Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Future of crossdressing

Future of crossdressing

I didn?t want to hijack the ?heels? thread so to build off of RobertaCD?s comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Robertacd View Post
    Lots of people here are stuck in a past that never existed.

They imagine themselves as June Cleaver...
    Will future crossdressers as a majority, wear yoga pants with hoodies and trainers? Based on the environment of their youth?

As someone 15-20 years younger than the average age of the frequent posters here when I?m dressed I try to reflect the same style and trends of the demographic I?m in.

As with any question like this, it will always be difficult to apply anything to all crossdressers because there so many different reasons why as different members we are drawn to it.

For instance, I dress on an urge basis and to ignore that urge for any extended period of time does leave me feeling mentally fatigued, whereas someone who was dressing as a hobby or for gender dysphoria related reasons would likely take a different view.

Personally, I come from a society where women in leggings or jeans is a far more common sight on a day to day basis than those wearing skirts or dresses (although such clothing is still frequently seen in restaurants and other entertainment venues).

As a crossdresser, a skirt or dress and heels is part of what my Heather personality thrives on so I am almost always fully dolled up when in Heather mode even for relatively mundane activities like food shopping or even just sitting at home

You definitely have a great point. For me, going out = blending in. Around here, that means..no makeup, no hose, no heels, no dresses, face mask, etc. What one sees, is as you described..yoga pants, capris, tee shirts, dull colors, sandals or less, etc. once in a while, you might see a more dressed woman, but it?s rare. I mostly go for rides, in which I wear the things I love...hose, heels, skirts, makeup, etc. With COVID, I don?t see much change for a long time...at least around here.

Jenni, I think that your prediction is correct. Every culture makes distinctions between male and female assigned clothing, as the first and therefore primary signal of all the rest of the personal and cultural privileges and restraints that are assigned.

I think we can generalize and say that all crossdressers seek to occupy in one or more dimensions the 'other' half of the cultural division of privileges and restraints, and clothing is the first thing we reach for to signal that. If those we identify with are wearing drab as their signal of membership in the desire class, that is what we will do.

Of course, a fluffy skirt and satin lingerie have sensual benefits that coarse overalls don't have, but I think we reference even pleasures within the context of their social meaning. If the aspects of womanhood I want to express were always signaled by wearing scratchy wool pants, I'd wear them, of course, while leaving the males to make the most of their fluffy skirts while they suffered from the problems of being raised as boys. As a woman I would then lobby for less uncomfortable clothes!
    We are all beautiful...!

You assume all crossdressers dress in the fashion of their youth. Just as right now there will be some, and there will be others who keep up with modern fashion.

Banned Read only
    I must have missed the thread with the comment attributable to Robertacd. "Lots of people here are stuck in a past that never existed. They imagine themselves as June Cleaver." I am one of those who many times have used the term "June Cleaver." I do wonder about the "future of crossdressing." Once Karren Hutton had graced these pages with her pronouncements she would never wear pants. I am of the same stripe. I see absolutely no value for MYSELF in wearing anything that visually smacks of men's wear. That includes women's jeans or leggings, although I do admit I see many nice womanly bodies wearing them. Maybe that makes me an "ass man" as another thread was taking a pole. Perhaps the problem is GG's, who feel more comfortable doing day to day chores/life, want the comfort of men's wear but are stuck buying in the women's section. However, many women in my immediate family have bought men's attire in the guy section at Goodwill because those offerings have my functionality and comfort that pseudo men's wear sold in the women's section. For me, if I want to express my feminine side or needs or whatever compels me to don women's clothing it is going to be dress, heel and hosiery.

Yes, a guy will identify with his surroundings when it comes to selecting women's wear to feed his feminine needs. Once upon a time women wore on a daily basis what many women's wear only on Sundays, if at all. It is a past that did exist. That was my childhood. Women wore dresses on a daily basis, although not "party dresses." If I am going to go through the trouble of getting dolled up, it is going to be in my Sunday best. Perhaps when considering the "future of crossdressing" one has to throw in the concept many women wear guy clothes. My wife buys men's jeans and wears a lot of graphic tee shirts that come of the racks in the men's section. My granddaughter buys men's jeans and flannel shirts. Those lovely ladies may wear whatever they want because nobody is going to mistake who they are.

