Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kind of always wanted to be one of the girls.

I NEVER go bare-legged! Kimberly A.'s Avatar

Kind of always wanted to be one of the girls.

Hey y'all! Yeah, I just had another random thought that I wanted to share with the class. LOL

Anyway growing up, (as I'm sure I've mentioned before), I was the only boy in my family. I have four sisters and three female cousins that I practically grew up with, which is probably part of what contributes to my strong feminine side. Now, when I would see my sisters or cousins all dressed up, getting ready to go to church and what have you, I was a bit envious of what they were wearing..... Their dresses, skirts, hose, shoes, whatever and I only WISHED that I could dress like them. Also when I was a kid, my mom, dad, older sister, younger sister and myself lived in an apartment in northeast Mississippi and our apartment was really nice and had huge walk-in closets. My older sister would, of course have friends over from time to time and they would often go into my older sister's bedroom and into her closet and have their little "girl talks". Please, y'all keep your minds out the gutter with that statement, we were KIDS at the time and had no idea what the birds and the bees were! ROFL..... Ooo, I would get SO upset that I wasn't included in the "girl talks"! LOL I was also a bit envious of that.

So yeah, all of this, plus a bit more made me want to be one of the girls.

Did any of you have any similar experiences growing up?
    My YouTube channel: Kimberly A.

Very similar. No siblings, but parents' closest friends usually had daughters so I grew up playing with them, and wanting to join in all the fun girl stuff like dressing up Barbies and talking about cute stuff, but wasn't allowed in to "girl" time. It sucked.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    For me, I've discovered both regular girl talk and boy talk to be similar. I find them both quite tedious and boring altho the subject matter is quite different.

Many men like to brag about doing this and that. The sports, car, construction of something conversation gets old after a short while. They don't talk about feelings or their personal interactions with people.

Women on the other hand, love to talk about other people. But, their conversations tend to be gossipy, speculative, and not about real, personal feelings either. And, they can go on and on about subjects that get boring for me, too.

Trans, on the other hand, r more likely to be open to discussing their feelings. And, when they discuss clothing issues it's more relevant than when women discuss their similar issues!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Mine was also similar. There were lots of girls about my age in the extended family and I always had a lot of female friends. Well, through college, anyway. I have not found it easy to make friends as an adult, especially with women.

I do remember lots of "girl time," though. It was probably easier, since they weren't siblings.

Dana

You Can Call Me Christy G
    I was without siblings growing up so that doesn't explain it. Truth be told I've always felt more comfortable with girls/women. I remember the third grade teacher who put me in the corner of the room surrounded by girls because I was talking so much. Well that didn't work, so she moved my desk next to hers and when that didn't work she had me sit on her lap. Yes, that did stop me from talking. But I was clearly her favorite. She took me to a museum one day.

This morning I attended a Zoom meeting with four women who've become dear friends over the years. We met through a 12 Step fellowship. Only one of them knows about my crossdressing, so I didn't share about that. I did share about being toward the feminine side of the gender continuum and asked if I could be one of the girls. Three said yes, one said its four sisters and one brother. That is fine with me, but I'm simply happy to acknowledge that this feminine side of who I am deserves attention. It doesn't need wearing women's lingerie, but then I enjoy that, so why not?

I can remember being 8 years old and wishing I was a girl, wear a leotard and go to ballet school. I can remember that like it was yesterday.
    Crissy

Growing up I was run out of the kitchen more than once. I?d rather chit chat with my aunts. As I got older I found it easier to connect with females much to the chagrin if my SO?s.

As a kid, I was just as comfortable with playing jump rope, hopscotch, cowboys-and-indians, or with toy trucks in the dirt.

I liked both "boy" stuff and "girl" stuff, and could play with either the boys or the girls just as easily.

But yes, I was envious of the nicer things that girls got to wear. Yes, I "borrowed" my sister's things from time to time, but even then it wasn't just about the clothes.
    I wished every day that I could have been born a girl.

