Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It's a cover-up

Aspiring Member
    Apart from covering the beard shadow, I guess a mask would help anyone with a very masculine jaw-line.
    Personally, I believe that I look unrecognisable in full makeup and wig, so it wouldn't make much difference in confidence to me.

The mask gives a sense of mystery, lol, good or bad, you decide.

For me, it's easier cross dressing with a mask in public not because I feel it gives it more privacy (which I suppose it does make it harder to be recognized), but mainly because it means I don't have to bother with makeup to cover the slight beard shadows I have (up close) even when clean shaven. I never liked doing makeup (nor am I much good at it lol).
    -Brandi

Follow me on my new Instagram to follow all my adventures as Brandi:
    Instagram: Brandi_sometimes

In the specific instance we are talking about I don?t see how one can have a false sense of security since the insecurities are mostly internal. You all know what it is like when you make those first steps out and I have seen your advice to take it slow. The self consciousness and nervousness are real. It is a lot like taking your first dive off the high board. But like the high board once you do it you see it is not so bad. The villagers usually don?t care but the newly venturing CDer has to discover that for themselves. If a mask allows them to do that then it is a security that isn?t false. Because there is no harm when it is no longer there. If after masks are no longer required that confidence didn?t take hold. Then at least some progress toward the CDers desire to go out dressed was made because they at least got to experience it. And if the thrill was such that they want to do it again they will find a way.

Aspiring Member
    Yes, a mask may add a level of confidence but thinking it completely hides the fact that you are a cross dresser reminds me of a cat hiding under a sofa while its tail sticks out.

Banned Read only
    I wouldn't be so sure that a small mask actually throws people off. Maybe the mask in combination with different hair does. My guess is that it just makes you a little more anonymous, blending easier into the crowd.

However, people who know you well will always recognize your eyes despite a mask, if they look at you directly and are paying attention, not to mention your particular posture, walking style, etc etc etc. If wearing a mask gives you confidence, that's great. Whatever helps you be you is a win.

I don?t think masks do anything to make you look more convincing. It?s the whole look that matters. I just find the mask likely to smudge my lipstick. I have got used to them though and just touch up my makeup a bit more often than usual.

If anything, wearing a mask in public has made me get better at doing my makeup, and now I can do a full face, that barely budges under it, including my lipstick. I’m out as non binary, so I’m not exactly worried about passing anymore, but I definitely feel like the anonymity gives me a little more confidence. Personally, I think I’ll be continuing to wear a mask for a long time after the pandemic is under control. I’m a bit of a germaphobe and an introvert, so I don’t go out much to begin with. I definitely feel a bit safer from germs wearing them, and now it seems like they are the new normal. People in Japan have been wearing masks in public for years, when they’re sick, and I absolutely appreciate that.

Probably the same type of confidence an automobile gives nose pickers or a cardboard box gives to a cat. People can still see but there is a sense of annonimity.

Banned Read only
    Helen,
    Personally I can't wait to see the back of mask wearing , I agree with the need but find it hard to wear glasses at times and have had to stop wearing my hearing aids . Obvioulsy I have no fears about being seen or recognised and my mask doesn't prevent anyone from reconising me . If your body shape doesn't work then it's more to do with a choice of suitable clothes and accessories , to a point that dictates how much upper and lower padding worn . Going out of your area doesn't remove any of those problems whether you wear a mask or not , people will still read you for what you appear as .

I would also ask to spare a thought for GGs who struggle with their body shape , mask or not they can't revert back to another gender , Cders are lucky , they can .
    Last edited by Teresa; 09-26-2020 at 09:55 AM.

I think that the important message here is that I am who I am and am proud of it. If someone does not like the way I dress it is not my problem. This gives me great confidence to go anywhere. However, I do not go out in my small town but go into the city where there is little chance of meeting an acquaintance. If I came face to face with one, I doubt that they would recognize me even with no mask. I look forward to when I can go out again with no mask and enjoy the beautiful feelings that I experience. I have been read many times by other women, but in all cases they have made very positive comments of acceptance and how attractive I looked. Just go out and enjoy yourself and don't let either confidence or masks be an issue. Just do it.