Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much do I share, and how do I do it?

How much do I share, and how do I do it?

There is a thread here about underdressing and I didn't want to hijack it but I am looking for some advice along those same lines.

I am in the exact same boat a MichaelM in the other thread, I came out to my Wife a few weeks ago, we haven't discussed boundaries yet, and she does not know I underdress (I do it in the morning prior to getting ready for work, it is something I have done for a couple years recently, something I also did a lot in the distant past).

My Wife and I are talking about US, more than we ever have, with good results so far, although most of that is non-crossdressing topics, more along the lines of life & relationship topics. Things about our pasts we never shared (I was 34, she was 26 when we met).

As for the crossdressing she knows I have a stash of clothing but hasn't asked any real questions about it, questions like about wigs, forms, pictures, makeup. I have stated I need to be all female and passable when I dress up, it's not just a clothes thing, I am assuming she realizes I have all the accoutrements needed to do that. That's fair isn't it?

She does acknowledge that I will be dressing up when away on work related travel and has said she is not especially happy about it but is OK with it as it is a part of me being me. I think one of the keys is letting her know why I want to do this as best as I can. My feelings and attraction to crossdressing go back 50 plus years, she knows this. We both know it is unrealistic to just simply ask me to stop (I have tried that myself, it never works?) and we know we will both have to compromise to keep each other happy (and married).

So, do I tell her about the underdressing? Do I somehow bring up all the other 'stuff'? Or keep is as kind of a DADT thing? I do think I need to tell her, again not really sure how. We are only in our third week of me being out, do I keep slowly peeling back the layers to reveal what has been hidden for so long? Or leave it buried?
    ...Damsel in distress.
    Not exactly natural, Stunning none the less...

(As Girls Go by Suzanne Vega)

Noooooooo DO NOT slowly reveal. She needs to know the total extent. If she’s constantly finding out new things, it’s going to feel like it’s constantly progressing to her, and she’ll never feel like she’s in stable ground. You need to lay it all out and tell her that this is what you do, but you don’t want to upset her, so if there’s anything that you do that bothers her, she can tell you and you either won’t do that anymore if it’s a hard limit, or else find a middle ground where you can both be happy.

If you don’t give her all the info, then you’re controlling how the rules are made instead of letting her be an equal participant in the rule making.

The morning I woke up and put on my wife's pantyhose 3 weeks into our marriage, a thing I thought I left behind when I would be married. That morning I sat on the bed wearing her pantyhose for an hour just thinking and for the first time I realized how real it was and it wasn't going anywhere. Just going though what seemed like a life time of confusion and guilt and I sure didn't want to hide this and live the rest of my life like a fugitive. I decided to roll the dice and come clean, but I married a traditional Italian girl and I knew I wasn't going to put money on the dice because the number I wanted wasnt going to hit. She came home from work that same night and I went all out, I told her everything from the first time wearing pantyhose to wearing my mothers and sisters things all the way to that same morning I put on her pantyhose. I was ready to watch her going crying back to her mother and tell her she married a freak. Instead she had the common "if I was gay","want to be a women" and "is the closest going to be enough for me". She wanted to see where it was going and give it a chance and strangly she didn't want me wearing her things an we went out shopping for a few things. Almost 40yrs married now, l believe the honesty was the most important thing. I still to today don't know how I explained to her the sexual and fantasy part of it, but I did and it wasn't easy. I would say clean the slate, your there now and feel free. That day I told her I lifted a building off my shoulders, at times I do cross the line and break the closet promise and take stupid chances or just do careless things. I make sure as bad as it is I tell her and I believe she appreciates the honestly.
    Only you know your wife and all I can do is offer you my life experience and for me the honestly was the best policy and it feels so good not to worry about what she's going to find out about and feel free in your life. Good luck

I am in total agreement with Micki.