So, if you're a young guy raised by a mom wearing jeans and leggings, and, have sisters doing the same, you'll probably wear the same when you're fifty or sixty or seventy years old. Sad!

Quote Originally Posted by Micki_Finn View Post
    You assume all crossdressers dress in the fashion of their youth. Just as right now there will be some, and there will be others who keep up with modern fashion.
    This is more of a hypothesis based off of my time spent in and in this forum over the last decade. My only assumption lately is that you Micki take the most frank, catty and direct line for response regardless the topic and wouldn?t have it any other way.

We are all products of our environment. I know several GG?s my age who?s mothers told them regardless of how you dress outwardly there is no reason to not feel feminine and pretty with what you wear underneath, matching bra and panties can help you smile through out the day.

What is wrong with looking like June Cleaver, if you never leave the house?

We all dress for various reasons, and I do agree, if you leave the house and go shopping, or hang out with the girls you need to blend. But don't forget there is many, and possibly the majority, never leave their living room.

I would actually like it if crossdressing as we now know it would disappear, because people were free and empowered to express their gender in whatever way they wanted.
    I am a vessel of the goddess. Let me express my calling to a feminine life through nurturing love and relatedness.

Banned Read only
    Jenni,
    It depends if you're in the closet or not , so I'm to assume you mean being out in the RW .

Fashion styles tend to go in cycles , personally I will never wear hoodies and yoga trousers but then I'm the older generation .

After Covid 19 is finally behind us maybe we might see women want to be a little more feminine after being stuck behind a mask .

After a recent visit to an out of town store there doesn't appear to a shortage of dresses on display and cutomers wanting to buy them .

I'm more concerned about dressing appropriate , depending on the weather conditions and where I'm heading off , personally I will be wearing skirts for sometime to come because I feel more comfortable in them .

Quote Originally Posted by _jenni_ View Post
    I didn?t want to hijack the ?heels? thread so to build off of RobertaCD?s comment.

Will future crossdressers as a majority, wear yoga pants with hoodies and trainers? Based on the environment of their youth?

As someone 15-20 years younger than the average age of the frequent posters here when I?m dressed I try to reflect the same style and trends of the demographic I?m in.
    Yoga had not yet been invented in my "youth", much less "yoga pants". Nevertheless, I wear leggings and casual tops almost as my uniform. I dress as would most women my age, and as circumstances dictate. That means I'll be in a dress and heels on the rare occasions that those are appropriate. No, not a poodle skirt and crinolines, because no one my age wears such things today, even such things were common when we were younger.
    I guess what I'm saying is that if you're into this or that fantasy, fine. Enjoy yourself. I'm not, so I wear what is, more or less appropriate for the venue and my age.
    Calling bigotry an "opinion" is like calling arsenic a "flavor".

Aspiring Member
    I tend to wear what contemporary women wear. So that includes leggings, jeggings, skinny jeans, skirts, dresses etc. As far as dresses and skirts go, I favour classic cuts that have a more timeless quality to them. Having said that, I do have one dress that shouts 1980s, but is something I can still get away with.
    I guess what I wear fits in with my own demographic because I dress to blend in. So there's a good chance that young people today who want to blend in will wear what their contemporary women wear. Whether or not that is leggings and hoodies can't be predicted. Who knows which way fashions will turn.

Banned Read only
    I feel called out here...

Anyway I volunteer at organization that recently moved its public outreach location the local mall. I spend day after day watching GG's of all ages pass by our store front.

GG's at the mall dress in everything from tank top, sweatpants and flip-flops to jeans and t-shirts, to skirts and tops, to sundresses and other casual dresses.

You know what they don't dress like? June Cleaver, not even women in her age group dress like that any more.

So many of us want to be able to go out and be accepted, a lot of us even want to pass as a GG. Well I hate to tell you this but you're not going to pass as anything other than a guy in a dress if you go out in public looking like June Cleaver.

Just thought I would add I am a transwoman in my mid 50's who goes out in public daily and I buy most of my clothes at Torrid.
    Last edited by Robertacd; 08-30-2020 at 09:16 PM.

Future of crossdressing? Hard to say in my opinion. I think whatever clothing motivates young people, it'll be and can be anything. From a skirt and blouse to a pair of sweatpants. Just because our society has grown more casual doesn't mean the more formal attire will disappear completely. Some will dress to imitate their "fantasy girl" others will be inspired by a variety of people or fashions. For myself, we'll just wait and see, lol...

