Thread: Crossdresser Friendly AirBnB or VRBO

Crossdresser Friendly AirBnB or VRBO

Hi,

Does anyone know how to find out if a place is CD friendly? They can't discriminate but would like to know if this is something they silently are disgusted by or if they are accepting. No fun staying at a place with hidden negative feelings. I'd like to feel comfortable relaxing in the living room in a skirt or dressor or lounging by the pool in a string bikini bottom.

Thanks!
    -Allie

Think you should narrow it down --what country, in a town/countryside ect.

Banned Read only
    Allie,
    I agree with Liz , you'll have to narrow it down with some details .

The first question I'd ask is what is your presentation , male /female or are you NB ?

All I can say is I'm out everyday as Teresa , as far as I'm concerned there is no discimination , I could possibly get more negative feelings now going out as a guy , heaven forbid !

The other point to consider is don't look for special privileges you will be treated very much on what they see , you may feel on cloud 9 but others won't feel the same way .
    Last edited by Teresa; 08-31-2020 at 04:37 AM.

Aspiring Member
    I've done vrbo a few times and never met the owner in person. How would he know if u are a CD or not?

Platinum Member
    Same here. Never seen even a representative of the owner at the VRBO units we rented. Perhaps the OP is thinking of bed n breakfast establishments, where the owner is your host, serves meals and is living on site.

My guess is that you could simply ask at the time you are inquiring. Presumably this will most often be done by email.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Allie:

Here is what I have done when looking for a place to stay on AirBnB:

You have to register on the website in your legal name and provide proof of ID. So this already sets up a possible state of confusion to the resident owner. Also AirBnB has a very strict anti-discrimination policy that has recently been up dated and stiffened against discriminating against anyone.

I do not want to stay in a place where I might not be welcomed. So before booking, I contact the home owner and explain that I am TG. If they accept my booking I let them know that while at their home I might be presenting as male or female. I let them know ahead of time so that if they have a problem with this or have any neighbors that might be troubled by this please let me know and I will look elsewhere. So far I have only had trouble booking with one individual who rejected my booking after I explained my situation. She, I must say, clearly stated she only wanted to rent to a genetic females and stated so in her listing. I was not put off by this and did and continue to find friendly and understanding places.

I actually have some favorites now where the residence owners even let me know I will be sharing the home with another individual and let me know whether they are male or female to insure that there will be no surprises to me when I am there. Surprisingly, she actually prefers when I?m there to be presenting as female. We have had great chats together about me being TG and feel that everyone should be allowed to express themselves however they feel comfortable. So far, I guess whenever I have shared a place with another renter, I have been lucky that they have only ever seen me in my work attire or presenting as female so no real confusion has been created.

Hope this helps, Zoey
    Last edited by Zoeytgtx; 08-31-2020 at 10:27 AM.

Hi Allie

I have had the same experience as Zoey as I tell up front that I am a CD but always had a good response. I always feel that the owners appreciate the heads up about how you will dress. Depending on where you are travelling is the big question I am in Canada and when I travel in Canada or the UK I will look for BNB or Airbnb in the gay area of town which takes away a lot of headaches of whether you are accepted. Like the other girls said if you give us an idea where you are thinking of going we maybe able to suggest some places where we have stayed with no problems.

Stephanie

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by mylilsecret8 View Post
    Does anyone know how to find out if a place is CD friendly? They can't discriminate but would like to know if this is something they silently are disgusted by or if they are accepting.
    Other than checking reviews all you can do is ask...

You might want to check listings or ask for recommendations for friendly places to stay on websites, social media, etc. that cater to the LGBTQ+ community in the area you are visiting.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by mylilsecret8 View Post
    Hi,

Does anyone know how to find out if a place is CD friendly? They can't discriminate but would like to know if this is something they silently are disgusted by or if they are accepting. No fun staying at a place with hidden negative feelings. I'd like to feel comfortable relaxing in the living room in a skirt or dressor or lounging by the pool in a string bikini bottom.

Thanks!
    -Allie
    Money is money. The only thing a host cares about is you not trashing their property. Silent disgust, oh my! Does that itch?