It's obviously your life, do what you want. However, since you asked here, I would say it's time for full transparency. If you continue to keep a secret now, she will most likely wonder what other secrets you are hiding. As Micki said, your wife will be continually off guard if you go slow or peel back the layers - which will not be beneficial to you. It sounds like you have a good deal of communication going on. I would recommend that you be truthful with everything, no more secrets.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I worry the way u throw "I" and "we", in and out of your post, Brandi. U need to make up your mind which it's to be. And, if u want it to be "we"?

Take Micki's advice!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Platinum Member
    What I am reading in this thread is you're controlling the entire discussion. She knows what you want her to know. You make assumption she has to know although you have not told her. I agree with the other responses so far. You are actually intending to have it your way. You have laid out your game plan which seems to be already etched in granite. You dress when you're away on business. I got the impression that is a take it or leave it declaration. You tell her you have to do it all the way in order to be fulfilled from which she has to deduce you have all the trappings for it. What is left to discuss? What boundaries are left? Maybe you need to lay it ALL out to her so she can make an informed decision whether she can live with it. Telling her about your underdressing seems to be the least of the forthcoming problems.

Banned Read only
    Brandi,
    I feel you need to know why you really have the need to dress and underdress . At the moment you're asking as if you're doing something wrong , maybe just do it without feeling to ask permission , you have the free choice on your own body . I will suggest if you do do it on a daily basis don't go OTT with something too sexy , I like to think my underwear looks OK but my choice is made more on comfort as I have to tuck all the time . Finding a reason to underdess in a bra is more tricky , don't assume she knows you have forms , discovering that could freak her out . That's why initially I used home made ( double layered water filled balloons ) if my wife discovered I had froms with nipples she wouldn't have been happy . The funny thing is I've stuck with my homemade forms because they work so well and tick all the boxes for me .

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie47 View Post
    You dress when you're away on business. What is left to discuss? What boundaries are left? Telling her about your underdressing seems to be the least of the forthcoming problems.
    The discussion bores me ! Can't wait until your wife finally asks "So,who are you dressing for?" And,if your comfort level is now about strutting your stuff alone in a hotel mirror,your wife may figure that your self admiration won't last and you'll hit the streets ! So,then you get to have that "sexuality discussion" with her ! You have barely started in this and you need to "get it all out" as others said...
    It SURE is my hair ! I have the receipt and the box it came in !

For me and personal experience.
    My wife discovered my dressing long ago. We cried and talked and it was ok for a bit then she couldn't handle it.
    I went back in the closet and tried to keep it there. Fast forward another 25 years and I just couldn't hide anymore. I sat her down and we talked and I told her the whole story. It was "make or break" but I just couldn't keep it from her any more. It wasn't fair to her or to me. Thankfully we were in a position where it was no longer the big deal it was years before. She began accepting and is my biggest supporter in all way. We have become so much closer as I can share All of me with her and not hold parts back.

That's me...this is your life.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Banned Read only
    Cheryl,
    I'm sure your outcome is what most of us can only hope for , if the person struggling with TG issues is still the good person underneath , sense should prevail , it can be worked out . At the end of the day it depends how much hurt and ill feelings have been tossed back and forth , sometimes nothing can heal the pain inflicted on each other .

Silver Member
    Brandi. Micki and Char GG nailed it. Regardless of the extent of your crossdressing, you have to tell her!!! DON"T KEEP ANY SECRETS during this period of discussion, if you really want her to try and understand you.

I don?t know if this is going to work?

First off I was/am planning on telling her about my stuff, and the underdressing too. As of last night I pretty much told her about what I have, my "stuff," she now knows that I have makeup, wigs etc? Not just clothes. She knows how I got it too. I haven't mentioned the AM underdressing yet.

I could tell she was unhappy when I got home yesterday so I asked her what it was and if I could help she said something about banning or stopping the internet. She had been back online and is reading all the trans affirming comments to questions about relationships like ours, i.e. one with a crossdressing husband. The consensus is to accept it, and she feels she is a bad wife (Or that society sees her as a bad wife) for not being able to accept it and opposing my crossdressing. I told her I am thankful she is as accepting as she has been, that she did not throw me out when I first told her, that she is not a bad wife but a fantastic one, for all sorts of reasons. I emphasized that my crossdressing is not a reflection on her at all but she sees it that way.