I can remember when I was about 12 or 13 years old, it was a really cold winters day with snow on the ground. We were in the boys cloakroom at school and one of the boys said, “I’m glad I’m not a girl having to wear a skirt in this weather.” I didn’t, of course, say anything but I remember thinking that I ‘d love to be a girl even if it meant having cold legs!

I was an only child in an extended family full of women and very few males, few of which I even liked to be around. I often played with the girls at recess, but was never accepted as one of them. That did not settle well with me and it hurt, but it was still better than playing with the boys. Later when I would hang out with the guys it was OK, but I still preferred being with girls. Still do.

Did that contribute to a mixed identity? Probably, but there is likely more to that identity formation than just having lots of contact with females. As a biologist, I can see there is far more involved than just environment because a lot of males had lots of contact with females as children and yet grew up to be more stereotypical males rather than a person who can tolerate being with males for a little while but then gets bored with them and sees in themselves a much more female oriented basic configuration.

As it turns out, genetic predispositions we are born with have a big influence on who we become. The clothes were important back then because the clothes were attached to an identity we saw in girls that we could relate to. For me, now the clothes are not as important, but the identity association with the female is present no matter how I am dressed. Sexually I am male, through and through, but in terms of identity I am more female-like and that is an important part of where I live 99.5% of the time. I don't have to look like a woman to be female-like. Other people notice that prominently in my personality. But put on the clothes to fit the identity and all hell breaks loose with some. Humans can be so superficial! You can't wear the clothes if you are not sexually that way. Our identity is the primary part of who we are as people; but we place so much emphasis on what is between your legs and we can't even see what it actually is. I don't care what is between your legs; a relationship is primarily concerned with what is between your ears.

I grew up with 5 sisters and a brother. Although I don't know if that had a bearing on me crossdressing, I did have clothing choices to try. I was the oldest as well. However, I do think that the environment of 6 strong and confident woman (including my mom) had/has some effect on who I am today. I agree with Gretchen that there is some appreciation for the feminine side in personality and behaviour but so much less when clothes are added to the mix.

I have seven brothers. My mother was the only female in the house — except for me, of course. I guess I don’t have any excuse for crossdressing.

Platinum Member
    There were no girls within my immediate sphere for family and friends. I had a brother who is fifteen months older than I. My little sister was born when I was twelve. She was the first girl born into the family since 1881. All my cousins are boys. All my playmates were boys. I grew up in a 48 unit apartment building. There was one girl within my age group. We had a enough boys to field a baseball team. I no use for girls. It wasn't until junior high school (seventh grade) that I discovered girls, but there was no fixation on what they wore. I do believe there is some correlation between cross dressing and the rise of hormones during puberty. With some hindsight I'd say the girls of my generation got the short end of the stick. What girls were engaged in all the time was totally boring. The societal assigned roles for girls and later age groups were totally oppressive for the mind. If I looked at it in that manner why would any guy ever want to be a girl or emulate a girl/woman?

As a small child I played a lot with the neighbor girl who was slightly younger.
    Seems I always related more to the girls in the area. Even later on, though part of the "gang" (not like today) I never felt really at home. I was always more at ease around the girls and the women friends of my mother.
    It's always been that way. Funny that I always felt a bit on the outside even with male friends and teams I played on. Yet when I found a support group and was around people I knew were male but were dressed like me I just opened up and felt at home. I just always feel that I fit in better as a female and am more comfortable around women.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Reality Check
    I grew up with only brothers. My mother was the only female in the family.

I don't recall ever wanting to be a girl or even wanting to play with girls when I was young.
    Krisi

That's how I (finally) came to understand my TG nature. Well into therapy, after I had been recounting many similar examples, and wondered aloud why I was so affected by some, she said something akin to "Well duh... You're identifying with them." I can not adequately explain what that moment of realization was like, but it's fair to say that that was the moment I KNEW who i was.

I don't recall anything like that. I didn't have any sisters living at home through that age. My older sister was early out of the house and the youngest girl didn't show up until I was out of the house.
    That would have been cool.
    Although I do/did have a lot of girl cousins but we didn't see them except with family gatherings.

I must add that I enjoy your posts ...like myself I tend to crack myself up sometimes too.

