Thread: Caught in a downpour !

Banned Read only

Caught in a downpour !

Recently my daughter telephoned to suggest we meet up and go shopping to use the gift vouchers I gave her last Xmas , so yesterday I picked her up from the grandmother who was going to look after the granddaughter and set off to the out of town store . Just as we left the car the heavens opened up and by the time we made the main entrance we were pretty well soaked . This is the first time I'd been caught out in this situation wearing a wig but I knew there was no going back now as I was with my daughter . I tried to run my fingers through my hair to shake off some of the water , I had no idea what my hair or makeup looked like , I glanced around at other shoppers and many of the women were in a similar state so we just set off the check out the racks . While my daughter was in the changing rooms I needed a natural break so nipped off to the Ladies toilets , my hair was still wet but looked OK so I gave it a gentle lift with my brush , my makeup was fine .
    We then had a nice chat over lunch and headed off for the children's department where I bought some clothes for my daughter to wrap as a birthday present for my granddaughter and then decided to add to the items to cover Xmas gifts .

We finally ended up in the shoe department where my daughter used her vouchers up on a pair of neat ankle boots , she also chose some slippers so I paid the outstanding balance , my daughter told me that she would treat them as an early Xmas present . What another lovely day it was but dare I also add a perfectly normal one spent with my wonderful daughter .

We often talk about the practicalities of wearing a wig but despite the soaking it worked fine , being out as a woman means just that come rain or shine .
    Last edited by Teresa; 08-29-2020 at 08:14 AM.

Teresa,

Gee I think I would have wanted to just head home. I have not had that happen to me while dressed up, but I can relate. I was touring Arlington National Cemetery in Washington DC years ago and was very far away from the car when it turned loose on us. That was in the days before you could check radar on a smart phone. I was soaked to the point of water sloshing in my shoes. Time to go home when that happens. Glad you dried out and made a go of it.

Sandi

In my only melissa outing for the year, I went to a movie theatre in February dressed and as I was getting out of the car, I heard the sound of a possible approaching storm and could have grabbed an umbrella but decided against it (big mistake). I made it to the cinema with no issues but when I got out, it was pouring rain and I had to get back to my car and the journey was not under cover.
    I grabbed some paper from the cinema and tried to hug the line of buildings and then found a back way to my car that was mostly under cover and then did a dash to my car.
    I had a light, long dress on and was wearing sandals/flats and had to take them off though as my feet were sliding around

The wife and I were shopping a few years ago and it had been raining lightly so we gave it no thought.
    Then as we arrived at the Mall it began to pour. We waited a bit and seeing no letup we decided to run for it. Well, we both got drenched and my wig looked like a drowned rat. Luckily that day I wore my human hair wig. When we got inside we headed for the ladies room and with a handful of paper towels proceeded to try to dry our hair. It helped but it was far from ideal. We weren't the only ones caught off guard so we didn't really look out of place. Eventually we dried out pretty much before we were ready to leave and the rain had let up.
    Just part of life I suppose, but now we carry umbrellas.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Exclamation I'm SHOCKED, Teresa!

That anyone who lives where it rains often would not carry at least one umbrella in their car!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

iBuy a Skoda superb L&k--they have an umbrella in each fronr door (lower models have one)--- only other car to have the two umbrellas ---Rolls Royce........

Banned Read only
    Sherry/Liz,
    We were caught out while crossing the car park after leaving the car , otherwise I do always carry an umbrella in the car and I'd also left my jacket with a hood in the car .

Silver Member
    In the winter and spring I always keep an umbrella (bumpershoot) in my car, just in case. But, "it never rains in sunny California", and we are in the midst of yet another drought, with serious brush fires (well over a million acres burned so far).

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by docrobbysherry View Post
    That anyone who lives where it rains often would not carry at least one umbrella in their car!
    LOL I live north of Seattle and don't even own an umbrella. People who live in a rainy climate just get used to it.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    My ex and I were going to move to Washington from SoCal, Roberta. So, we visited it in Jan. It wasn't the rain or snow that changed our minds.

After a few days of bleak, overcast weather, we decided we couldn't handle weeks of no sun!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Aspiring Member
    I've been out in the rain several times, but it was already raining when I left, so had an umbrella with me.
    However, there was one occasion when my wig did get a soaking because not only did the rain become torrential, but a strong wind got up, turning my umbrella inside out and it was really difficult to keep it the right way round and over my head at the same time. In the end I just closed my umbrella and ran for the nearest shelter about 50 yards away.
    Fortunately, there was nobody else around, so I was able to take off the wig, give it a good shake to get rid of much of the water, and put it back on again.
    I then headed home looking very bedraggled, but other people I subsequently passed on the way looked that way too, so I still blended in.

Banned Read only
    HollyGreene ,
    That was my problem there were too many people about to take it off and shake it , I'm not sure what reaction i would have got if I'd slipped it off in the Ladies toilets and held it in the hand dryer .

My thread wasn't about umbrellas but more to do with dealing with a wet wig when there was no where to run , at least I know it's now possible . My wig does have dark root detail so it probably helped .

I have never been caught in a downpour. But I imagine at some point its bound to happen.

Silver Member
    A good while back I was asked to come to a woman's home to explain some government events coming up. I got caught in the rain as I pulled up. I made a dash for the entrance. My jacket was wet and dripping water. The hostess asked me to take it off. I was wearing a thin woman's cashmere sweater under it and bra. I figured I could explain if she asked. Only to have her tell me that other women were there. We spent over an hour talking about things. There is no way that the women could miss my fem outfit. I wasn't trying to pass, but no one said anything.

Silver Member
    You could try wearing a plastic rain bonnet to keep the wig dry. I am probably showing my age with that suggestion, I haven't seen women wearing them in decades, but they do indeed work (my mom swore by them.) I have several.

I am with Robertacd, Living in the Great Pacific Northwest you just get used to the rain and overcast. No, you really do! LOL I always have an umbrella in the car, I just might not have it with me when I need it.

Banned Read only
    IKR, Brenda..

How can you spot a tourist in Seattle?

They're carrying an umbrella! :P

Banned Read only
    Just as a postscript
    I'm glad I have kept my old wig as I do wear that to walk the dog and I have been caught out with wind and rain but then I usaully wear my waterproof jacket with a hood . Having experienced that situation a few times I knew it's possible to wear a wet wig .

I’ve often wondered what my wig would look like soaking wet. Thanks for the update.

Banned Read only
    Cynthia,
    I can't say it's pretty sight but it's no worse than a GG caught out in the same way .

Teresa, you missed an opportunity! instead of a bit of brushing you could have done a quick WIG GLE instead lol
    I started life a lost man now I am a found woman

Teresa, Sounds like a great day with your daughter despite a little rain.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".