We talked for a couple hours later before going to bed, she wants me to find some sort of aversion therapy, she sees this as an addiction, something that is wrong. I don't want aversion therapy, I like what I do, the way it makes me feel, I really don?t know why but I do. She is comparing it to gambling or heroin addiction, and that if I dress or buy more clothes I am adding to my addiction. She sees her choices as accepting it, which she doesn't want to do, or opposing it, causing strife between us.

I see she loves me, she truly cares for me, I absolutely know this, why can she not accept that this is a part of me, it is not a reflection on her, it is all me. She is also saying I won't compromise on this, what is there to compromise? It looks to me like either I stop, or keep doing it, those are my choices, that is not a compromise? I did a count, I have dressed up 17 times since May 2018, yes it is a part of me, yes, it can consume me if I let it, and yes, part of me just wants to stop it right now, throw it all away, but I also know it will just return again and I'll be right here in the same exact place. And I did ask her what she thinks a compromise is in this situation.

I am hoping things cool down, and I understand I dumped a huge mess in her lap a few weeks ago, maybe this is just a part the process of her accepting it in the long run. I truly hope so?
    ...Damsel in distress.

I somehow missed exactly WHEN you told her but I believe it takes a while for some newly informed wives to come to grips with their feelings. Meaning, sometimes it takes a few years, not days. You have known about yourself for many years but it's (apparently) a new thing for her. I realize it's hard to do but my thought is, don't try to rush the process.

Banned Read only
    Brandi,
    My wife also hoped there was a cure for CDing as if it was an illness . This attitude tends to make us appeasing and submissive , even considering she may throw you out of you own home .

I do feel you really have to get it together and decide where you need or would like to go , the fact you've only dressed 17 times since 2018 is unimportant the fact is you do it and have all the items to do it as much or as little as you choose . I personally had the need 24/7 even then the suppression was overwhelming at times , it became so bad for me I ceased to function so something had to be done .

Purging is not an answer because it doesn't remove the need , I had vey few clothes for some time so I did use my wife's to satisfy my needs .

I suggested finding a social group , how would she feel about that , my wife did surprise me by accepting I joined one . Obviously her fears were me being seen and the possibility I might be gay , it was the best thing I ever did .

hello Brandi,
    share it all - don't hold anything back.
    between you you reach an agreement, even if your wife does not communicate it you will understand!
    stay healthy,
    luv J

Brandi,

Also keep in mind that she probably has nobody she can talk to about this.
    I know my wife has mentioned that to me on more then 1 occasion.

If only she could find a way to talk about this with other wives of CDers.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandi Christine View Post
    I am hoping things cool down, and I understand I dumped a huge mess in her lap a few weeks ago, maybe this is just a part the process of her accepting it in the long run. I truly hope so?
    Brandi Christine, I can't speak for your wife, but in a similar situation for 11 months now, I considerably reduced the crossdressing frequency (I brought it to a stop nine months ago) because it proved very complicated for my wife to process the blow and have these important discussions with me if at the same time I kept doing it. Maybe this is a challenge for your wife too?

As for the crossdressing she knows I have a stash of clothing but hasn't asked any real questions about it, questions like about wigs, forms, pictures, makeup. I have stated I need to be all female and passable when I dress up, it's not just a clothes thing, I am assuming she realizes I have all the accoutrements needed to do that. That's fair isn't it?
    No it's not because you are choosing what she can know and what she shan't for your own comfort. You mentioned giving her the facts in small bits, one after another. Like Micki said you are controlling the game here. In my opinion you didn't have a real talk with her if you kept some facts to you (I did that mistake too because my wife was taking blow after blow with my revelations. My wife insisted that I laid out everything on the table, NO MORE SECRETS). You may be thinking that you are shielding her by delivering the information in gradual steps, but what it is really doing to her is probably burning her a little deeper each time, because of what you reveal, and because she knows that you lied once more. She isn't a child and needs your full honesty in this situation. Since you decided to open up to her, then tell her the whole story and details, otherwise you seem to be doing this for your own good and not hers. You love her, you will find the strength to do it right. She deserves and is entitled to it.
    Last edited by DianeT; 09-24-2020 at 06:20 PM.