Just check r/crossdressing on reddit to see the future, as there are tons of young CDs there.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHiddenMe View Post
    Just check r/crossdressing on reddit to see the future, as there are tons of young CDs there.
    Right, I think it?s understood that there will always be a new generation.

Geography plays a large role too. Here in fly over country, business casual became church clothes in some places and church clothes are jeans and t?s in others. Everything else is athleisure.

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Robertacd View Post
    I feel called out here...

You know what they don't dress like? June Cleaver, not even women in her age group dress like that any more.
    Nah you just made a good point. And it got me thinking...will the next gen hang on to yoga pants the same way ?boomers? hang on to June Cleaver.

Wrong side of the pond here. I had to google Jean Cleaver to see what everyone was talking about. I don?t think the TV prog was ever shown over here.

Silver Member
    What's wrong with going out dressed like June Cleaver? I don't remember her dressing in a particularly outrageous manner. Vintage looking yes, certainly atypical today. Might draw some attention, but I don't think wearing a shirtwaist dress, pearls and heels would stop traffic or raise the ire of others around you.

Being a child of the 1980s, for me fashion died by the early 1990s. I prefer the skirts, dresses and hose adult women wore in the 1980s. The teenage girls all wore pants everyday by the late 1980s, but it was what the well dressed adult women (like my mom) wore that made an impression on me.

Reality Check
    I, for one, am not stuck in the past. I dress as a contemporary woman my age would. Perhaps I'm in the minority in this group or perhaps I'm in the silent minority in this group.

As long as we dress in the privacy of our own homes, we can wear anything that turns us on. Wedding dress, tutu, and yes, "vintage" clothing. If we venture out in public with the idea of being taken for a woman, it's best if we dress like a contemporary woman.

That doesn't mean dress like a slob. We can wear nice clothes, just like any other woman, but we have to dress appropriately for the time of day and the occasion. No ball gown and six inch heels to the grocery store or the mall.
    Krisi

Styles change and tastes change.
    What will be the clothing of choice in the future no one can say, but I hope that it's not yoga pants and hoodies. Then again that will not affect my style and choices in any way. I will still wear what I feel comfortable in and what allows me to express my femininity to the utmost.
    I just pray that sexy lingerie never loses out to bland, almost male underwear. I still don't understand why women wear some of the panty styles like Hanes and others that look like men's.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Younger people today dress differently that they did when I was their age to some extent.
    I grew up in West Texas where jeans and boots were the norm, for women, too. Today that is still a viable look, so as much as things change, they also remain the same.
    I also know several young people, 20's, that are huge fans of 'vintage' clothes harking back to the fifties.

Regardless of time, I believe we will continue to dress in ways that satisfy our specific and individual need to dress. Just in this group, there are as many reasons and incentives to dress as there are members of this forum and each is unique to that person.
    I am Me and Me is OK!

Shelby

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Vickie_CDTV View Post
    What's wrong with going out dressed like June Cleaver?
    Everything she wore is about 60 years out of style.

The real question is: How would June Cleaver dress today?

Take a look at the GG's with children next time you are at the grocery store and you will have your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by JennyMay View Post
    Wrong side of the pond here. I had to google Jean Cleaver
    Yeah, a fictional character from the old TV show "Leave it to Beaver" that makes old white people in the USA harken back to a time that never really existed. See also: Happy Days
    Last edited by Robertacd; 09-01-2020 at 08:42 AM.

My youth consisted of baggie jeans(JNCO) and graphic tees. I slowly migrated to more modern looking fitted jeans and v neck shirts.

I used to wear only jean mini skirts (as chloe)and now dont think they?re ery stylish anymore. Also something a bit longer is more flattering.

So for me I like dressing more modern/trendy and age appropriate.

So as others said. Depends on the individual.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    No offense to June cleaver intended, but she dressed pretty boring in her day!

I think any CD that limits them selves to one look, style, or figure is missing out!
    U may be more of a trans? They tend to prefer comfortable, bland, everyday fem wear!

I prefer trying every fem style I find attractive, interesting, or challenging! Like this wedding cake dress I modeled this weekend.

P1500125 (585x640).jpg
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I read on social media this morning that house dresses have become a new big thing with both older and younger women due to the COVID situation.
    I am a vessel of the goddess. Let me express my calling to a feminine life through nurturing love and relatedness.