Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you consider it to be a hobby?

I NEVER go bare-legged! Kimberly A.'s Avatar

Do you consider it to be a hobby?

Hey y'all!

Another GG friend of mine who knows I'm a CD'er asked me a while back what my hobbies are, I told her that I really don't have many..... I like doing outdoors stuff, when I have the time and at the time, I really didn't have a good answer for her. Then, she called me about a week ago when I was fully dressed and ready to head out the door. During the conversation, I said that she asked me before what my hobbies were and I told her that crossdressing is a hobby..... Yes, I consider my dressing to be a hobby. It's not something that I MUST do, really but it is something that I very much enjoy doing and I love the challenge of trying makeup, trying to improve my makeup and clothing skills and going out in full femme.

So, do any of you consider CD'ing to be a hobby? Or is it so much a part of your life that you feel you must do it and you just simply can't stop even if you wanted to? Me, I could stop CD'ing if I wanted to and I know some of you will argue that and try to tell me that no, I wouldn't be able to stop..... But trust me, I could if I wanted to, but I don't want to.
    My YouTube channel: Kimberly A.

Platinum Member
    I suppose I could call it that, but my need to present as a woman seems to be intricately woven into my identity.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Definitely not a hobby here. It is something I had no choice in so I have embraced it. X

I NEVER go bare-legged! Kimberly A.'s Avatar
    I understand that, Kim. I've seen a post of yours when you said that you're transgender, so of course that's part of your identity. LOL
    My YouTube channel: Kimberly A.

For me it is more than a hobby. I've been doing it from the age of 7.

It is a strong emotional need but not to the extent of actually changing my body...at this time.

It’s more than a hobby for me. I’d say a more accurate description is it’s a “passion”. I don’t do it “professionally” or “full time”, but it’s still a defining part of who I am.

I didn't have a hard time quitting golfing, skiing, or ice skating when the became inconvenient to family life, but crossdressing keeps getting stronger and stronger.

Way back, whenever I went to Sears, I would immediately go to the tools section to see if there was anything that I needed or wanted. I used to go to Sears quite often until all the ones near me closed, but I can't remember the last time I've been in the tool department. I always head over to the ladies department or lingerie. The last thing I bought in Sears was yoga pants.

No, it's not just a hobby.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Yea pretty much a hobby for me
    the only limit that u set, is the one u set yourself.

Hmmm, I would have to say it goes a bit deeper than that for me. Hobby as defined is: "an activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure", so while that IS true, I would dress and live full time if my situation allowed for it, and the older I get the more I feel that way~
    Transtronaut

You must first find yourself before you can discover your future-

I don't think it's just a hobby for me, it's more like, a yearning. The learning the new makeup techniques and all that I'd call a hobby but the overall feeling like it's something I need to do ... not so much.

Platinum Member
    Definitely not a hobby. I do have life long hobbies. I have a collection of stamps. I've had an interest in collecting stamps since I mailed in 25 cents for a packet of stamps when I was a single digit kid. That's on the back burner. I took up military model building. I have about 70+ models to build, but, again on the back burner. It does not drive me nuts not to build or collect these things. On the other hand the draw to wear women's clothing is stronger. Maybe, getting stronger because of further limitations due to COVID. I don't know what motivated me to start wearing women's clothing when I was an early teenager. It does not make sense to choose a hobby that has produced so much angst over the years.

Kimberly, I wish you well on your journey. Tell us how it works out when you go on to marriage and having kids. It will not be as simple as collecting stamps or coins.

cross dressing is part of my being and not a hobby - but I keep thinking I might enjoy doing history reenactment as a female as a hobby

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie47 View Post
    It does not make sense to choose a hobby that has produced so much angst over the years.
    I guess you've never played golf, LOL.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Banned Read only
    Kimberly,
    I've finally come to accept it more of a hobby to some people , the first time I read the comment from a member I was annoyed and upset . In my circumstances the situation became so bad with my wife I nearly ended my life , aside from that also consider the pain , suffering and heartache some members go through in trying to come to terms with being a CDer or TG , hobbies do not affect a person's life in such a profound way .

Some people may think it's OK for it to be a hobby but I certainly would insult my wife and family by brushing it off as such .

I'm now living alone as Teresa after 40 + years of marriage and raising two kids and now with three grandchildren , I'm lucky to have their acceptance , none of this may not have happened if it was purely a hobby but if it was I wouldn't have done it and risked losing so much.

I will ask you take care not overdoing the hobby label , it could be very upsetting to some people .
    Last edited by Teresa; 09-19-2020 at 01:49 PM.

Silver Member
    Hobby? no! I'm TG. I dress 24/7 because I have to!

You Can Call Me Christy G
    Honestly, crossdressing would certainly be the most bizarre of potential hobbies. It is a rare man who decides out of the blue that he'd like to wear a woman's undergarments. As people tell their stories we hear over and over again about some life event that brought us to these behaviors. Given how much shame men here have experienced along the way, how much fear of the behavior being discovered, I'd say we do this out of a great need... whatever that may be for each of us. There are doubtless psychological roots to this and I imagine on very rare occasions genetic roots. I'll accept the comfort I feel when I'm wearing a brassiere and I'll certainly enjoy shopping for this or other pieces of lingerie... but having a non-shaming and even playful relationship to this desire doesn't make it a hobby. It goes much deeper than that.
    Last edited by Visitor; 09-19-2020 at 01:27 PM.
    We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time...
    T.S. Eliot Four Quartets

Banned Read only
    I used to call my crossdressing a hobby when I was in denial.

I wasn't sure what else to call it without admitting to myself I was TG.

Interesting thread. There are several aspects where one could easily see it as a hobby, especially someone from the outside looking in. It's something we enjoy peridically that relaxes us and de-stresses us. Sounds like a hobby. But it's fascinating to see how many of us sense it's more than that. Even during times when circumstances dictated I couldn't dress, (sometimes for years) the need and desire never once went away. And the angst and depression over repressing it just grew and grew and grew until it took me to some very dark and frankly dangerous states of mind. On the other hand, I have had several passionate hobbies that I've needed to step away from for a while. And when I thought of them the thought was "Wouldn't it be nice to do that again someday?" With dressing the thought is "I HAVE to find a way!" There is a subtle but very real difference. The hobbies are nice, the crossdressing, for whatever reason, is needed. At least for me.
    -Jen

Yes. For me it is a hobby. I love the clothing and shoes but I am a man in a dress. Never do makeup or wigs. Tried them a long time ago but didn’t do anything for me.
    Connie

It was until I pumped myself into a C cup!

I never considered it a hobby as such, in my early days of discovery, yes I was in drab for some days and dressed for others. But always it was a deep seated desire to dress. Time rolled by and became more more certain in what i wanted especially after finding answers to my many questions. When i finally realised the whole enormity of it all I felt a load had been taken off my shoulders. And thus a lovely journey began.
    Now of course it definately is not a hobby because dressing is now a normal everyday part of my life.
    I started life a lost man now I am a found woman

It isn't a job or a lifestyle for me, so it is probably a hobby.

When I was younger I would say this was a hobby. I used to come home from school and just sit in anything of my mothers I could find before I bought my own stuff and then watch tv or play games. But now this is my life style. I can't live without some sense of christina in my life. She is my ying to my yang.

It's not a hooby for me it's a lifestyle choice. I choose to wear what I do because I see no reason why I cannot/shouldnot and I feel totaly comfortable in women's clothes.

Is it a hobby for me? No more than breathing is.
    I can stop for a while, but the pressure builds up and I have to do it again.
    My (semi) DADT is like living on a mountain top. The air is thinner but I have adapted and I survive.