use the family facilities, but on a couple occasions, I was desperate. As others have said...get in, wash your hands, and get out..no eye contact, makeup, or smile. Worked for me.

Just a quick tip some might find useful: if you are using the loo and do not think it prudent to fix yourself up by the sink afterwards, use a compact mirror to do all that while still on the throne.

Up here in Canada it is perfectly legal for us to use whichever toilet but sometimes you have to read the room.

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Krisi View Post
    Masks may reduce the anxiety of walking around town as a woman, but the sight of that strange woman walking out your front door, getting into your car and driving away won't be changed by a mask.
    Luckily, I live in a very rural area with my house set well back from the road and surrounded by forest, and our neighbour's as well. So I can generally get away quite stealthily, especially since I have an attached garage.

Most of my outings up to now have either been short enough that I didn't need to use the restroom or there was a gender neutral restroom in the premises. That's what I look for first.

I'll use the ladies' if there's nobody else there. I have used the men's too, preferably with no one else there.
    When haters hate, I celebrate!

Which bathroom?
    I looked in the search button for you and seen hundreds of posts on this topic so enjoy the reading and what year it was originally posted. The simple answer is; it is based on your country, state etc. Be careful and do your research.

Is it that way in Oregon too?

For me, using the women's restroom is one of the fun things of going out dressed.

The most nerve racking experience I have had was at a department store when I entered the bathroom only to realize there was a line. No one said anything, we all just stood and waited our turn.
    Last edited by char GG; 09-09-2020 at 04:15 AM. Reason: too much discussion of topic that's not allowed