Silver Member
    Brandi, you are playing games with her, telling her what you feel the need to tell her, and when. You are just digging a deeper hole for you to fall into. Do it NOW. Tell her everything !!! And, tell her that you are the same fella she loved and married, but that you don't know why you dress. Be her MAN at every opportunity .

I haven't read every comment on this thread yet, but the few I've read are along the lines of "Tell her everything right now and don't string it out." In my case, I just don't see that as necessarily the only or best advice. My personal experience is that it's been better for me to let her know that I'm trying to balance being truthful against the very real possibility of overwhelming her. I've made it clear that my taste extends beyond what she's comfortable with and I haven't gone into great detail about specifics. The things I've made clear are that I'm heterosexual, monogamous and that I love my role as the man in our relationship.

In my marriage I treat it more as a want-to-know basis. When she either says or shows that a particular issue makes her uncomfortable, I back off but try to make it clear that I'm backing off for her. She knows that I would wear a bra and makeup, given a choice, but I'm not pushing it on her. We don't have hard boundaries but have both seemed to try and reach a balance.

On Sunday I shared it all, everything. Very rocky since then, bad ups & worse downs. Since then per her I have deleted my pinterest (kind of useless anyway) and my deviant art (sounds worst then it is). She considers my posting of any pics to be cheating, it is what it is, they are gone now.

She is also furious with my therapist, and at one point wanted me off of this forum too (that's what she told me, she now claims she did not mean this site, that it was a misunderstanding, I really don't think so). Not a very happy household right now, we are fighting, not sure where things are going.
    ...Damsel in distress.

Quote Originally Posted by Bea_ View Post
    My personal experience is that it's been better for me to let her know that I'm trying to balance being truthful against the very real possibility of overwhelming her.
    And my personal experience for me for 36 years is that it's been better for me to not tell my wife about crossdressing...
    This kind of rationalization goes a long way.
    If your wife has specifically requested that you keep some details to you, then all good and my apologies. If she hasn't, then the two of you should discuss again. I'm not saying that you should deliver the whole story to her in one shot. You may need to do it in smaller bites. But if I were you I would make sure that it is the way she wants it, and that when she's ready and asking for it you will tell her the rest.
    Some of my crossdressing fantasies extended beyond what my wife could withstand. I told her about them so she knows exactly how I am wired. As she's not comfortable with them, they will stay fantasies (tbh they probably would have stayed fantasies anyway). But I told her, so nothing is hidden, and nothing will pop up by accident later. It took a series of talks to get there. At some point I had spilled the last bit I could imagine, and told my wife that to the best of my knowledge I had delivered it all to her. I missed a couple of things back then and told them to my wife later as they came back to mind during further conversations. It hurt her each time.

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Not a very happy household right now, we are fighting, not sure where things are going.
    My wife had mostly downs at the beginning, she was very upset by some of the revelations (mostly the lying and stealing her stuff, in addition to being weirded out by the dressing itself) and got very angry at one point (I think when she realized I had somehow trapped her, by letting her invest a lifelong in our couple while I had not been honest with her from the start). Try to not fight back but rather take it in and listen. I know it's easier said than done. She may say things that will hurt you. Remember that she's hurt in the first place, and when a person aches she might say things difficult to hear. I've been there, and began to regret having come out, and said stupid things too (that I regretted having told her, how is that for stupid and insensitive, once the cat is out of the bag and the damage done?). I finally got my act together and listened to her pain instead of pitying myself. And then it got better.
    Your wife is hurt, lost and needs love, patience and understanding in spades. Don't fight back but be there for her in these rough times.