First I found a relaxed outgoing elderly couple, good references on AirBnB.
    First day there, I asked if it was okay for me to dress as a female when I go out (I could dress in the rental car if required).
    They said no problems and the lady and I became friends real quick.
    We're both into decor, house renovations - I even went on the roof to remove a shade cloth for them (I was the youngest in the house).

Shade cloth and relaxing on their deck - sans wig
    IMG_20180408_071941.jpg
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

Zoey, I followed your advice and when I registered let them know I was gender fluid and that I sometimes dress in a mix of traditional male and female attire. I did have one Airbnb owner not respond but did have 2 accept. I decided to spit my time at the two in case one of them was a bad experience. It actually went VERY WELL and I wrote about my experience in this thread: https://www.crossdressers.com/forums...raveling-Femme

I never found a way to filter my searches to find places that specifically said they were CD or TG friendly or were hosted by the same.

Thanks very much Zoey!

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Thanks Liz, I was looking for in the US in Phoenix. My question was more in general. Not looking for a specific rental.

I've never booked through them, bit Purpleroofs listings often specifically state that the property is transgender friendly. Some of the listings are AirBnB style, some traditional BnBs and others full hotel properties. It would certainly take some of the guessing out of the process.

Quote Originally Posted by KimH View Post
    I've never booked through them, bit Purpleroofs listings often specifically state that the property is transgender friendly. Some of the listings are AirBnB style, some traditional BnBs and others full hotel properties. It would certainly take some of the guessing out of the process.
    Awesome, exactly what I was looking for!! Thanks Kim, I'll check out Purpleroofs for future travel.

Why would any rental be "friendly" or "unfriendly"? It's none of the owners business

Don't choose listings that specify Private Rooms and perhaps Entire Guest Suite if it is next to the owner's home. Choose Entire Apartment, Entire Home, etc. Then you'll be on your own, with your own key. No need to fear potentially uncooperative house mates. And many Airbnb listings have lock boxes, so you never really see the owner.
    Last edited by ReineD; 09-22-2020 at 04:34 PM.
    Reine

Thank you Kim for this link. I have also forwarded this link to my Tgirl friends. We have been plotting some time together at a B&B or AirB&B for a post Covid gathering. This will be a good resource. Back in 2019, we actually stayed at one of the B&Bs in Provincetown.
    Sarah Adams, mature girl from NH. My photos are on Flickr under vintage4sarah !

Aspiring Member
    I do the same as Reine, using the search tools set for Whole House, Whole Apartment, Separate Entry, Private Entry, etc. Rarely do I see the owners. When I get only a room, inside the living space of the owners, then I often see them. Why do that if I prefer the private entry situation? The cost of the interior room is usually less. When I stay in places like Washington DC or Colorado Springs, the interior rooms are all that I can afford.

I must not be explaining it correctly. My goal wasn't to find a place to stay and be alone. I get enough of that dressing at home. My goal was to find a place where I could dress femme around people who were accepting of it. My expectation wasn't that they would throw me a parade or gush about it, just that there wouldn't be an awkward vibe or they would avoid me.

For Airbnb's, you are often, but not always, staying in the owner's home and sharing common areas. I've found it to be hit or miss on reaction to owners when I show up wearing women's jeans or leggings, unisex top, etc. even when I tell them I often dress a bit on the feminine side. I tend to dress low key... very light or no makeup, nail polish, women's shorts, leggings, jeans and occasionally mid length jean skirt and bikini bottoms at pool. My avatar pic shows a typical outfit. I don't show up day 1 wearing a push up bra and showing cleavage, but likely will during my stay.

Since they aren't supposed to deny renters based on sexual identity, I fear some feel trapped and just put up and avoid me during my stay. Others are friendly, find it intriguing, even if it isn't their thing and make me feel welcome. So my question is, what tools are out there that might help to increase the odds of finding a place where a CD isn't shunned.
    Last edited by mylilsecret8; 09-23-2020 at 09:05 AM.

If Portland Oregon is a possible destination, I would suggest you check out Over the Rainbow B&B~
    Transtronaut

You must first find yourself before you can discover your future-

Aspiring Member
    Fran, Are they back in business? I did not find them today on AirBnB or VRBO.

They are colocated with a transformation service and several other services, including storage and lounge. Oregon has tough COVID restrictions on businesses. Does that limit what they can offer?