I think part of what made me feel the way I do was the attention the girls got, in my family there was only my little brother and sister, and one aunt three years older then me who lived with us, mom & dad were divorced so he was out of the picture. We also spent time with my other aunt and her daughters, and a big fuss would be made over their hair & dresses... They were so pretty, but I was just a drab boy. I would also sneak in and play with my aunts & sister's Barbies at times (I had GI Joes) and so loved them... My aunt who lived with us was the first person I dressed up with (I guess you could say she was the only person I got dressed up with).
    ...Damsel in distress.
    Not exactly natural, Stunning none the less...

(As Girls Go by Suzanne Vega)

Aspiring Member
    When I was twelve tears of age, my family moved to a new town. We always socialized within the church, rarely elsewhere. In this town, the quite conservative church had seven girls my age but only one other boy, the pastor?s youngest son. The girls had their finery that I envied but this was a American small town on the prairie. Joining them en femme was not an option In that time and place. So I decided to have great fun in my own way. I became one sharply dressed guy. I found the best jackets and ties and shoes. I really looked goooood! It set a lifestyle that has not faded with age. I still look goooood in drab, best in my office, half a century later. In the closet, I tried on my sister?s things but she had little interest in nice clothes. Neither did Mum. I had to grow older and build my own female wardrobe to look nice en femme. Either way, femme or drab, I found the most fun comes when I own the situation and try to look really goooood!

Thank you, ladies for all of your replies!

There are now 18 replies to my original post, so I will just once again reply to all. LOL
    I have read through all of your replies and they're all very interesting stories and most if not all sort of explains how we all came to love CD'ing. LOL

I grew up in a family that did not believe in crossdressing or any of that, so I had no influence in my life until much later.
    Honestly I never really gave any thought at all to wearing women's clothes, not at all, until that one faithful day.... I had a dream I was playing Super Smash Brothers and chose the character Princess Peach. I got sucked into the tv. I was wearing Peach's princess outfit, had her body, hair, etc., and I felt really good. I loved it!
    From then on, I began to think about what it was like to be a princess, dressing up, going to royal parties, and basically living the princess lifestyle. Of course I knew the drawbacks too, such as being kidnapped, having to rule your kingdom, and alot of other things. But I found myself wishing I was a princess too, as silly as this may seem, as most adult women do not desire to be a princess, and this is more of a little girl's dream. Still, it made me wish I could be a princess.
    Of course, being a princess led me to think about what it was like to be a girl and do the things they do. While I was not too interested in the things girls and women were into, I suddenly found myself wanting to look like them and wear what they wear, pretending to be 1 of them. Hence, I became a crossdresser, building up my wardrobe and loving it with every single piece of article of clothing I bought. This helps to make me feel like 1 of the girls.

Aspiring Member
    I can relate to and agree with your story, Rainbow Dash, but with one exception: most adult women do have a princess dream. Present it to them carefully and they will hesitate and reveal its existence, usually with a wistful smile and a mild hesitation. Many will even talk about it under the right circumstances. It is in their DNA like CDing is in ours. I have more close female relatives than I can Count using two digits. Yep, more than two hundred. They all have this dream. I first learned this from Dale Carnegie?s classic book. I have never yet found it to fail in any woman that I get to know.

I was an only child growing up. My parents were divorced and I lived with my mother. When I was younger and not able to be alone I had babysitters. All female. I used to they were beautiful and kind of wanted to dress like them. I would see old photos of them when they were my age or even in high school at their proms and thought to myself I would want to be them for a day or night. Looking back on it I guess the tv show I used to watched triggered those old memories of my babysitters.

Wow, RainbowDash, that's a very interesting story and interesting way of how you got into CD'ing?.. Of course I know Princess Peach, I've played a lot of Mario games. LOL

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

That's very cool, Christina.

Having been born between 2 sisters it just seemed like they got way more attention and had way more fun ! They had such cute dresses and nighties. Back in the day society just believed everyone was the same ! Now days things are a changing !
    Gender stereotypes by Eves-Rib on DeviantArt.jpg