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Natalie5004 View Post
    If only she could find a way to talk about this with other wives of CDers.
    She can join this forum, and especially the sheltered GG section (FAB) where she can get support from other wives who've been through this. My wife did and it helped (it also worsened her fears of my transitioning because this site seems to have it that all crossdressers are on that path to some extent. THAT didn't help. But apart from that, it's been beneficial).
    Last edited by DianeT; 09-26-2020 at 07:12 PM.

Banned Read only
    Brandi,
    I hope the dust does settle , I know from personal experince it will take time .

I will add that now the damage is done there is no going back to how things were , you're a changed person as far as yopur wife is concerned , another side she never knew existed . At least all the cards are now on the table and you can now think seriously about where you want to progress onto . I'm going to suggest you don't give up on counselling , your wife wants it to stop because she knows she's going to hear thing she doesn't want to hear . My wife buried her head in the sand over counselling , the only way out was working round the brick wall she'd built , I also knew I couldn't go back to the way it was , I was finally trying to be honest with everyone , I feel that is all you can do now and see how the cookie crumbles .

In a previous post, it seems that when Brandi requested support in the event she would want to go on HRT, the therapist said yes without further ado. That would make me mad as a wife. We don't know this therapist and what Brandi disclosed to her wife about the conversations they had. So we don't know why the wife wants her out of the picture.

As usual,I wish some forum members would stop mixing up "CDing" and Transgender issues in their replies. One is about the clothes and the other is based in the brain. They require two different types of discussions with a spouse !
    It SURE is my hair ! I have the receipt and the box it came in !

More long talks and yes things are rocky, lots of ups and down, and I expect more.

I did the right thing by telling her all of it, and both of us have stepped back and thought about it, and both of us love each other, on that we agree. There was heated discussion about things and both of us agree we said the wrong things to and heard the wrong things from each other. We are past that.

As far as the therapist I have taken a break for now, the decision was made in the light of some of what was pointed out to me about her by my wife, my therapist is very active in the trans community, is for open relationships, and may have been pushing me towards a place I may or may not really want to go, I am not sure. But I do know I cannot go there and stay together with my best friend, my partner, my wife... There were times I would go to my appointment kinda down on what I was doing, depressed about it and not really wanting to dress, and come out ready to put my heels on and be 100% the girl. When I asked about hormones and she said yes, she didn't probe any further or ask me any questions in response, Maybe she told me what I wanted to hear, not necessarily what I needed. And yes, my wife knows about that particular conversation.

As for the pictures I am a little sad about that, the affirmations are something I look forward to, but my wife is a very private person and I understand that. There is a part of me that knows amongst the other crossdressers and maybe trans-girls that are telling me I am pretty, that I dress cute, there are also men telling me that and thinking that and maybe even jerking off to my pictures, a wife doesn't want to think that about her husband... There is a part of me that thinks maybe in the future I can get those affirmations from her knowing it is something I love. Maybe she will be ok with me putting pictures here (it is such a pain having to resize and all, and only 10...). She has also told me things she has always thought but never said about the male me, truly good and affirming things, and I appreciate that. My wife is stunning and wonderful, I tell her at times, but not nearly as often as I think about it, think about her, who'd have though she thought the same way about me.

She wants to know if I get wrapped up in the 'pink fog' (A term I am still trying to explain to her) and will help me get through it, knowing that I am not going to stop dressing up, but don't want to go any further, and if I did, the price is too high anyway. She knows I will dress up when out of town but doesn't want me walking around outside en femme more for my own safety than anything else, which I understand. I also volunteered to not buy anything feminine related without telling her, my way of slowing things down. And maybe, just maybe, there is a small chance someday she might help me with shopping...

On Sunday morning I was up early as usual (my me time is in the morning) and she came down stairs. She now knows I underdress in the morning, one of the things I told her, she hugged me while I was wearing a bra and panties, it was a surreal moment for me. Again I know she doesn't really like it, but she was accepting of it. That means a lot. I think of all I have dropped on her I the last two weeks and I am surprised and grateful for her response...
    ...Damsel in distress.